The amazing, ever-changing strike zone in Omaha.

Nov 29, 2017
Is it the same Blue from 2021? Trying to find that picture of the so call ball he called against McLeod in game one of the Natty.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Automated ball-strike calls can’t happen soon enough. Hopefully some of these umpires will get embarrassed enough (or educated enough) to get better at their job.
Agree. This HP ump tonight is a joke. I don't care who you're rooting for either way.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Automated ball-strike calls can’t happen soon enough. Hopefully some of these umpires will get embarrassed enough (or educated enough) to get better at their job.
I think it's coming soon. Trackman is widely used by college, minor and MLB for "studies".

Reactions: patdog

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
Lets take a look at the 3 consecutive walks LSU gave up in the 6th

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
By definition, if the ball touches boundary of the strike zone, it's a strike, right? Or does the entire ball need to be inside the zone?

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
By definition, if the ball touches boundary of the strike zone, it's a strike, right? Or does the entire ball need to be inside the zone?

I think so. But did they really throw 18 straight pitches that could have been strikes? Only three of those balls look particularly bad, but still that's too many errors.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I think a lot of people will be surprised how much their eyes deceive them when ball-strike calls are automated. With the amount of movement these guys create, a lot of pitches that look perfect when hitting the catcher's mitt were not strikes when they crossed the front of the plate and vice versa.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
That's baseball.
That's one of the things I don't like about baseball. There's nothing wrong with having a human element in the game, but those walks are about as bad as I have seen an umpire squeeze the strike zone. I can see you getting a couple calls wrong for one batter, but doing it three batters in a row was pitiful. I would've said the same thing if the teams were reversed in that situation. He completely changed the game.

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
I'm not too fond of LSU, but this is beyond ridiculous. I'm so confused at what a strike is right now.

I think I would've gotten thrown out a couple of minutes ago but it's all good now that WF is on top.

Play at the plate was wild
The chosen year!!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think a lot of people will be surprised how much their eyes deceive them when ball-strike calls are automated. With the amount of movement these guys create, a lot of pitches that look perfect when hitting the catcher's mitt were not strikes when they crossed the front of the plate and vice versa.
I get missing calls for pitches that are on the plate or off the plate but I was more concerned with his strike zone which kept shrinking up and down with pitches right down the middle of the plate.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Ump definitely had some bad calls as the game went on. I thought he had a decent size zone early and then suddenly wouldn't call a strike. Even the announcers said the zone seemed to tighten up after the sun / shade situation changed.

Although I will also say I thought the LSU catcher was doing a poor job of framing. I get slightly annoyed when catchers jerk an obvious ball back into the zone, but he was doing the opposite a few times. He'd catch a ball with his glove moving away from the strike zone.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Just according to that graphics, I see an ump with a tight zone. He did miss some according to that graphic. But some could go either way to the naked eye.... and the way catchers frame pitches, the ump has one second to see where a pitch crossed.

regardless, go to trackman. Umps can still call outs, balks, time out, and check swings etc.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login