Tenn lost 28 scholarships. In age of NIL does that really matter?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I think it does. Scholarship + NIL > NIL. I would assume that the NIL in the equation would be close at both places. As a highly recruited athlete it is mentally hard to pay for stuff and unless they really want to go to UT, I don't see them cutting checks.

However UT does have that HOPE scholarship that we complain about for Vandy Baseball. Don't see how the punishment could touch that. Funny how it always seemed to be applied to Vandy when UT could have been bolstered by it also.

Last edited:

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
How can a scholly be retroactive ? Are the players having to reimburse the tuition ?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
It’s not that big of a deal for another reason- most teams don’t carry a full 85 anyway. A real punishment would have been to reduce the number of signees they could take.

Reactions: Dawgpile

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Guess I am sort of asking but in the past there were strict rules about which players could be a walk on. I was thinking if you were a recruited player they had to count against your total scholarship count. So, even with NIL, if you don't have a scholarship available I am not sure how a recruited player would be allowed to remain on your roster?

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s not that big of a deal for another reason- most teams don’t carry a full 85 anyway. A real punishment would have been to reduce the number of signees they could take.
Very true. Also, they didn't lose 28 scholarships. They were never more than 8 short in any year and only 4 short for the next 3 years. They'll barely even notice it.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Very true. Also, they didn't lose 28 scholarships. They were never more than 8 short in any year and only 4 short for the next 3 years. They'll barely even notice it.
Meanwhile, people freaked tf out when Leach didn’t have a full 85

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
It is all about the relative levels on NIL $ among the SEC schools & exactly where Tennessee ranks which despite any reports is totally unknown. It also takes significantly more NIL $ to replace lost scholarship $ because NIL compensation is taxable income.

Last edited:

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I think it does. Scholarship + NIL > NIL. I would assume that the NIL in the equation would be close at both places. As a highly recruited athlete it is mentally hard to pay for stuff and unless they really want to go to UT, I don't see them cutting checks.

However UT does have that HOPE scholarship that we complain about for Vandy Baseball. Don't see how the punishment could touch that. Funny how it always seemed to be applied to Vandy when UT could have been bolstered by it also.
I didn't think the issue with Vandy was the HOPE.
I thought it was the Merit Scholarships that are applicable to all of Vandy Students. One of them has a goal of "anyone admitted to Vandy can attend even if they cannot afford it" Which make it "legal" to offset the Tuition.

Reactions: bolddogge

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I thought it was the Merit Scholarships that are applicable to all of Vandy Students. One of them has a goal of "anyone admitted to Vandy can attend even if they cannot afford it" Which make it "legal" to offset the Tuition.
If that's the case, then I am wrong. I thought the TN state HOPE thing was the benefit that didn't count against athletic scholarships. Yes it would have to be a player from TN.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If that's the case, then I am wrong. I thought the TN state HOPE thing was the benefit that didn't count against athletic scholarships. Yes it would have to be a player from TN.
Players receiving Academic scholarships count against the 85 in FB and the 13 in Basketball.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
^^^^SPOT ON^^^

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I'm sure they use the HOPE too.

But the biggest is the massive amount of money they have and the tiny student body.

Corbin would find a kid whose family makes $60k a year that could play, and the " affordable scholarship grant" pays for everything since Vandy's tuition is $70k

Reactions: Bulldog Bruce
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login