The 5-7 bowl game scenario 11/21

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Here we are, just where we thought we might be a month ago.

Week 1 (with more background): https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/bowl-chances-at-5-7.1123980/
Week 2: https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/the-5-7-scenario-10-23.1134896/
Week 3: https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/the-5-7-bowl-game-scenario-10-30.1146142/#post-21162683
Week 4: https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/the-5-7-bowl-game-scenario-11-7.1160859/#post-21476009
Week 5: https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/the-5-7-bowl-game-scenario-11-14.1176515/

Several changes to the APR table this week. Northwestern, Wisconsin and Boise State all earned their sixth win and bowl eligibility, so they are off the table below. Cincinnati lost again to fall to 3-8 and are thus eliminated from consideration.

Apr RankSchoolWLRemaining ScheduleProjected winsProj Total
9Minnesota56Wisconsin16
10Wake Forest47Syracuse04
17Rice56FAU16
21Mississippi State56Ole Miss05

Obviously the best path is to win Thursday and get that 6th win. As for our APR rank, we will be no worse than 4th but could end up first if we are indeed 5-7. Should Minnesota and Rice win, they come off the list, albeit while taking a bowl slot in the process. Wake is interesting. Syracuse is 5-6 and thus trying to get bowl eligible. Wake is 4-7 and trying to be the #1 or #2 APR team. Either way, the winner of that game is a higher priority than we will be assuming we lose. If 'Cuse wins they are 6-6 and Wake falls to 4-8. If Wake wins, they are 5-7 and can get in on APR while Syracuse is 5-7 and behind us in APR.

More attention this weekend will be on the 5 win teams. First, an update on the bowl games. Reminder, 41 bowl games, 82 slots.

11/21: 69 teams are now bowl eligible. 39 teams are at four or fewer wins. The only four win team we have to worry about is Wake Forest as noted above. There are 25 teams with five wins. Up to 13 of them will be playing in bowl games this season no matter if they are 6-6 or 5-7 (could be 12, depending on how many win and what Wake does against Syracuse).
11/14: 60 teams bowl eligible, 22 with five wins, 19 with 4 wins. Three are 22 teams with three wins, but they are all 3-7 and other than Cincinnati, cannot be bowl eligible nor ranked above us in the APR. So 21 of those are out of the running. There are 10 teams with 1 or 2 wins. They are also done. That leaves a pool of 102 teams to fill 82 slots.
11/7: 53 teams bowl eligible, 17 with five wins, 24 with four wins, 23 with three wins, 16 with 2 or 1 (Sam Houston won!)
10/30: 43 teams bowl eligible. 19 with five wins. 27 with four wins. 17 with three wins. 27 with 2, 1, or 0 (poor Sam Houston State).
10/23: 32 teams are already bowl eligible, 19 more have five wins, 29 have four wins. 24 more teams sit at 3 wins

So with 13 spots left to fill, here is the schedule of the 25 teams with 5-6 records. It's sorted from the largest favorite to the biggest underdog. Please note that Navy is 5-5 and has a game this weekend before the Army-Navy game on Dec. 9. Army is 5-6, so at least one of those teams is assured of being 6-6. If Navy beats SMU and Army then beats Navy, they could both be eligible.

The 5-7 TeamLineOpponent
Northern Illinois-19at Kent State
Central Florida(UCF)-13.5Houston
Louisiana-13ULM
Utah State-8at New Mexico
Colorado State-6at Hawaii
South Florida-6Charlotte
Illinois-5.5Northwestern
Rice-5FAU
Old Dominion-3Georgia State
Syracuse-3Wake Forest
Virginia Tech-3at Virginia
Nebraska-2.5#20 Iowa
Marshall-1.5Arkansas State
Minnesota+2Wisconsin
Eastern Michigan+5.5at Buffalo (today)
Florida+6.5#5 Florida State
South Carolina+7Clemson
California+9at UCLA
Central Michigan+10#23 Toledo
TCU+10at #13 Oklahoma
Mississippi State+10.5#12 Ole Miss
Washington State+16.5at #4 Washington
BYU+17at # 21 OK State
Navy+20at SMU this week, Army (Dec 9)
Army West Pointno line yetNavy (Dec 9)

So there's your weekend cheat sheet. We need enough of those teams on the left side to lose so that there are fewer 6-6 teams taking bowl spots.

First of these opportunities is tonight, when 5-6 Eastern Michigan travels to 3-8 Buffalo for some Tuesday MACTION. Even at 3-8, Buffalo is a 5.5 point favorite, so GO BULLS.

Teams playing Friday: TCU, Nebraska, Central Michigan and Utah State

I'll try to update at some point on Friday or Saturday.

Oct 3, 2008
One thing to consider (sorry if I missed it somewhere above) is that James Madison and Jacksonville St will get bowl bids *if* there are not enough 6 win teams, and will be selected ahead of any 5 win teams. According to Brett McMurphy:

“These projections do not include James Madison and Jacksonville State. JMU and JSU are in their second year transitioning from the FCS to FBS and are not eligible unless there are not enough bowl-eligible teams to fill all 82 spots.

The Dukes and Gamecocks would fill any openings after all six-win teams and before any 5-7 teams. If there are still openings after JMU and JSU, the remaining bowl spots would be filled by teams with 5-7 records, based on the teams with the highest APR rankings for the 2021-22 school year, the latest data available.”

