The Athletic on the Future of College Football...

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
[FONT="]Spent the last few months asking stakeholders in college football these two questions: Who should run college football?And how should its skyrocketing revenues be distributed?w/ @slmandel, a deep dive into the future of CFB & athlete compensation: https://t.co/8QI8CPrK9V pic.twitter.com/ItUbLyfyhH— Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) September 27, 2022 [/FONT]

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Matt Brown with a good twitter thread response starting with...

[FONT=&]
[/FONT]

and ending with...

[FONT="]This also lines up exactly with what I heard at LEAD1 and elsewhere. The COLLEGE part of college sports is honest-to-God REALLY important to a lot of administrators...more than the 'amateurism' part, although they can't always say that in public. pic.twitter.com/PizlaVGgxm— Matt Brown (@MattBrownEP) September 27, 2022 [/FONT]
[FONT=&]

[/FONT]

Last edited:

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Who are considered "stakeholders in college football"? I'll need that question answered first. The paying fans, the big money boosters, administrations, players, coaches, academic institutions, tv networks? All of them combined?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Who are considered "stakeholders in college football"? I'll need that question answered first. The paying fans, the big money boosters, administrations, players, coaches, academic institutions, tv networks? All of them combined?

In the traditional sense of the word, all of those would be considered stakeholders either direct or indirect. I would also add "CFP Administration, LLC", the corporation that actually runs the CFP. I would also say 'paying fans' are pretty low on that list and at this point, so are 'big money boosters' (though that part is going to vary school to school).

I would classify the biggest stakeholders as:
Academic Institutions
TV Networks
CFP Administration, LLC

J-Dawg

Mar 4, 2009
Matt Brown with a good twitter thread response starting with...

and ending with...

[FONT="]This also lines up exactly with what I heard at LEAD1 and elsewhere. The COLLEGE part of college sports is honest-to-God REALLY important to a lot of administrators...more than the 'amateurism' part, although they can't always say that in public. pic.twitter.com/PizlaVGgxm— Matt Brown (@MattBrownEP) September 27, 2022 [/FONT]

Well of course it is. If the college part wasn't there, they wouldn't be raking in millions.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Fans and boosters are not mentioned at all.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Spent the last few months asking stakeholders in college football these two questions: Who should run college football?
And how should its skyrocketing revenues be distributed?w/ @slmandel, a deep dive into the future of CFB & athlete compensation
Money should go to actual universities. "Easy" enough. Federal Legislation allowing exempting amateur high school and collegiate athletics from anti-trust. Total compensation for players capped at tuition plus poverty level for single person. For football, on field coaches limited to 7. Head coach limited to 150% of base salary of member of house of representatives (excluding compensation for leadership or committee stuff). Two Coordinator positions limited to pay for Member of House. 4 additional coaches limited to 75% of coordinator pay. Rest has to go back to university. Not sure if it's possible to stop the arms race in facilities. Maybe require top 10% spenders on facilities to have compensation for players and coaches reduced for each percent they are above 125% of median spending in their conference? Probalby have something similar to cut down on spending on additional support staff.

ETA: Forgot to add that if a school opts in to antitrust exemption, and then try to get around amateurism rules by paying players or coaches below the table, it'd be a serious crime with significant penalties to the individual and/or entity providing the benefits. Make it legal for players to accept under the table payments and also give them a reward for turning people in. Also probably open it up to qi tam actions in general so boosters from rival schools could potentially get paid for tagging coaches or boosters for antitrust violations.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I don't understand why NIL Salary Caps don't get entered into the discussion. I'm prolly missing something.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Head coach limited to 150% of base salary of member of house of representatives (excluding compensation for leadership or committee stuff). Two Coordinator positions limited to pay for Member of House.
State house or member of Congress?

Texas State House members are paid like $7000 a year. Gonna be tough to find a coach to lose to Appalachian State for that much.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
State house or member of Congress?

Texas State House members are paid like $7000 a year. Gonna be tough to find a coach to lose to Appalachian State for that much.

Federal. Would have to be federal antitrust exemption. Federal gives them a high enough pay to get good coaches, but just like with college football players, there will be no question whether you want to be in college or in the NFL compensation wise.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don't understand why NIL Salary Caps don't get entered into the discussion. I'm prolly missing something.

I've heard it mentioned, but the problem is that, as of right now, players aren't truly employees of the university and the university currently has no involvement in each player's NIL deal. I'm not even sure that players have to disclose how much they get from their NIL deals to their schools.

