The 25 Biggest Brands in College football according to high school recruits

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Found it interesting that HS kids consider us one of the bigger brands in football while most national media people dismiss us to future relegation

https://247sports.com/longformarticle/college-footballs-25-biggest-brands-ranked-214900353/#2223906

I’d rank college football recruits’ understanding of biggest college football brands somewhere between the worst GenesPage and Spirit posters imaginable, and my 2nd grader.

Seriously….Ole Miss a bigger brand than Michigan and USC? UNC a bigger brand than FSU? This list is a damn joke.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I’d rank college football recruits’ understanding of biggest college football brands somewhere between the worst GenesPage and Spirit posters imaginable, and my 2nd grader.

Seriously….Ole Miss a bigger brand than Michigan and USC? UNC a bigger brand than FSU? This list is a damn joke.
Branding isn't always about winning. Ask the Cowboys.

• Haha
Reactions: HRMSU

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
Texas A&M being a bigger brand than Texas is interesting also but not shocking considering how much A&M has been in the news with NIL the past couple of years. But that's gotta be eating Texas up

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Branding isn't always about winning. Ask the Cowboys.

Totally agree. But branding is about eyeballs watching the product, history, and also winning. Ole Miss has probably won more than USC over the past half decade. But they aren’t worth 25% of what USC is as far as a college football brand. Same with Michigan.

This list is just a regurgitated list of the composite final recruiting rankings from the past 4-5 years. A list of the “best programs” in the eyes of literal children who really haven’t paid attention to anything in the sport before they were in 7th / 8th grade, and who have no frame of reference regarding fanbase size, population density demographics, etc. It’s a completely meaningless rating that deserves no discussion.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004

Maybe, but it's our damn joke. True or not it is a positive for our program, something we don't get a shat load of.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe, but it's our damn joke. True or not it is a positive for our program, something we don't get a shat load of.

It’s no more a positive than the recruiting rankings or final CFP rankings of the past half decade, which all say the same thing. And at face value, when taking into account that our biggest competitor for both talent and exposure is ranked much higher than we are….and much higher than reality says they should be, then it actually would be a pretty big negative for our program IF it was something that was any more than meaningless clickbait.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Ole Miss isn't a highly recognized brand for reasons they think they are.
If you put your maroon glasses aside, In the last 5-10 years, Ole Miss and Oxford have done a better job of marketing than MSU-Starkville have(Thanks Cohen-Spruill). Selmon has stepped up marketing efforts, but he is digging out of a deep hole.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If you put your maroon glasses aside, In the last 5-10 years, Ole Miss and Oxford have done a better job of marketing than MSU-Starkville have(Thanks Cohen-Spruill). Selmon has stepped up marketing efforts, but he is digging out of a deep hole.
It's got nothing to do with maroon glasses. Virtually everything that's happened to them on a national level has been not-so-good outside of the five minutes of attention they got in 2014, and their baseball natty last year. Paying some obscure magazine to rank Oxford highly on their "quaint towns" list shallow and doesn't move the needle.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
If you put your maroon glasses aside, In the last 5-10 years, Ole Miss and Oxford have done a better job of marketing than MSU-Starkville have(Thanks Cohen-Spruill).
The reputation of MSU-Starkville stems from people assuming and our own graduates/fans being overly pessimistic about most things.

Im afraid pessimism is ingrained in our culture and optimism and hype is ingrained in theirs.

Last edited:

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Sooooo.......does this mean that the banner MState was a, gulp, good idea?

#marketingbrandingnshit
Winning is a good idea. Dak and Dan... as mentioned. But!!! ..... We won and won big in many sports wearing the "banner M". Which is really really odd that so many dislike it. Just weird AF.

Last time we wore the interlocking MSU on the helmet; we lost 52-6 in Fayetteville. ..and had won 2 games that year, 8 games in 3 years. Anyways... I'm of topic.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login