The absolutely boneheaded coaching decisions in the Udub/Oregon Game

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Also going for the TD before the half instead of taking the field goal. Didn’t convert and in the end they lost by 3. Halftime Holly Rowe asked him why he went for it. “We like to play aggressive and play to win the game.” Clearly not because you didn’t take the points.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Also going for the TD before the half instead of taking the field goal. Didn’t convert and in the end they lost by 3. Halftime Holly Rowe asked him why he went for it. “We like to play aggressive and play to win the game.” Clearly not because you didn’t take the points.
That’s the one I felt was the most egregious. Washington gave them a free three points before half by throwing the interception with less than a minute left. Oregon was getting the ball to start the second half. Kick the field goal to cut it to one point and then get the ball to start the second half. You’ve got all the momentum in the world at that point. I didn’t mind going for it with two minutes left because they weren’t going to stop Washington anyway. If they convert that fourth down, the game is over. And it was only fourth and three, not fourth and 10.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Make me feel very slightly better about Zack Morris and Officer Barbrady. Very, very, very slightly better.

As Oregon was lining up for the 4th and 3 late in the game, I told Mrs. Greenbean, "There is no way they are going for this, they will try to draw them offsides."
Without a doubt, the head coach cost the ducks that game.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I didn’t mind going for it with two minutes left because they weren’t going to stop Washington anyway. If they convert that fourth down, the game is over. And it was only fourth and three, not fourth and 10.
This was just one of many boneheaded moves by both sides. Had it been 4th and 1, I could see, but they we stuffed on a similar yardage play earlier in the game. I think my dead grandmother saw that play coming. Blow Nix can move a little, how about a play-action rollout giving him the option to pass or run?

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
This was just one of many boneheaded moves by both sides. Had it been 4th and 1, I could see, but they we stuffed on a similar yardage play earlier in the game. I think my dead grandmother saw that play coming. Blow Nix can move a little, how about a play-action rollout giving him the option to pass or run?

They did roll him out a little, but to the left, which I always find stupid with a right handed QB in that situation.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Make me feel very slightly better about Zack Morris and Officer Barbrady. Very, very, very slightly better.

As Oregon was lining up for the 4th and 3 late in the game, I told Mrs. Greenbean, "There is no way they are going for this, they will try to draw them offsides."
He also ran a couple garbage short passing plays for incompletions when he could have run the ball, set up the FG try wherever the kicker wanted it, and shaved a few yards off the distance. That ended up being the difference between a make and a miss.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login