The elephant in the room - Defense

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
We hired an OC to be our next head coach when it felt like we were promised someone with more experience (again). The fanbase seemed to buy into that after Lebby got to campus. After all, we can save big bucks on having to pay huge buyouts AND having to hire an OC. That should have left a nice chunk to go after an experienced DC and some really good assistants.

<crickets>

We then proceed to hire several guys on the defensive side that cannot possibly instill any confidence in anyone. Maybe they will be great, but we all have to look at the resumes at this point. The biggest thing we were left to get excited about was retaining Turner. Recruits seem to agree, because the commitments we are getting now consist of portal guys with no stats and JUCOs.

What am I missing here? Tell me I am missing something.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
Coffee Cooking GIF by Holly Logan

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
I will NEVER understand the DC hire we made. You could have went and got a good G5 DC that's called plays and is proven yet you hired a no name career position coach from Bama where they didn't even know him

Reactions: patdog

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
We hired an OC to be our next head coach when it felt like we were promised someone with more experience (again). The fanbase seemed to buy into that after Lebby got to campus. After all, we can save big bucks on having to pay huge buyouts AND having to hire an OC. That should have left a nice chunk to go after an experienced DC and some really good assistants.

<crickets>

We then proceed to hire several guys on the defensive side that cannot possibly instill any confidence in anyone. Maybe they will be great, but we all have to look at the resumes at this point. The biggest thing we were left to get excited about was retaining Turner. Recruits seem to agree, because the commitments we are getting now consist of portal guys with no stats and JUCOs.

My answer (to you and most of our fan base) would be, "calm down, let's wait and see".

Usually, the guys doing the hiring in these situations have more information on the guy hired than the general fan in the wild. Meaning, Lebby interviewed him, listened to his plan and defensive philosophy, talked to other people who know him - and he saw enough potential that he hired him. Think about that - he had to hire a guy that may cost him his own $5M/year job if he sucks too bad. So I imagine Lebby thinks this new DC has potential, even though I couldn't tell you his name to save my life right now.

Even Matt Brock, who everyone wanted to string up early, got better toward the end of this season. Young guys have to start somewhere, and they usually get better as they go along. So let's see what happens this year before we jump off the cliff.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Lately I have disagreed with most of the ridiculous comments on this board but this I have to agree with. I was really hoping for better. Durkin or even Collins I was assuming. I liked the thought of bringing back the Psycho defense. And I figured Collins would take the job. Idk. We just have to assume this guy is the next great DC. I guess Lebby knows what he is doing. And Barnes too. Not enamored with that either. Keep the faith. If these coaches are as good as Lebby apparently thinks they are it will be good

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I will NEVER understand the DC hire we made. You could have went and got a good G5 DC that's called plays and is proven yet you hired a no name career position coach from Bama where they didn't even know him
Didn't we try that on offense?

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
Lately I have disagreed with most of the ridiculous comments on this board but this I have to agree with. I was really hoping for better. Durkin or even Collins I was assuming. I liked the thought of bringing back the Psycho defense. And I figured Collins would take the job. Idk. We just have to assume this guy is the next great DC. I guess Lebby knows what he is doing. And Barnes too. Not enamored with that either. Keep the faith. If these coaches are as good as Lebby apparently thinks they are it will be good
Kinda where I was - figured we would get someone I had heard of, but that didn't work out. Next guy is up, hopefully Lebby knows what he's doing.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We're replacing practically our entire starting defense anyway. Got to expect we were going to struggle on that side of the ball regardless of who was hired. It honestly may be a situation where potential DCs looked at our returning personnel and said no thanks. It's a complete rebuild after losing multiple guys who were like 25 years old and been starting for 4-5 years.

Old Dawg

Jan 7, 2020

<crickets>

Doom and gloom, true MSU fans

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
You have to have a good D to sniff any success in this league. Even the so called offensive powerhouses in the league fail to score 30 plus several times a year.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
I think most of us were hoping for a better (more known/splashier/confidence inspiring) name. I guess we want really know until September how good our DC really is. He may be better than all of the big names mentioned. He may suck.

Son_of_34

Sep 30, 2012
This...3 teams in the top 15 defenses
4. Ohio
11. SMU
15. Troy

All DCs could have been risky but at least they were proven to be good at scheming and play calling

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
We're replacing practically our entire starting defense anyway. Got to expect we were going to struggle on that side of the ball regardless of who was hired. It honestly may be a situation where potential DCs looked at our returning personnel and said no thanks. It's a complete rebuild after losing multiple guys who were like 25 years old and been starting for 4-5 years.
This is a fact. We don't know what to expect tho. Contrary to popular opinion we have a bunch of guys that were good recruits over the last 3 years. They have been working out and practicing for years. It's possible we have most of the pieces we need once they get some first team reps. Cornerback room is thin but everywhere else we got guys. Are they players ? Guess we gonna find out

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login