Tennessee being Aggressive with NIL

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Better do the same. We may not have many tickets sold but it play or leave

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Until schools can pay players, meaning revenue sharing, they can't do that. The case is still out there spinning with the woman judge who has no clue about anything college football related.
And we've already announced increases in season tickets by the way.

Reactions: onewoof

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This is why NIL and revenue sharing was so terrible for us (MSU-specific). Yeah, everyone thinks that the money will come out of TV revenue, and it will technically, but that loss is now borne by donors.

You know what else is about to be the responsibility of donors? Non-revenue sports.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
We should go ahead and eliminate some sports but we aren't sharp enough to do that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Until schools can pay players, meaning revenue sharing, they can't do that. The case is still out there spinning with the woman judge who has no clue about anything college football related.
And we've already announced increases in season tickets by the way.
I bet they can. And will. This is the kind of thinking that’s held Mississippi State back for 100 years. And I bet the players never see a dime from our price increases. And we’ll fall even further behind.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
But generally, schools will have the option of funding up to 22% of their annual revenue, or about $22 million, to pay athletes. It could work sort of like a salary cap for college sports, but that structure is also murky.
How would this be a salary cap? 22% can be uniform across the board, but the annual revenue isn't.
Paying athletes for their name, image and likeness could still be a factor in landing and retaining top players. But NIL’s place in a revenue-sharing model is uncertain.
I don't see NIL and collectives going away with revenue sharing. You can share as much revenue with the players as you want. That doesn't allow you to tell them they can't cash in their name, image, and likeness. As long as fans are willing to fund collectives, they will be used to entice players to sign with a particular school.

Reactions: patdog

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I really love how we pay players now, but everyone else already bellied up to the trough is keeping their same cut.

College football just out here doing a real-time modern monetary theory experiment.

Reactions: HRMSU

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I really love how we pay players now, but everyone else already bellied up to the trough is keeping their same cut.

College football just out here doing a real-time modern monetary theory experiment.
This ^^^^^ I know we should give as much as we can if we want to win. For the record, I give to the BI. Not a huge amount but I give so maybe that qualifies me to complain. I have been amazed at how the burden to pay for all these changes is put on the fan, and everybody seems to just say that is the way it is while literally everybody else involved with college football continues to make huge amounts of money. I hate people that say if you do not give then you are not a fan or your opinion should not matter. I know there are legal hurdles and challenges to everything I am about to suggest, but 17 it the money should be coming from the tv deals, from the rising tuition costs, from the overpaid ad's and coaches, and everybody else that is getting fat off this system not the everyday fan.

Last edited:

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
This ^^^^^ I know we should give as much as we can if we want to win. For the record, I give to the BI. Not a huge amount but I give so maybe that qualifies me to complain. I have been amazed at how the burden to pay for all these changes is put on the fan, and everybody seems to just say that is way it is while literally everybody else involved with college football continues to make huge amounts of money. I hate people that say if you do not give then you are not a fan or your opinion should not matter. I know there are legal hurdles and challenges to everything I am about to suggest, but 17 it the money should be coming from the tv deals, from the rising tuition costs, from the overpaid ad's and coaches, and everybody else that is getting fat off this system not the everyday fan.
Who is making the huge amounts of money? I've always seen this argument, but GENERALLY the only people making in the millions are the coaches. I know ADs and commissioners do well, and now certain star players, but the majority of people are just making normal salaries.

I keep wondering when we're going to blame the ones we should be blaming......the coaches. But we really can't blame them either, ADs and boosters pay them. So it's the fans' fault right?