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
So if you assume Navy loses to SMU, you can drop Army/Navy, Wake/Syracuse, Minnesota, and Rice because those four are guaranteed ahead of us. That means 9 slots left. 11 teams without guaranteed spots are favored. Will be tough but not
Impossible

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Are you accounting for two of Army's five wins being against FCS (Delaware State and Holy Cross)? They have to beat Navy to enter the APR discussion with a 5th counted win.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Are you accounting for two of Army's five wins being against FCS (Delaware State and Holy Cross)? They have to beat Navy to enter the APR discussion with a 5th counted win.
I am not because as Dana Carvey doing Ed McMahon would say...Iiiiiii did not know that. But Army is tied for 36th on the APR list, so at 5-7 they would be behind us in priority.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
That South Carolina loss was so costly. Then again, Arnett still would probably be our coach if we win, so...

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I am not because as Dana Carvey doing Ed McMahon would say...Iiiiiii did not know that. But Army is tied for 36th on the APR list, so at 5-7 they would be behind us in priority.
Army of all teams sucking that bad in APR is kind of surprising.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I am now seeing a few sources that says Army is out no matter what.

USA Today has information posted that says Navy has to win this Saturday against SMU to be bowl eligible because the bowl bids are announced on Dec 2 and the Army-Navy game is not until the 9th. I don't see others reporting that though...so I'm not sure about Navy. It seems likely that as a 20 point underdog they will lose Saturday and enter the Army-Navy game at 5-6. Navy is 65th in the APR so no chance for them at 5-7.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009

USA Today has information posted that says Navy has to win this Saturday against SMU to be bowl eligible because the bowl bids are announced on Dec 2 and the Army-Navy game is not until the 9th. I don't see others reporting that though...so I'm not sure about Navy. It seems likely that as a 20 point underdog they will lose Saturday and enter the Army-Navy game at 5-6. Navy is 65th in the APR so no chance for them at 5-7.
Army's in the we-played-2-FCS-teams category, and they were denied a waiver on that last year. I haven't been able to find confirmation on the Navy bowl situation, but there are some older articles that allude to the same thing USA Today is saying...the Army-Navy game comes after bowl bids are sent out.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
One thing to consider (sorry if I missed it somewhere above) is that James Madison and Jacksonville St will get bowl bids *if* there are not enough 6 win teams, and will be selected ahead of any 5 win teams. According to Brett McMurphy:

“These projections do not include James Madison and Jacksonville State. JMU and JSU are in their second year transitioning from the FCS to FBS and are not eligible unless there are not enough bowl-eligible teams to fill all 82 spots.

The Dukes and Gamecocks would fill any openings after all six-win teams and before any 5-7 teams. If there are still openings after JMU and JSU, the remaining bowl spots would be filled by teams with 5-7 records, based on the teams with the highest APR rankings for the 2021-22 school year, the latest data available.”
One thing. Army has two wins against FCs teams so they are out.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
First of all the Rice game doesn't matter. They are in above us win or lose. Army and Navy being up in the air could affect us. We definitely need Navy to lose to SMU. We also need Army to not get a waiver and then beat Navy. I don't know if the bowls wait on Navy or not. Anyway, not counting those two we need no more than 8 of these teams to win.
Team we need to lose is listed first:
Va Tech at Virginia
Nebraska vs Iowa
Illinois vs Northwestern
South Carolina vs Clemson
Florida vs FSU
BYU at Oklahoma St
TCU at Oklahoma
UCF vs Houston
Washington St at Washington
Cal at UCLA
USF vs Charlotte
Marshall vs Ark St
ODU vs Ga St
ULL vs ULM
CMU vs Toledo
EMU at Buffalo
NIU vs Kent
Colorado St at Hawaii
Utah St at New Mexico
Also, go ahead and pull for Navy to lose at SMU. The academies situation could open up another slot.

Reactions: OldFatDog62

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012

If this is indeed the case, I think we could very well get in at 5-7.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
I wouldn't quantify it as "very likely". It's gotta be close to 50/50. I have us as the last team in, but that's because I expect Iowa to beat Nebraska.
There's a couple of other head scratchers in the favorites for me (check out how Arkansas State has been playing lately vs Marshall's recent games). However, all it takes to knock us out is for a couple teams like Cal or BYU to get motivated about bowling, and *poof*, a 5-7 State would be team #83.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
I wouldn't quantify it as "very likely". It's gotta be close to 50/50. I have us as the last team in, but that's because I expect Iowa to beat Nebraska.
There's a couple of other head scratchers in the favorites for me (check out how Arkansas State has been playing lately vs Marshall's recent games). However, all it takes to knock us out is for a couple teams like Cal or BYU to get motivated about bowling, and *poof*, a 5-7 State would be team #83.
No doubt I'd call it abou even 50/50. We need no upsets from Florida, SC, BYU, TCU, Cal, or Wazzu. It would be nice if one of Illinois or Nebraska lost. You can also never tell about MACtion or the Fun Belt. It needs to start tonight with EMU losing at Buffalo. We are most likely the first team out or last team in.

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
At 5-7 would we get a bowl with an SEC tie-in or just be selected to play in a game that needed to be filled?

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Birmingham sounds right. The other bowl that is in that level is Gasparilla in Tampa and I can't see them sending us there twice in a year because fans probably wouldn't travel that distance again especially for a lower tier bowl.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login