Thank you Georgia Tech for investing in American tennis players...

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
8 out of 10 players on GT's men's tennis team are from the US unlike the vast many D1 university teams, some close to home. Investments and development like this produce the Chris Eubanks of the tennis world (if you don't know, google him), but they are too far and too few in between. the US hasn't had a preponderance of dominant male players since the early to mid 2000s when agassi, sampras, courier, chang were dominating the pro tour, but the D1 university divestment in American players began back in the 80s.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
8 out of 10 players on GT's men's tennis team are from the US unlike the vast many D1 university teams, some close to home. Investments and development like this produce the Chris Eubanks of the tennis world (if you don't know, google him), but they are too far and too few in between. the US hasn't had a preponderance of dominant male players since the early to mid 2000s when agassi, sampras, courier, chang were dominating the pro tour, but the D1 university divestment in American players began back in the 80s.
Isn’t that more due to prior amateurism rules not allowing us players to train like foreign ones and still maintain amateur eligibility?

patdog

May 28, 2007
Watched parts of a few of his matches at Wimbledon. Very fun player to watch and cheer for.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I don't think I've watched a single volley of a tennis match in person or TV since Agassi, Becker days. I grew up watching it a lot and actually played through my high school days but today couldn't name any players I don't think.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I don't think I've watched a single volley of a tennis match in person or TV since Agassi, Becker days. I grew up watching it a lot and actually played through my high school days but today couldn't name any players I don't think.
Did you know that before Agassi started dating celebrities, he dated a chick from West Point?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I don't watch or play tennis at all but Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have been pretty common names last 15 or whatever years.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

patdog

May 28, 2007
Did you know that before Agassi started dating celebrities, he dated a chick from West Point?
I've always wondered if she was really his full-time girlfriend or just the one he saw when he played in the Memphis and he had one in dozens of cities around the world.

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
In 1965, there were 2 Americans on the State men’s tennis team. Both from Laurel, which had a great youth program.

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
Mark Thompson from Jackson and Randy Purdham from Laurel were on the team in the late seventies.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Can we get some international studs on the baseball team?
I've long contended we look at the Caribbean and Japan high schoolers if possible. I know it's expensive for travel, but both those areas produce some amazing young talent.

Reactions: patdog

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Yep, and he used to attend a few games at the Hump. I saw him there on at least one occasion. Don't know who the chick was but she was super hot. Course, he dated Brooke Shields too but ended up marrying a butter face like Steffi Graff. Killer body but damn she's ugly. A real hatchet face.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Many years ago (late 90s?) I asked Simpleton why we had so many foreign tennis players on scholly. It's a non-revenue sport with no recognition, win a bunch of nattys and no one cares, therefore since we were expending funds on it why not just sign native-born, and hopefully some MS recruits? He didn't appreciate the question.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login