The all-inclusive "next year's lineup" thread

Sutterkane

Jan 23, 2007
What I think....here's some scenarios to ponder:

Assuming the best (everyone stays that can, and we get Hopson and the rest of our class; I don't see this happening):

Varnado - puts on a few more lbs, develops his offensive game a little more. he already improved over last year this year, but will be better.
Bailey - goes to a big man camp and gets better with his feet and develops some more moves. Rebounds and defends better than Rhodes next year.
Stewart
Hansbrough
Gordon

Subs:
Hopson subs in for Stewart/Hans and gets at least 10 minutes every game. When Gordon is out, Stewart/Hans run the point. MAYBE Turner.
R. Johnson subs in a lot more and improves his defense.
B. Johnson & Augustus gives V + B a breather and gives solid minutes.
Osby comes in on a very limited basis.
Bost redshirts.

We play Man to Man the whole game with a deep bench. I know I left Benock out but I already listed 11 guys that I think are better in the lineup anyway.

Worst case scenario:
We miss out on Hopson, Augustus & Hans transfer, Gordon goes pro:

Varnado
Bailey
R Johnson plays the 3
Benock and Turner fight it out for the 2 (Turner wins)
Stewart runs the point

Bench:
B Johnson for the big guys, with Osby getting limited PT like Bailey did this year
Bost getting some learning PT subbing for Stewart, Turner also playing some point

This puts us about 7 deep if we're lucky and have people contributing.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Bost redshirt?
Hopson off the bench and 10 minutes a game?
Osby limited minutes?

Put down the crack and seek help.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I've already put my lineup together:

Gordan
Hansbrough
Hopson
Varnado
Osby- just a guess

Sixth man- Stewart

Worst case scenario:

Stewart
Turner
Ravern
Varnado
Osby

Sixth man- Benock

Chernobyl scenario:

Benock
Bolen
Iupe
Augustus
Brian Johnson

Sixth man- Rod Bryant- Is he still on the team?

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Columbus Dawg said:
Bost redshirt?
Hopson off the bench and 10 minutes a game?
Osby limited minutes?

Put down the crack and seek help.

Agreed...

Osby will play significant minutes.
He is like a big guard and can shoot the deep 3-ball.
Hopson will not come to MSU to sit on the bench.
Stans did not recruit a point guard to red-shirt, most likely J-Money goes to Europe or Asia.
</p>

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Let's see what's on the menu for next year:

Gordon - we all know what he brings. 50/50 he comes back - depends on how attractive playing in Europe is to him probably.

Hans - what he showed today is what I thought he'd bring all year. Needs to develop consistency and really work on a 5-10 foot midrange game

Stewart - big regression offensively from his freshman year. Seemed more comfortable attacking the rim but had trouble finishing. Also needs a pull up midrange game, improve finishing and speeding up his release on his jumper. Personally I think he comes off the bench next year.

Varnado - appears to be working on his shot and think he can make the leap to a 12-14 ppg scorer next year. Needs to work on offensive rebounding and post moves.

Ravern - really starting coming on late. I think he starts next year as he's made progress on defense and ball-handling and can shoot the ball well. Being 6'7 gives him the starting edge.

Turner - he's a guy that can get lost in the mix, but does bring energy and is a streak shooter. Seems out of control a lot. Has to prove he can do some things better than the guys that jumped him for PT.

Benock - surprised me at times this year and can shoot when open. Better defender than I imagined but if everyone signs and comes back I don't see any way he's part of the rotation. Not bad for a 10-11th guy at all.

Bailey - showed flashes this year but is very raw. Must work on offensive moves and defensive discipline...but you could never question his hustle. Seems to have pretty good hands and he made some great catches this year. Hard to tell his upside but he gets big minutes next year

Johnson - still think he comes off the bench. Solid player but you can tell that leg is just never going to be the same which is too bad. Works hard and gives good effort and seems to be a good team guy. Maybe another off-season shows improved health and we're surprised.

Augustus - staff praises him as best shooter on the team so if he hangs around could be a darkhorse pick for good PT if he shows he can play defense and do anything else other than shoot. We haven't seen him play so he's a mystery. I think some hoped that he'd be a Slater with an outside shot, but I honestly don't know what his game looks like.

Osby - never seen him play, but his video shows him to be pretty versatile on offense and looks very fluid. As with all freshman with Stans, it's how he plays defense but I really like what he can bring to the table.

Bost - never seen him play either but can apparently score the basketball which our off guards struggled to do consistenly. Hopefully he's a threat to get to the rim and Barry and Ben aren't much threats there.

Hopson - apparently has NBA-type talent which should mean he's a scoring machine. Let's hope we land him and find out.

Now, if Hopson signs - does Benock lose his scholarship b/c I count 13 guys then and can't you only have 12? Of course we'll probably have at least one transfer.

So if everyone comes here's how I see it:

PG - Gordon
SG - Hans
SF - Ravern
PF - Bailey
C - Varnado

B - Stewart
B - Johnson
B - Hopson
B - Osby

hard pressed for minutes: Bost, Turner, Augustus

Be interesting, that's for sure.

Sutterkane

Jan 23, 2007
Leaving out Osby in the frontcourt, you're saying Rick Stansbury is going to sit 2 junior guards for 2 true freshmen guards who are unproven at the college level? While he did start giving more PT to Hans and Stewart their Freshmen years over the Delks, they had to earn it and he hardly ever sits people who have paid their dues for MSU, showing respect to people who have stuck around and have seniority.

If everyone comes back, it will be a crowded house, that's for sure.</p>

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Trust me, if we are fortunate enough to bring in McDonald's All-American, Scotty Hopson, he will not be sitting on the bench behind Barry or Ben. We will never go anywhere with Barry playing 30+ minutes per game.

And Dee Bost is a big time recruit who won a State Championship in high school and a national championship at Prep school winning MVP in both games. He wasn't signed to redshirt, he was signed to be our point guard.

bulldog saints fan

May 23, 2006
If we get Hopson and Jamont comes back, we would have many options. I agree with some other posters in that I think that one of Ben or Barry would be good sixth man if Hopson starts. I know it won't happen but how about this lineup:
Jamont, Hopson, Ravern, Osby, Varnado. That is one hell of an athletic starting 5 and we would have experienced depth with Ben, Barry, and Elgin.

Coach34

Jul 20, 2012
Ravern is going to be in the line up next year at the 4 and we go small and quick

hatfieldms

Feb 20, 2008
Sutterkane woya said:
Leaving out Osby in the frontcourt, you're saying Rick Stansbury is going to sit 2 junior guards for 2 true freshmen guards who are unproven at the college level? While he did start giving more PT to Hans and Stewart their Freshmen years over the Delks, they had to earn it and he hardly ever sits people who have paid their dues for MSU, showing respect to people who have stuck around and have seniority.

If everyone comes back, it will be a crowded house, that's for sure.</p>

Trust me when I say that Hopson will not come here to sit on the bench. It is ridiculous to even believe that. If he comes here he will be one of the best players we have the second he signs</p>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login