Thanks, Polk

Status
Not open for further replies.

noxdog

May 28, 2007
aGAIN he leaves a pitcher in too long. This is a must win series and we are reverting back to our form 2 years ago. This post is not a "the sky is falling" post. There has not been a lot of baseball talk with the basketball team doing so well, and rightly so, but when you have the # 12 team on the ropes don't leave a pitcher out to dry.

noxdog

May 28, 2007
aGAIN he leaves a pitcher in too long. This is a must win series and we are reverting back to our form 2 years ago. This post is not a "the sky is falling" post. There has not been a lot of baseball talk with the basketball team doing so well, and rightly so, but when you have the # 12 team on the ropes don't leave a pitcher out to dry.

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
was struggling in the 7th. Preserve the lead dumbass. Now we have the honor of getting swept.

noxdog

May 28, 2007
Pop up By Powers. I don't think we get swept, but, the managing of Pigott was not good. He should have been pulled earlier. Frankly, the pitching has been a big disappointment. McKnickle and Polk share in the blame for that.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
There is no excuse for our pitching to not make progress. He can take all of his That's baseball BS and shove it up his ***.</p>

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
He's been doing that LONG before Omaha. I've said it many times, Polk is a great baseball teacher, but is a horrible manager. When we were winning it was mainly because we had more talent than the other teams and we could usually overcome his crappy in game managing, but now that the playing field has leveled off.....

M

MsuD00D

Todd4State said:
There is no excuse for our pitching to not make progress. He can take all of his That's baseball BS and shove it up his ***.</p>

[cowbaa]It should not matter about the pitching. Aren't we supposed to be playing gorilla ball this year? I thought we were well on our way to a .350 team BA.[/cowbaa]</p>

patdog

May 28, 2007
Well, that's Polk baseball. You have one of the top closers in the country and you leave a pitcher who historically tires after 5-6 innings out there to give up 4 hits and a walk in the 7th. Just brilliant! There's a good chance we won't get to another meaningful situation we could put Weatherford in this series. Damn! If you won't start Weatherford, at least use him as a <17> closer! Don't just waste his season sitting in the bullpen for 56 games.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
I know. I was just using the lastest Omaha reference since it was Pigott that he left in too long in that game, as well. When he's not playing the %'s in crucial times of ballgames, he's leaving 'em in one third of an inning too long. It also pisses me off when he'd got a guy out on the mound getting shelled and doesn't have a soul getting warmed up in the pen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Todd4State said:
Polk is a great baseball teacher, but is a horrible manager.

Let me correct that for you Todd. Polk is a GOOD baseball teacher, but is a horrible manager. He's also turned out to be a very mediocre recruiter once other schools decided to get serious about baseball.</p>

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
patdog said:
He's also turned out to be a very mediocre recruiter once other schools decided to get serious about baseball.

</p>I think his arrogance got the best of him as far as recruiting. I have heard him say on more than one occassion that he thought people would come to MSU just to play baseball for him, and then you have the whole recruiting only out of the baseball camp fiasco, which has set us back who knows how many years.

Buffard Tannen

Mar 8, 2008
If you're gonna talk about Polk you might as well talk about the group of no talent *** clowns he coaches, just a thought......

patdog

May 28, 2007
Buffard Tannen said:
If you're gonna talk about Polk you might as well talk about the group of no talent *** clowns he coaches, just a thought......

And let me fix that for you:
</p>
If you're gonna talk about Polk you might as well talk about the group of no talent *** clowns he RECRUITED, just a thought......

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Do you not know how to spell "Buford"?

</p>

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006
Not all the same *** clowns came back from last year, but even if they had the reality is that last year's team just got hot at the right moment. They were never very special talent-wise, and it showed when they got to Omaha.

This year's collapse, if the trend continues, was very predictable. Our next best shot at Omaha will likely not be for another 4 years, that is unless Polk resigns and we replace him with just about anyone but Raffo.

Mind you, I'm not saying Polk has forgotten how to coach., The man just makes too many excuses, is too caught up in NCAA matters, and can't recruit worth a crap anymore. Bianco owns him in recruiting and doesn't make excuses for things, and that's why his Ole Miss program will continue to be the best and most consistent in this state for years to come.

With that said, MSU will probably win 2 or even sweep Ole Miss this weekend, giving Polk lovers the opportunity to bash my brains in and call for another lifetime contract extension. Of course, the average MSU fan has never been accused of being able to see the forest for the trees.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
coupled with the trip to Omaha last year that Ole Miss has passed us by? You'd be right saying that this average fan couldn't see it. You know good and well that if we get swept or lose 2 out of 3 that the battle cry on here will be that this weekend is further proof that they have passed us by. I just don't get how it seems to flow only one way. They win = they've passed us by. We win + have better recent accomplishments = they've still passed us by. Before I'm accused of being the anti-christ/Polk lover on here, here's my stance on Polk.

Am I ready for Polk to be canned or retire? I'm getting there but I'm not calling for his head yet. Last year earned him this year to me. I stated on the board last year that for me to stay on board with him that we had to host a Super. Even though we backed into it, we did host one. Finally winning one and going back to Omaha are what really bought the extra year in my eyes. This year, my expectations are one notch lower. For me to stay on board and not be going off on Polk like Coach34 on Stans, he'll have to host a regional. Losing Moreland, Easley and Rea and having Turner banged up this early in the season means replacing the 4 players that actually took you to Omaha last year. That's why I'll settle for just hosting a regional this year.

Who do I want after Polk? Right now I want Showalter. Hands down. But, if Polk manages to hang on a couple more years, I'll lean toward Cohen after he gets a couple more years under his belt at UK and proves that last year was just a hiccup after his kick-*** 2006 season and the way 2008 has started for him.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
this weekend is irrelevant. Their program is in much better shape and has achieved much more over the last 5 years than ours has.

Hiring Buck Showalter just scares the hell out of me.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Let's see, MJoelner. Which baseball team in our state is a serious contender for Omaha every year now? Which one hosts regionals every year and goes to a super regional every year? Which one doesn't rebuild, it reloads? Which one is the only SEC baseball team with a winning SEC record for each of the last 5 years? Which one has dominated the head to head series for the past several years? Which one is going to contend for the CWS and the SEC championship again this year? Which one is once again ranked in the top 10 (and which one is off to its worst start in 25 years)?

I'm thrilled that we pulled the rabbit out of the hat and made the trip to Omaha last year. But don't let that blind you to the overall state of our baseball program. Or to the overall state of Mississippi's baseball program.

Edited to add: "That's why I'll settle for just hosting a regional this year." WTF are you talking about??? We'll be damn lucky to GET to a regional this year. There's no way in hell we'll host one, which will be our 5th straight year to not host a regional in case anyone is counting.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
....Not only can he not spell "Buford", he also can't get Buford's catch phrases right? Hey "Buffard", you're a whole manure truck full of fail, aren't ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login