Tenn. has no class.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I’d like to have no class like that. They’re playing to impress the selection committee. They’ve never had any class, but I don’t blame them for this.
I disagree. That's a ****** thing to do no matter who you think you are or who you think you're trying to impress.

Reactions: CochiseCowbell

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I disagree. That's a ****** thing to do no matter who you think you are or who you think you're trying to impress.
They’ve never had any “class”. They win at all costs…. See: Phil, Fat.

But in this instance, I don’t have a problem with it. They haven’t been relevant in decades, and they have a slight shot at the playoffs.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have never been around a lot of Tn fans but I will say that the past 2-3 years at the SEC baseball tournament their fans have really shown their asses. I mean when you have a dozen State and LSU baseball fans sitting in a big circle talking baseball and every orange shirt that walks by has to mouth off like they matter. They’re getting right up there with OM fans in the Grove at EggBowl obnoxious.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’d like to have no class like that. They’re playing to impress the selection committee. They’ve never had any class, but I don’t blame them for this.
It was 59-24. They didn’t need anymore style points. Just take knees and end the game.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You may be right. But I don’t blame them for scoring all they can. It’s Missouri’s job to stop them anyway. Most great coaches ran up the score a lot. Saban had Bryce Young throwing the ball in the 4th quarter up 42-3 vs Vandy earlier this year. So what?

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Exactly.

I want our opponents to hate us. That means we're kicking azz.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I don't see how a late TD impresses the committee anymore than the 25 point win would. Those guys are examining the games, not just reading scores and metrics.

HVACVol

Mar 30, 2022
They had their back up players in the game the last 14 points. Surely Missouris first string players should be able to stop backups.

Reactions: patdog

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Up 59 - 24 with 2:00 left in the game and throw a long pass to run up the score and call timeout to set a scoring play. 3 knees and the game is over but they want to run up the score. Glad CBS switched to another game. No class Smokey.
Well in a bit of TN’s defense… Drinkwitz ran his mouth about TN in the off-season. Apparently it wasn’t forgotten.

Reactions: HVACVol and patdog

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
Up 59 - 24 with 2:00 left in the game and throw a long pass to run up the score and call timeout to set a scoring play. 3 knees and the game is over but they want to run up the score. Glad CBS switched to another game. No class Smokey.
The sun is wet. The water rises in the east.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
My job as a coach is to coach for 60 minutes- my players’ job is to play for 60 min - if I have my backups in the game and you can’t stop me, eff you, coach better

reminds me of Jack saying something along the lines one year about LSU putting in their 3rd string and Jack saying that should even things up - I also think that was the he game where his Sonic Drive of the game was his drive back to Tupelo

Dog.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
Earlier this season, the Mississippi Black Bears scored from the 1 yard line vs Vanderbilt with only 0:18 left in the game. No one complained about it. It was 1st and goal so they didn’t even have to snap it. They won 52-38 instead of 45-28. They were DEFINITELY going fast in order to score to run it up in that last minute.

hailstate19

Nov 7, 2015
I have never been around a lot of Tn fans but I will say that the past 2-3 years at the SEC baseball tournament their fans have really shown their asses. I mean when you have a dozen State and LSU baseball fans sitting in a big circle talking baseball and every orange shirt that walks by has to mouth off like they matter. They’re getting right up there with OM fans in the Grove at EggBowl obnoxious.
They tend to be pretty bad. Some random Tennessee fan in Colorado saw my state hat, and just started talking smack out of the blue. This was prior to baseball season, and he talked about how Mississippi State is garbage. Then he talked about how Tennessee was going to win the baseball natty lol. Dude didn’t even relize state won the baseball championship, tried to save face, and said he forgot. I don’t normally care to engage in that stuff, but It was a different level of dumb. I laughed pretty hard at that guy

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I could of told you this post 1998 SEC Championship game. My (now ex-) wife almost beat the **** out of an unruly UT fan while watching the game (after we took the lead). Nevermind, when my son (UofL swimmer, team captain) has competed against UT, they are total dicks. They spit in the lanes of their competitors, and their overall attitude is ****.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah, it’s stupid, but it’s a division/conference blowout against a possible bowl team and that can’t hurt angling for a potential CFP berth.

When the committee looks back at the body of work in a few weeks and sees 66-24, they’re not going to remember that the last score was in garbage time.

At this point, they’re a TCU or USC loss away from getting in unless (checks notes) 4-6 South Carolina or 4-6 Vanderbilt stop them.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You don’t want them to run up the score them stop em!
Like that last TD Georgia scored. Kirby wasn't even trying to run the score up. Our defense got out of position. You can't tell the guy to lay down and not score.

Reactions: Yeti

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
My job as a coach is to coach for 60 minutes- my players’ job is to play for 60 min - if I have my backups in the game and you can’t stop me, eff you, coach better

reminds me of Jack saying something along the lines one year about LSU putting in their 3rd string and Jack saying that should even things up - I also think that was the he game where his Sonic Drive of the game was his drive back to Tupelo
And yet the vast majority of coaches, professional or otherwise would take 3 knees. Caring about your players and team is certainly a priority, but coaches should also have respect for the game, and at least enough compassion/sportsmanship to not deliberately try to humiliate their opponent.

