Texas Tech is a great example of a program with a 'strategy'.....

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Of course I was made fun of for suggesting that college sports programs do this, but TT has demonstrated that it can work. This coach of theirs was highly regarded in the high school ranks, so they play off of that. They also do the anti-Texas and Texas A&M money thing, and this resonates with many kids. Very blue collar way of doing things. I bet they hardly spend anything on NIL.

We could learn a lot from how they are doing things these days.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I really liked what Dykes said about his OC Riley today on radio. He talked about how when Rhett left he went and wanted to get Riley because of his experience with app st and their run game and obviously his experience with his brother. But what he said was that he wanted to blend in running game with their air raid concepts to make them more competitive.

Arnett could learn from that. I think you saw a lot of that from the tech last night to in what they were running now at tech. Air raid concepts but obviously a qb that can run and a much more blended run game. Tough defense. Makes you more tough to beat. I think Arnett will have that toughness first aspect to his teams. And I can seen him wanting to be more balanced offensively to keep his defense off the field.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
scared goat GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So yeah, you got me. My statement about NIL was a little off. Congratulations I guess.

Point still valid. They have a 'plan' for their money. They also aren't out paying big to any one player. They are taking lesser players and doing the 'equality' thing.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Of course I was made fun of for suggesting that college sports programs do this, but TT has demonstrated that it can work. This coach of theirs was highly regarded in the high school ranks, so they play off of that. They also do the anti-Texas and Texas A&M money thing, and this resonates with many kids. Very blue collar way of doing things. I bet they hardly spend anything on NIL.

1 8-win season since 2013 even with Mahomes. I hope we don’t do anything like them

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Geez. I'm talking about Mcguire, dude. He was hired last year.
Yeah but they didn’t just start the blue collar anti Horns and aggies thing. They’ve always done it and only worked with Leach as head coach. They are the 5th most relevant program in their own state. That’s not something we need to be

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
Yeah but they didn’t just start the blue collar anti Horns and aggies thing. They’ve always done it and only worked with Leach as head coach. They are the 5th most relevant program in their own state. That’s not something we need to be
the thought of &TATE being the FIFTH most revlant program in missippi frightens and confuses me

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

WestDawg

Aug 24, 2012
I coached HS not far from TTech for better part of a decade. I will tell you straight up - some of the best and most innovative HS coaches in the country are in west TX, southwest OK, and NM. They have to do so much more with such a smaller size athlete for the most part, and especially once they get into state playoff runs. They end up going against schools with 2-3x the athletes. Yeah, they oil money helps a ton, but not every town in west TX has a spigot coming out of the ground with bubbling crude oil money. Honestly, it wouldn’t be a bad thing to find some GAs from that area of the country.
The thing I did find was that those kids were a lot like small town MS kids….the type of hard nosed kids that are just wired different - won’t back down, won’t give in, won’t stop working hard - mentally and physically tough.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I coached HS not far from TTech for better part of a decade. I will tell you straight up - some of the best and most innovative HS coaches in the country are in west TX, southwest OK, and NM. They have to do so much more with such a smaller size athlete for the most part, and especially once they get into state playoff runs. They end up going against schools with 2-3x the athletes. Yeah, they oil money helps a ton, but not every town in west TX has a spigot coming out of the ground with bubbling crude oil money. Honestly, it wouldn’t be a bad thing to find some GAs from that area of the country.
The thing I did find was that those kids were a lot like small town MS kids….the type of hard nosed kids that are just wired different - won’t back down, won’t give in, won’t stop working hard - mentally and physically tough.
Yes, and appears McGuire wants TT to be a mirror image of that. And I like it. It’s a good route and much better than just trying to hire the next big name

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Guess they have to have something to attract talent cause once you get outside the Lubbock city limits there is......nothing as far as the eye can see. I mean NOTHING.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
So yeah, you got me. My statement about NIL was a little off. Congratulations I guess.

Point still valid. They have a 'plan' for their money. They also aren't out paying big to any one player. They are taking lesser players and doing the 'equality' thing.

What makes you think they aren’t paying out big to any one player? It is documented that outside the base pay TT athletes get, they are free to negotiate their own deals beyond that. In other words, TT seems to be open to creative boosters establishing NIL opportunities. Just like everyone else.

was21

May 29, 2007

I'll pass. That program doesn't strike me as one to emulate.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Can you just admit you were wrong?

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Only thing that pisses me off is the lack of critical/creative thinking skills possessed by my fellow MSU brethren
Lack of critical thinking?

you said “I bet they hardly spend anything on NIL.”

Well one booster is spending $2.5 million. So you are wrong.

Can your critical thinking understand thats a very significant amount?

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Only thing that pisses me off is the lack of critical/creative thinking skills possessed by my fellow MSU brethren
Most people are able to distinguish between trolling and critical/creative thinking.

Threads like these remind me of the ones Colonel Kang starts on GP’s. Don’t be that guy.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

It's fascinating how different high school football can be in Texas. I got a history lesson from my wife the other night on West(ish) Texas high school football.

She grew up in a small town between Ft Worth and Abilene and went to high school in in the late 90's/early 00's. She now personally knows 2 current OC's in the SEC, a DC for a team in this year's CFP semi finals, the offensive line coach at a big ACC school, and 2 former D1 QB's that were all in her podunk little Texas high school together in 1999 as coaches and players.

They can probably all attribute their current fortunes to one man who's undeniable greatness lifted them all up, even though he's no longer on the sidelines himself...

College Football GIF by SEC Network

Reactions: paindonthurt

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It's fascinating how different high school football can be in Texas. I got a history lesson from my wife the other night on West(ish) Texas high school football.

She grew up in a small town between Ft Worth and Abilene and went to high school in in the late 90's/early 00's. She now personally knows 2 current OC's in the SEC, a DC for a team in this year's CFP semi finals, the offensive line coach at a big ACC school, and 2 former D1 QB's that were all in her podunk little Texas high school together in 1999 as coaches and players.

They can probably all attribute their current fortunes to one man who's undeniable greatness lifted them all up, even though he's no longer on the sidelines himself...

College Football GIF by SEC Network
Bump for this post

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login