The Athletic article on SEC scheduling

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Not much definite reported other than it seems it will be a big topic and possibly decided at SEC meetings in a couple of weeks. Other highlights:

9 conference games; probable, but not certain
Divisions; most likely eliminated because it creates unworkable model of more teams playing one another more often
Permanent opponents seems to have more momentum than pods

https://theathletic.com/3316970/202...conference/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

patdog

May 28, 2007
Interesting. Probably the best article I've seen on this to date. I agree that we'll probably see a permanent-rotating model with no divisions or pods. I think they'll hold off on a potential move to 9 games until after the playoff is expanded, and maybe not even then.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Eagerly awaiting the announcement about permanent neutral site games against Texas & Oklahoma played in Dallas. No 17ing sarcasterics!

See your sarcasetrics but do think we will start seeing far more neutral site games as attendance dwindles at most on campus stadiums.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Permanent opponents seems to have more momentum than pods
Thank the Lord. Pods are a bad half measure. Nothing but smaller divisions. They don't get you any closer to what we all want, which is a product more similar to basketball/baseball but yet still values the regular season.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I disagree. I think you will see more conference games and more home and home with P5s to attract fans and appease tv networks. The declining fan numbers are a real issue though and the model will have to change to a more NFL type model where you have less people but more perks/luxury for those attending.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I disagree. I think you will see more conference games and more home and home with P5s to attract fans and appease tv networks. The declining fan numbers are a real issue though and the model will have to change to a more NFL type model where you have less people but more perks/luxury for those attending.
Neutral site games provide exactly that, plus they are one-year deals. I don't like them, but I doubt they go away anytime soon. I would much prefer on-campus home and homes.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
I dont think they will go away, but dont think you will see more. Trying to sell tickets and ask fans to travel is getting harder and harder. Especially if they expand the playoffs and add another potential game. Alabama is pivoting from neutral games to home and home (Wisconsin, Ohio State, West Virginia and Florida State already set up for home and homes) , because there are only so many times you can go to Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I dont think they will go away, but dont think you will see more. Trying to sell tickets and ask fans to travel is getting harder and harder. Especially if they expand the playoffs and add another potential game. Alabama is pivoting from neutral games to home and home (Wisconsin, Ohio State, West Virginia and Florida State already set up for home and homes) , because there are only so many times you can go to Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc.
I hope you're right. The whole concept of neutral sites in cities, and bowl games with no meaning, is just totally played out to me. It only works if they are in a meaningful playoff.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
That first Texas vs Texas A&M meeting will be marketed like the NC game. The hype concept will probably work. It will be played in Dallas. It will probably have the highest ratings of the season. The SEC and ESPN will go all in.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login