The biggest impact of Cohen going to Auburn

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Any time the SEC ADs vote, we'll have 3 people looking out for Mississippi State, potentially 4 if Greg Byrne feels strongly about us.

Neither Stricklin nor Cohen are going to cast a vote that hurts Mississippi State, I feel confident about that. They won't screw us with cowbell bans, scheduling inequities, etc., and if that fateful day ever comes that the networks start seriously questioning why the smallest and poorest state in the footprint has 2 schools in it instead of just 1, it can't hurt to have the Florida, Auburn, and probably Alabama ADs in our corner.

Let's seed some more departments with MSU loyalists.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Any time the SEC ADs vote, we'll have 3 people looking out for Mississippi State, potentially 4 if Greg Byrne feels strongly about us.

Neither Stricklin nor Cohen are going to cast a vote that hurts Mississippi State, I feel confident about that. They won't screw us with cowbell bans, scheduling inequities, etc., and if that fateful day ever comes that the networks start seriously questioning why the smallest and poorest state in the footprint has 2 schools in it instead of just 1, it can't hurt to have the Florida, Auburn, and probably Alabama ADs in our corner.

It looks bad that we lost two “native son” ADs to other schools. It is one thing to lose Greg Byrne to bigger schools. It is another to lose alums to other schools.

Reactions: CDawg08

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
It looks bad that we lost two “native son” ADs to other schools. It is one thing to lose Greg Byrne to bigger schools. It is another to lose alums to other schools.
Yeah but Stricklin has turned UF into a mid level sec east program and now we just need to make sure Cohen keeps Auburn at the bottom. Byrne hasn’t held up his end yet but hopefully after saban leaves, he can hire someone to tank them.

Our work of slowly taking down each sec program is coming to fruition**

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I guess but who cares? Having 3-4 votes in our pocket instead of just 1 puts us as a pretty big advantage over the rest of of the non-elite schools, which is a lot bigger deal than briefly looking bad for an afternoon.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Yeah but Stricklin has turned UF into a mid level sec east program and now we just need to make sure Cohen keeps Auburn at the bottom. Byrne hasn’t held up his end yet but hopefully after saban leaves, he can hire someone to tank them.

So, bring all the other programs to a Mississippi State level of mediocrity? Funny

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Not really. Both jobs are for all intents and purposes better than this job. Sucks to say but it’s the truth.
Dealing with the Bull Gators and the Yellawood Auburn cigar boys? Do they have more resources? Absolutely. But dealing with the big money alums would not be easy.

CoachT1991

Jan 3, 2020
Dealing with the Bull Gators and the Yellawood Auburn cigar boys? Do they have more resources? Absolutely. But dealing with the big money alums would not be easy.
It’s still a better job objectively speaking than ours. More money. Better facilities. Football National Championship. Historically a better program.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
I’m sure Greg Byrne is nervous about this AU hire…not

Technically you are correct, so either we have overachieved vs AU the last 10 years or they have underachieved.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

I find it somewhat amusing and very Mississippi State to hear we need to dump Cohen, and he sucks and then mumbles and grumbles when another school hires him away.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Brilliant strategy by Cohen if true. I don't think he's done a very good job, but I always seem as loving everything State. He will be one of our biggest assets while at Auburn, intentional or not.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

Holdup.

Cohen is leaving Mississippi State to become AD at Auburn?

If so, then we owe thanks to the War-Eagles.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
It’s still a better job objectively speaking than ours. More money. Better facilities. Football National Championship. Historically a better program.
If I am an AD, I wouldn’t want either of those jobs. Jeremy Foley and the HBC still run things in Gainesville. Your achievements are always going to pale in comparison to what they have done. Hell, Urban Meyer won two Nattys there and the HBC is still more loved there. And Auburn’s boosters run hog *** wild. You basically work for the most crooked boosters on the planet that are not Ole Miss.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login