The circle of Cohen.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The thought hit me last night that this is the end of Cohen's era of influence on our baseball program. And, in typical Cohen fashion, it's taken us in a full 360-degree circle. From the depths our program had never seen before, to heights it had never seen before, and then back into the depths even worse than the first ones 17 years ago.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The thought hit me last night that this is the end of Cohen's era of influence on our baseball program. And, in typical Cohen fashion, it's taken us in a full 360-degree circle. From the depths our program had never seen before, to heights it had never seen before, and then back into the depths even worse than the first ones 17 years ago.
"Circle", is that the same as a "cluster 17"?

patdog

May 28, 2007
The fact there’s a portion of the fanbase still defending Cohen is pretty depressing.
I will say this for him. He would have fired Lemonis last May. One problem he didn't have was keeping coaches who weren't getting the job done too long. Now the new hire to replace him would have been a complete crapshoot.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's hard to talk negatively regarding Cohen when it comes to the baseball program. He saved it, and helped bring our first national title. Period. I know this is hard for you to do, but it's the truth. He should be right there with Polk, Raffy and Clark as far as statues/Mt. Rushmore of MSU baseball type stuff.

I will say this for him. He would have fired Lemonis last May. One problem he didn't have was keeping coaches who weren't getting the job done too long. Now the new hire to replace him would have been a complete crapshoot.
I'm not sure he would have or wouldn't have, but one thing I am pretty sure of - he would get the next hire correct after Lemonis, whether it was Vitello or Burroughs or whoever. He would realize now that the type of program we need is the one he built - based on the second tier type players, high 3 star and 4 star, with chips on their shoulders, who also had pretty good talent and just need some development. Most of them were tough and didn't mind the intensity. I also think he wanted to see if the 'national crooter' blueprint would work at MSU, similar to what the Florida's, Vandy's, LSU's typically do. I think we all see it doesn't, but it was worth a try. Those schools get the studs, we ended up with the travel ball duds. This was similar to him wanting to try a passing offense for MSU football. It was a mistake, but it did yield a title, and now we are simply in a position where we must correct it. Such is life.

Will Selmon get the right guy? Who knows. A couple facts are - most everyone was split on Lemonis after 2023. No one will be split after 2024. When in doubt, you don't fire a national title winning coach. Especially when he was around .500. It's not like Chizik who was .250 his second year after the title. The national talking heads will even agree now too, when they were split after 2023.

It's going to work out. Well - maybe. Problem is, Cohen is now helping build a program in the state of Alabama, where we used to get a bunch of good players.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login