And that gets to my point.....there's no one to blame. We act like there is a boogeyman out there getting rich and pulling strings.....there isn't.

patdog

May 28, 2007
This ^^^^^ I know we should give as much as we can if we want to win. For the record, I give to the BI. Not a huge amount but I give so maybe that qualifies me to complain. I have been amazed at how the burden to pay for all these changes is put on the fan, and everybody seems to just say that is way it is while literally everybody else involved with college football continues to make huge amounts of money. I hate people that say if you do not give then you are not a fan or your opinion should not matter. I know there are legal hurdles and challenges to everything I am about to suggest, but 17 it the money should be coming from the tv deals, from the rising tuition costs, from the overpaid ad's and coaches, and everybody else that is getting fat off this system not the everyday fan.
I completely agree with you. But we have two choices. Get on board with NIL or go back to the Shira era. Bitching about facts won’t change anything.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I completely agree with you. But we have two choices. Get on board with NIL or go back to the Shira era. Bitching about facts won’t change anything.
Is it? I still wonder if we can go big on basketball NIL and somehow moneyball football.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Who is making the huge amounts of money? I've always seen this argument, but GENERALLY the only people making in the millions are the coaches. I know ADs and commissioners do well, and now certain star players, but the majority of people are just making normal salaries.

I keep wondering when we're going to blame the ones we should be blaming......the coaches. But we really can't blame them either, ADs and boosters pay them. So it's the fans' fault right?

And that gets to my point.....there's no one to blame. We act like there is a boogeyman out there getting rich and pulling strings.....there isn't.
That’s what I’ve been saying all along. You can blame the courts for NIL existing in its current state and you can blame the fans for the amount of money that is getting pumped into it. We had a 10 year run where we were at least a decent team and that was because of two things. Dan Mullen and the SEC welfare check. Now things have gotten more free market and we have less fans with less disposable income and significantly less fans within short distance to our football stadium.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
....and on top what Lucifer said.... the schools: "Aw we ain't got money to improve stadium amenities. Just give us more money for your bleacher seat. "

Smart schools will jump on adding premium seating to get more donations. Offer a better product, then you can ask for premium pricing. Especially at Mississippi State.

Reactions: mcdawg22 and patdog

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022

I never said there was a boogeyman out there. I simply said, or tried to say that it is crazy to expect the fan at the bottom to be the one footing the bill while others seem to be raking it in. Who is making huge amounts of money? Of the top of my head coaches, ad's, commissioners, everybody in the college football playoff committee, tv executives, and advertisers. I am sure I left some folks out as well.

Reactions: HRMSU

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I am not bitching I ponied up to the table and gave so I feel like I should be able to point out how dumb it is top expect the average fan to foot the bill for everything given everything from groceries to basically ever other bill in their lives has gone up. It is getting blood from a turnip at this point.

Reactions: HRMSU and patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Short answer is, we can’t. At least not the football part.
I personally do not think we have the ability to match our SEC peers. We can shame our own all we want to, but it won't change that physical fact.

So we can literally waste money and maintain our position, or we can get smart with the little that we have, and maybe move up a few positions. This is why I advocate for a niche offense. I also would like to spend nearly all our NIL on defense. And like Leach says, we need to target guys that need football. We would also need a recruiting strategy that is repeatable. All these things we need to get super clear on, from the top to the bottom, so it can span from one president/coach/AD/staffer/etc. to another.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Why do you hate America?

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I'm reading a bunch and sensing a lot of commie sentiment in this thread.

AND I DON'T LIKE IT!

either we pay to play or we hop off the bus.

Give to the Bulldog Initiative now! And if you can't do that, buy whatever the university is selling at whatever price they ask. Because it ain't getting no better.

MORE COLD HARD FACTS!

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Why do you hate America?
No hate for America at all. I hate the fact that college football fans the lowest people on the totem pole are once again getting screwed in the name of profit and greed. And honestly I do not think you really understand communism or your just trolling. Either way it was some what funny I suppose.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

AND I DON'T LIKE IT!

Give to the Bulldog Initiative now! And if you can't do that, buy whatever the university is selling at whatever price they ask. Because it ain't getting no better.

MORE COLD HARD FACTS!
Until I get a % of ownership I will not pay a dime to players.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

AND I DON'T LIKE IT!

MORE COLD HARD FACTS!
If you personally feel the bus is heading off the cliff then it's a more nuanced decision now isn't it?

