Texas A&M boosters allegedly paid over $30 million for their #1 class...

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Pretty sure this is more than just a ‘message board’ in this instance.

$30M is probably worth it.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I think you guys should match it. I mean, if you wanna play ya gotta pay. Gotta be in it to win it

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Already discussed ad nauseum but not a shocker to see Texas A&M pay for recruits. They have been top 5-10 in recruiting since Jimbo got there and have always recruited well. Again, for the 56th time, the Trans A&M, Eric Dickerson, blah blah.

The only difference with Jimbo is that he values the DL, so he's probably concentrated the boosters there.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That's where Bama and Georgia are at. Multiply that times 4 years ...

LSU is about to go above that

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Already discussed ad nauseum but not a shocker to see Texas A&M pay for recruits. They have been top 5-10 in recruiting since Jimbo got there and have always recruited well. Again, for the 56th time, the Trans A&M, Eric Dickerson, blah blah.

The only difference with Jimbo is that he values the DL, so he's probably concentrated the boosters there.

Eric Dickerson? Nah, he played at SMU. Now, that program knew how to get the recruits. Of course, it was so bad that the NCAA made them shut down their football program because it was so bad. Those guys were the poster boys for NCAA cheating scandals.

codeDawg

Nov 13, 2007
https://gigemgazette.com/2022/01/06/texas-am-football-paying-price-2022-top-overall-class/

This came off of a message board so it could be completely false, but something tells me there is at least a kernel of truth. If this is the new reality of recruiting we are screwed or at the very least we ain't winning the SEC West anytime soon (not that we were going to anyway).

But but but if we legalize regulated payment to players it will ruin the purity of the game!

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Because it will still go on even if we pay the players except most schools won't have the money to get their 4 - 4 star players.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
Will A&M actually see any return on their investment? I'm just not convinced that Jimbo is worth all the money being thrown his way.

Dog316

Aug 21, 2012
There are very few coaches that can manage a rooster of 4 and 5 star players over a period of years. You see it happen often when coaches have won with a lesser star filled rooster move to a school loaded with the 4 and 5 guys only to fail. Jimbo had lost control at Florida State, and he will lose control at TAM. Not many Sabins around . . .

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Saban thanks Jimbo in advance for a couple of DLs who will be in the portal next year.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That's a lot of money to be 8&4. Is he going to do that every year? One class is not going to get you to where you need to be. Hell alot of those guys will transfer next year. Wasted money.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That's a lot of money to be 8&4. Is he going to do that every year? One class is not going to get you to where you need to be. Hell alot of those guys will transfer next year. Wasted money.

The highest paid coach per win, and it's not even close

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There are very few coaches that can manage a rooster of 4 and 5 star players over a period of years. You see it happen often when coaches have won with a lesser star filled rooster move to a school loaded with the 4 and 5 guys only to fail. Jimbo had lost control at Florida State, and he will lose control at TAM. Not many Sabins around . . .
Didn't he go through a divorce at the end while at FSU? I mean I hope you are right, because I hate aTm, but Jimbo is a national championship-winning coach, and built it back up himself from where Bowden had dropped. I think it's pretty obvious that they are adding talent.

I do think they'll choke it away, because that's what those weirdos do.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Big difference is now it's tax deductible for the boosters and taxable for the players....used to be the opposite. Boosters spent after tax money and players skated on income tax.

Last edited:

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
https://gigemgazette.com/2022/01/06/texas-am-football-paying-price-2022-top-overall-class/

This came off of a message board so it could be completely false, but something tells me there is at least a kernel of truth. If this is the new reality of recruiting we are screwed or at the very least we ain't winning the SEC West anytime soon (not that we were going to anyway).

Texas A&M does not scare me. They've been doing less with more since WW2. So, they'll have the best 8-4 team money can buy? Big whoop.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Funny story. I had a very good friend who was a major A&M supporter. In the summer of 1990 the Aggies had a very private recruiting "finance" meeting in Houston. On the same night Sen. Phil Gramm had a very important well publicized fund raiser in Dallas. Sen. Gramm raised 3 mil for his campaign...the Ags raised 4 mil for recruiting. True story.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Didn't he go through a divorce at the end while at FSU? I mean I hope you are right, because I hate aTm, but Jimbo is a national championship-winning coach, and built it back up himself from where Bowden had dropped. I think it's pretty obvious that they are adding talent.

I do think they'll choke it away, because that's what those weirdos do.

Yes, Jimbo won a natty at FSU. He also sold his soul to do it. He took on lots of questionable character types and couldn't control the culture. It cratered as fast as it got built up. And yes, he went through a divorce, but a big reason for is because she was banging football players. He was a **** with no control and no respect in the locker room.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Easily passes the sniff test for me. Two decades ago, we were already talking about $200k payments to get Albert Means to sign with Bama. Fast forward twenty years and while the average FBS school’s athletic department revenue has quadrupled, its increased by even more for most of the SEC.

I have zero doubt in my mind that the average 5* recruit costs anywhere from $1-3M, and a 4* is easily six figures. Multiply all that that by 25 or so signees per year, and there you have it

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Texas A&M does not scare me. They've been doing less with more since WW2. So, they'll have the best 8-4 team money can buy? Big whoop.
I agree but their 2012 and 2020 teams were nothing to sneeze at. I've said it before, it's likely that if they don't have a hurricane postponement in 2012, and therefore don't have to open with Florida (who they only lost to 20-17), it would have probably been them beating Notre Dame in the BCS that year rather than Alabama. They were the best team in the country at the end of the year (but fortunately the "best" doesn't always win the championship). 2020 was likely not a national championship team but 8-1 vs. all SEC is pretty good.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
My favorite way to describe how much stupid money the dbaggies have at their disposal...

When you watch a college coach's press conference there is always a backdrop sponsor. Usually it's a bank, hospital/health system, credit union, cell phone company, etc. Something that speaks to the masses. Not at A&M. It's a company called Opportune...

View attachment 23547

Opportune is a consulting firm for oil tycoons. They sponsor the backdrop because there is no better way to market to oil tycoons than through A&M football.

https://opportune.com/

Yet we still own there asses. I will say it for the 1000th time, we are nothing like A&M. They have done less with more than anyone since King George III lost the colonies.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
My favorite way to describe how much stupid money the dbaggies have at their disposal...

When you watch a college coach's press conference there is always a backdrop sponsor. Usually it's a bank, hospital/health system, credit union, cell phone company, etc. Something that speaks to the masses. Not at A&M. It's a company called Opportune...

View attachment 23547

Opportune is a consulting firm for oil tycoons. They sponsor the backdrop because there is no better way to market to oil tycoons than through A&M football.

https://opportune.com/

Yet we still own there asses. I will say it for the 1000th time, we are nothing like A&M. They have done less with more than anyone since King George III lost the colonies.
I don't agree with you on much, but I do here. We're more like Auburn and Clemson than aTm. The difference is, they are in bigger states thus have more fans. I guess we're most like Iowa State, except with more readily available talent, whereas they have an easier schedule.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
They will still finish no higher than 4th in the conference. Maybe it pays off in the expansion but opting out of bowls isn’t going to get them a ROI.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think the ceiling is high for A&M and Jimbo. All comes down to QB development though. It's pretty clear they're recruiting at a high enough level to put All Americans all over the OL, DL, WR, TE, etc.

If I were buying stock in programs, I would buy this one.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I agree. It’s easy to point at recent history and say “hey, they haven’t been able to do much yet.” The thing is, though, that once upon a time… you could say the same about LSU, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida.

When you amass talent like this year in and year out, at some point you’re gonna hit on the magic formula for a title.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login