Thankgsiving and the Egg Bowl - let's talk about it again...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Here's my thought on why we shouldn't play on Thanksgiving.

The people that are going to go on Thanksgiving are still going to go Friday or Saturday.
The people that won't go on Thanksgiving b/c it's Thanksgiving are more than likely able to go Friday or Saturday.

Take it off of Thanksgiving!

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The only real attraction to me was getting the national sports primetime tv viewership to ourselves, back when the Lions played at noon and Cowboys at 3 (or vice versa). Now that a Thursday Egg Bowl butts heads with what is usually a compelling NFL game (Saints/Bills this year), it's meaningless versus playing a regular Saturday game.

klong-dog

Aug 22, 2012
Pro's = in prime time, lots of exposure.

Cons = nerves = not as much of an appetite. I guess that could fall into the pro's.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I enjoy watching it after Thanksgiving dinner ....but

It wouldn't hurt my feelin at all to move it to Saturday. I'm sure the players aren't crazy about having a short week. But at least this year we have a cupcake the weekend before.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I would prefer it comes off Thanksgiving. Most people are watching the NFL anyways. It makes it really difficult on our fans.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It needs to be back on Saturdays to make it logistically easier for most people to attend.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It made sense in the 90s when it was a big deal for MSU or UM to be on national TV and it was the only game on. Now, every game is on national TV and the casual fan in 49 states is going to be watching the NFL game anyway. I understand the SEC needs someone to play that night, but we should both insist it gets rotated around and only play the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving once every 7 years.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I go regardless but having it on Friday or Saturday keeps me on the good side with my wife.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Thank you.

Id love to go to the game this year, but I am not this year. This year the Family wants Thanksgiving dinner at home. I have a 2.5 hour drive. I am not rushing off from relatives that I haven't seen in a year.

If the game was on Saturday this year, me and 4-5 more would be there.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

The people that are going to go on Thanksgiving are still going to go Friday or Saturday.
The people that won't go on Thanksgiving b/c it's Thanksgiving are more than likely able to go Friday or Saturday.

This is a slam dunk for me. If its on Thanksgiving I have to make a choice. Either go to the game or spend time with my family. If its on Saturday I can do both. My family is scattered about all out of state so for the foreseeable future, as long as the game is on Thanksgiving I won't be going to the eggbowl. There has to be many people like me.

It pretty clear to me. Saturday is a better day for the most fans and Thursday you have the better TV exposure. Which is more important? I kinda resent being asked to sacrifice time with my family for a little TV exposure.

Choctaw Dawg

May 21, 2017
Lets pray that when Texas comes into the league that they will have the Texas-aTm game in the Thanksgiving slot like they used to.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
I enjoy the game on Thanksgiving. It is like I combine all my hobbies into one day. Hunt in the am, eat, and then go watch the Dawgs at night. Doesn't get much better.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Not having to go deal w/ relatives is the reason I want it on Thanksgiving, they know ahead of time if the Egg Bowl is on Thanksgiving that they won't have to deal w/ me and vice versa. If game was on Saturday I would have to put on my "damn glad to see you" fake face on Thanksgiving day

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I'm old and have familial obligations. I also really like food. Take it off Thursday.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Move to Friday at the 2:30 time slot or Saturday.
No more Thanksgiving night.
The uniqueness of that time slot has been used up.

Hump4Hoops

May 1, 2010
As someone who lives out of state, I love it.

Thanksgiving is awesome Best food, and I get to watch both my Cowboys and Bulldogs.

Added bonus, if family is over, we have something to watch so we don't have to make smalltalk.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I personally like it on Thanksgiving, but with the Thursday night time slot no longer being more or less exclusively for the Thursday night college football game, it's kind of hard to justify at this point. We don't get particularly good TV exposure and it conflicts with a lot of people's family time, so the only way you can argue for it to stay on thanksgiving is if you're the type of *** hole that only cares about what's best for yourself and just say 17 everybody else.

All that to say, keep it on Thanksgiving and 17 all of y'all.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't mind it on Thanksgiving, although the point about it competing with the NFL (and not being the only game on that night) is a very good one.

Our Thanksgiving is usually about 1, then people just sit around the rest of the day. This gives me a (fun) reason to get up do something, in this case drive to Starkville. Won't be much tailgating, but oh well.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
The Saints have played on Thanksgiving night in 2018, 2019, and now again in 2021. There is a sizable chunk of people IN THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI who will choose to watch the Saints rather than the Egg Bowl.