Even pro leagues with salary caps have no involvement or cap on what a player can make outside of their playing contract.

Beyond that, even if caps were to be implemented, you would have to have some sort of agreement among schools and conferences as to what that cap would be. I'm also not sure what the legality of imposing a cap would be and probably varies state to state.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The problem with limiting coach's salaries to this extent would mean no more great / good college football coaches. Good / Great football coaches are capable of making tons more in other areas of the private sector as they are not mediocre people.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
". The COLLEGE part of college sports is honest-to-God REALLY important to a lot of administrators...more than the 'amateurism' part, "

I think you'll find that is important to the majority. However nobody in power has the balls to refuse the money and do the things necessary to go back to amateurism.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
What is the basis for the amount the players receive in stipend money? Just raise the stipend money considerably based on tv contracts and distribute across all the athletes/sports. Then you are in compliance with Title IX. Also every player gets a decent amount.

Again, my coworkers son plays for an ACC school. His son has received $0 in nil money. However he tells me that his son never ask for money. He says the kid is well taking care of by the school and with stipend money.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Anyone have a problem if I just continue to slowly drift away from any personal investment (money or time, other than here at 6P) in college athletics? Anyone? With every day that passes I find myself more and more likely to say 17 it.

bddawg

Feb 21, 2018
What is the basis for the amount the players receive in stipend money? Just raise the stipend money considerably based on tv contracts and distribute across all the athletes/sports. Then you are in compliance with Title IX. Also every player gets a decent amount.

Again, my coworkers son plays for an ACC school. His son has received $0 in nil money. However he tells me that his son never ask for money. He says the kid is well taking care of by the school and with stipend money.

And odds are- you friends so will never play professionally. Just like the other 90+ percent. The thing is, people act like they aren't getting anything. A full ride is worth a ton. They don't have any bills and they get stipend money, among other things. I'm not opposed to them getting something. But that something is very limited. They, football players, have it way better than the rest of the student athletes for the most part. Basketball guys bout the same. The rest- trash in comparison.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
College football will be like cable TV.

With lots of alternatives being varied and innovative, it will be abandoned en masse, but will retain a loyal and wealthy group of elite strongholds who don’t mind the cost, still write and mail actual checks, and enjoy peeing during the commercial breaks.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Are you sure universities have no involvement in NIL? Isn’t that what the BI is for? They play the role of talent scout and help connect the athletes with the ad buyers.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

NIL is essentially revenue for ad spots. Does individual player advertisement revenue get accounted for in NFL salary caps? Does Dak’s money from the TV ads count towards the Cowboy salary cap?

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Bunch of communist dictators on here. Lets limit the salaries of all Americans why don't we because I don't like that Jeff Bezos makes all that money. Not a single scholarship receiving person at any university is limited on the money they can make while on scholarship except for the Student-Athlete until NIL came along. Schools tomorrow can say that there is a salary cap on expenses that an athletic department can have each year. They can limit the money spent on recruiting. They can limit the money spent on facility improvements. They could probably have an overall salary cap for the entire coaching staff. All rules should only effect the team and university and not be some sort collusion against the workers.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I think we can see right now why there were rules around the student-athletes earning money from "NIL" prior to passing of NIL.

I think everyone agrees that it is wrong for a corporation to make money off a student athletes likeness and not share that money. However that has always been limited because of what we see now..... blatantly auctions of high school players taking place by unscrupulous boosters and handlers to take advantage of the loopholes in NIL.

A different argument that people make but lump nil in, is paying on campus players directly because the schools make so much money or because the coaches make so much money. I argue that the athletes are paid through scholarships and stipends, etc.

The only way to keep any semblance of the current college sports model is to walk back NIL and beef up ncaa enforcement of recruiting rules (flame away people). Then to be fair to the student athletes is to increase their stipend through tv contract money.

However, I guess there is no way to repeal NIL because the Supreme Court rules on it.

Last edited:

Kenny.sixpack

Aug 23, 2021
I don't think there is any way it'll walk back now. They should look at how the NFL has created parity among the teams and do some modeling after that. The destruction of college football is the lack of competition at the top. Same 5 teams are the only teams with any possibility to win it all. People are finding other things to do with their time and watching NFL is one of them since it is so competitive.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
My Hot Take: NIL money is going to be like microtransactions for online gaming. You may not win more by spending the most money to level up your character, but you are going to be lower level than everyone else if you don't.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login