For the record I see the bus as college football not State only. This is now minor league football which requires a whole different management model. Do the Redbirds players get their salaries paid by some collective that Redbird and Cardinals fans contribute towards?

If you slow down and set the panic aside you'll realize this is a game we are not built to play no matter how much we give....I do love the prosperity gospel angle though ****

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
....and on top what Lucifer said.... the schools: "Aw we ain't got money to improve stadium amenities. Just give us more money for your bleacher seat. "

Smart schools will jump on adding premium seating to get more donations. Offer a better product, then you can ask for premium pricing. Especially at Mississippi State.
…as Missouri is proving/doing this now. They just approved and will start a major stadium expansion and renovation.

idog

Aug 17, 2010
I personally do not think we have the ability to match our SEC peers. We can shame our own all we want to, but it won't change that physical fact.

So we can literally waste money and maintain our position, or we can get smart with the little that we have, and maybe move up a few positions. This is why I advocate for a niche offense. I also would like to spend nearly all our NIL on defense. And like Leach says, we need to target guys that need football. We would also need a recruiting strategy that is repeatable. All these things we need to get super clear on, from the top to the bottom, so it can span from one president/coach/AD/staffer/etc. to another.
if UM is currenty doing it then we can. everyone's blaming NIL but i think the fact that we are in our third year of a different system/coach has a lot to do with the current situation. some stability would help

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006

You sure about that? If no one is making big money, they're wouldn't be college football on tv. ESPN wouldn't be writing a check to every SEC institute at the end of the year. Folks wouldn't pay premiums for commercials during those games if it didn't drive big revenue. Someone is most definitely making bank and doesn't want to give up profits to the free entertainment.

Blame the fans and make them subsidize labor sounds like an awesome idea! All agree!***

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
if UM is currenty doing it then we can. everyone's blaming NIL but i think the fact that we are in our third year of a different system/coach has a lot to do with the current situation. some stability would help
If OM changes coaches I wonder if they can sustain their current spending spree indefinitely .

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You sure about that? If no one is making big money, they're wouldn't be college football on tv. ESPN wouldn't be writing a check to every SEC institute at the end of the year. Folks wouldn't pay premiums for commercials during those games if it didn't drive big revenue. Someone is most definitely making bank and doesn't want to give up profits to the free entertainment.

Blame the fans and make them subsidize labor sounds like an awesome idea! All agree!***
Yeah but we talk about this mystical group of people calling shots and getting rich. In reality, it’s just a whole system of people working jobs and making business decisions.

As far as blaming fans, well….that’s who created this demand. And when NIL became legal, it was about 20% legit companies actually doing real deals….the rest was booster pay for play from collectives, formed by fans. It wasn’t the TV execs or ADs or conference commissioners who started those things, which aren’t true NIL.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
Yeah but we talk about this mystical group of people calling shots and getting rich. In reality, it’s just a whole system of people working jobs and making business decisions.

As far as blaming fans, well….that’s who created this demand. And when NIL became legal, it was about 20% legit companies actually doing real deals….the rest was booster pay for play from collectives, formed by fans. It wasn’t the TV execs or ADs or conference commissioners who started those things, which aren’t true NIL.
Don't disagree with it being a system but to the average fan, it makes no difference. Someone or entity is getting rich and the wrong folks are paying the tab. That doesn't happen in the NBA or the NFL. You might pay more tickets but you don't have direct deposit from my bank account.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Stability would help. But only if we have a decent coach. We had that with Leach, but sadly his heart caught up to him. Big problem with the Arnett hire. Too early to really judge Lebby, but early returns are worse than any of us ever imagined. Regardless, can’t really make a final judgement until next season, but if big improvements don’t come by then , he’s got to go too. But don’t kid yourself. Our biggest problem by far is the disaster our NIL program is. Fix that and everything else falls into place. Don’t fix it, and nothing else really matters.

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
I just tried to start a fund raiser on Facebook for our football team but nothing showed up as a non-profit. In fact, there were no other college teams that showed up as a non-profit. The hell?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login