Having said that… I still freaking love thanksgiving Egg Bowls. But admittedly I’m a diehard that posts on the internet, most people are not that.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Not having to go deal w/ relatives is the reason I want it on Thanksgiving, they know ahead of time if the Egg Bowl is on Thanksgiving that they won't have to deal w/ me and vice versa. If game was on Saturday I would have to put on my "damn glad to see you" fake face on Thanksgiving day

This was my situation when I lived in Mississippi. Plus it gave me excuse to go deer hunting that morning like I used to when I was a kid If I did have one hanging up by 10 o'clock I was just shower up and head towards Starkville to The Game.

nsvltndog

Mar 30, 2010
I love it on Thanksgiving night. We live ~900 miles away and are spending the entire week in Starkville. There is no scenario where I will ever attend a game again in Oxford so this works well for us every other year.

StateDoggy

Dec 21, 2013

I like to be with family, and I mean all of them, on Thanksgiving. If the game is on the road, I’m fine with it. If it’s in Starkville I’m going which means leaving right after lunch. Don’t like it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Young me - liked it; good to get away from extended family gatherings that took too long.

Older me - I'm fine watching on TV, but I'm not cutting short family time to travel to it.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
The only real attraction to me was getting the national sports primetime tv viewership to ourselves, back when the Lions played at noon and Cowboys at 3 (or vice versa). Now that a Thursday Egg Bowl butts heads with what is usually a compelling NFL game (Saints/Bills this year), it's meaningless versus playing a regular Saturday game.

^^^THIS^^^

It has been proven that even a matchup between the two lowest drawing NFL teams will smoke any regular season college game. Back when this started, we needed the TV exposure and even today more exposure wouldn't hurt but you aren't getting it when the NFL adds a game to Thanksgiving night. There will be 10's of people watching our game and they will all be in Mississippi. This game needs to go back to Saturday starting next year and stay there.

randystewart

Jan 14, 2009
Having lived all over, I can honestly tell you that there are many people that only know about either State or Ole Miss because of the Thanksgiving Egg Bowl. It gives us a level of exposure that would not happen on a Saturday buried in the other slate of rivalry games. Hell, most years we'd probably end up as the 11 am ESPN game and ruin the atmosphere all together.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
Since 1998 - State has played in Starkville 7 times. Oxford - 4 times.

This is sort of my issue with it. Since 2013 when they went back to regularly scheduling it on Thanksgiving, its been played in Starkville 4 times - 2013, 2017, 2019 and now this year. Its been played in Oxford once on Thursday in 2018.

I went in 2019 and the attendance was not good. The lines for concessions and especially the gates were long. They didnt have enough staff to run either of them because its Thanksgiving and people are home with their families. It just seems like the university is sacrificing the game experience to get some coveted viewership on Thanksgiving and the Bulldogs seem to be getting the bad end of the deal. But it works out that its time to play it on a Saturday when it returns to Oxford.

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
What do you expect from a John Cohen led athletic administration?

Everything that you said is true.

1. We used to not be guaranteed TV for this game, so Thanksgiving made sense.
2. It is a family planning nightmare especially if you have two sets of family members to see on Thanksgiving.
3. There were only 2 NFL games on Thanksgiving Day, and none at night. Now you have an NFL night game which happens to be the Saints this year. '
4. Cohen is going to talk about exposure, which is BS! That is a Larry Templeton line. LT had a point back in the late 90's. Little Larry does not have a brain or the ability to think on his own, therefore he is saying what LT did.

I Cohen had a brain, and he does not, he would lobby for this game to be on Friday afternoon on CBS.

The happiest of all Thanksgivings to me would be the resignation of Cohen! MORON!

Last edited:

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Everything that you said is true.

1. We used to not be guaranteed TV for this game, so Thanksgiving made sense.
2. It is a family planning nightmare especially if you have two sets of family members to see on Thanksgiving.
3. There were only 2 NFL games on Thanksgiving Day, and none at night. Now you have an NFL night game which happens to be the Saints this year. '
4. Cohen is going to talk about exposure, which is BS! That is a Larry Templeton line. LT had a point back in the late 90's. Little Larry does not have a brain or the ability to think on his own, therefore he is saying what LT did.

I Cohen had a brain, and he does not, he would lobby for this game to be on Friday afternoon on CBS.

The happiest of all Thanksgivings to me would be the resignation of Cohen! MORON!

Friday would have tv competition and tons of empty seats. That's a pointless move. Put it in Saturday and leave it the 17 alone.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login