Now if, as a coach you don't give a damn about good sportsmanship, then by all means embarrass those kids on the other side. Hey, it's their own damn fault if they aren't good enough to stop you from being the unsportsmanlike dick that you are.

What a great lesson to teach your own kids about life, since so many talk about "molding young men of character", etc.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Tennessee? Have you read this board?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
When the committee looks back at the body of work in a few weeks and sees 66-24, they’re not going to remember that the last score was in garbage time.
But it shouldn't make a difference. Beating Mizzou by 42 vs. 35 shouldn't move the needle at all.

And I think the committee certainly will remember how the score came about. They take their duties seriously and examine all data points. There is no doubt that a member advocating for UT to be left out of the playoffs will point out the garbage time scores should the Mizzou score become relevant.

This isn't like the old poll days, with biased members just haphazardly filling out a list on zsunday morning. This is an open and ongoing discussion full of stats and game film.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
But it shouldn't make a difference. Beating Mizzou by 42 vs. 35 shouldn't move the needle at all.

And I think the committee certainly will remember how the score came about. They take their duties seriously and examine all data points. There is no doubt that a member advocating for UT to be left out of the playoffs will point out the garbage time scores should the Mizzou score become relevant.

This isn't like the old poll days, with biased members just haphazardly filling out a list on zsunday morning. This is an open and ongoing discussion full of stats and game film.
Tennessee's post Georgia schedule is Charmin soft (Mizzou, South Carolina, Vanderbilt). Unfortunately, their last non-Charmin game was a loss where they didn't score a touchdown until nearly the end of the fourth quarter.

In the meantime, the schools they're competing against for that last spot all have 1-3 Top 25 matchups ahead of them:
USC - #16 UCLA, #18 Notre Dame, #10 Utah/#13 Oregon (Pac-12 Championship)
TCU - #15 Kansas State/#22 OK State (Big 12 Championship)
Clemson - #13 North Carolina (ACC Championship)
North Carolina - #24 NC State, #9 Clemson (ACC Championship)
Ohio State - #3 Michigan
Michigan - #2 Ohio State

So yes, I think point-spread makes a difference when you don't have any more resume-builders on the schedule.

If nothing else, it doesn't hurt them. Committee members can shoot down its importance, but Tennessee gains nothing by NOT scoring there.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Tennessee's post Georgia schedule is Charmin soft (Mizzou, South Carolina, Vanderbilt). Unfortunately, their last non-Charmin game was a loss where they didn't score a touchdown until nearly the end of the fourth quarter.

In the meantime, the schools they're competing against for that last spot all have 1-3 Top 25 matchups ahead of them:
USC - #16 UCLA, #18 Notre Dame, #10 Utah/#13 Oregon (Pac-12 Championship)
TCU - #15 Kansas State/#22 OK State (Big 12 Championship)
Clemson - #13 North Carolina (ACC Championship)
North Carolina - #24 NC State, #9 Clemson (ACC Championship)
Ohio State - #3 Michigan
Michigan - #2 Ohio State

So yes, I think point-spread makes a difference when you don't have any more resume-builders on the schedule.

If nothing else, it doesn't hurt them. Committee members can shoot down its importance, but Tennessee gains nothing by NOT scoring there.
If the Michigan/OSU game is decided by a field goal do either leave the playoff? My guess is they stay. I don't see UT getting in after the way they lost to Georgia.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If the Michigan/OSU game is decided by a field goal do either leave the playoff? My guess is they stay. I don't see UT getting in after the way they lost to Georgia.
I'm thinking the same thing too. I think it's going to have to be a 3 score win to drop either of them out. I think Michigan has a much weaker case for staying in with a loss because their schedule was so soft.

I feel like there are only two ways that the Big Ten doesn't get those two in:
1. A blowout in Ohio State-Michigan
2. A multi-score loss by the winner of Ohio State-Michigan in the Big Ten Championship because the Big Ten West is like the bottom half of the SEC West and East combined.

And that's assuming TCU, USC, Tennessee, and Clemson or UNC win out.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Good thing your boys weren't around when Tom Osborne was coaching at Nebraska. 60-70 points plus was not unheard of by those ********.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022

, but Tennessee gains nothing by NOT scoring there.
Except for a lot of respect.

There's simply no way that one extra TD could mean the difference between UT getting in the playoff, or even one of the Top bowls. Mizzou won't be in the Top 25, so the score of the game doesn't even come under condideration. Game control is an important metric, but a last minute TD like that cannot affect Game Control.

HVACVol

Mar 30, 2022
Except for a lot of respect.

There's simply no way that one extra TD could mean the difference between UT getting in the playoff, or even one of the Top bowls. Mizzou won't be in the Top 25, so the score of the game doesn't even come under condideration. Game control is an important metric, but a last minute TD like that cannot affect Game Control.
Where is the complaints about USC doing the same thing with 30 seconds to go on the same day. They had their starters in against a 1-8 team. Tennessee had their back ups in the last 14 points Against Missouri‘s starters.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login