The elephant in the room going forward: QB

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Now that I’ve had a day to mentally step back from Saturday night’s near train wreck, it’s not too difficult to recognize they’re somehow, someway… basically right on track with where I thought this team would be at this point in the season. I thought we’d knock off UK while dropping one of two against A&M and Ark, but whatever. We’re a 7-8 win team which is what I was expecting this season

With all that said, we all see it. This team has a definitive ceiling against an SEC schedule, Will isn’t going pro, and he technically has 2 more years to play. This season, I get it. Sawyer and Locke aren’t ready, and for all his physical limitations, Rogers undeniably has an impressive command of the air raid 80-90% of the time. But this team simply isn’t winning more than 7-8 games with him at QB.

As the pressure to win another game or two increases, what is Leach gonna do here?

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Now that I’ve had a day to mentally step back from Saturday night’s near train wreck, it’s not too difficult to recognize they’re somehow, someway… basically right on track with where I thought this team would be at this point in the season. I thought we’d knock off UK while dropping one of two against A&M and Ark, but whatever. We’re a 7-8 win team which is what I was expecting this season

With all that said, we all see it. This team has a definitive ceiling against an SEC schedule, Will isn’t going pro, and he technically has 2 more years to play. This season, I get it. Sawyer and Locke aren’t ready, and for all his physical limitations, Rogers undeniably has an impressive command of the air raid 80-90% of the time. But this team simply isn’t winning more than 7-8 games with him at QB.

As the pressure to win another game or two increases, what is Leach gonna do here?
I think Leach is all in on Rogers. Just don't see him benching him. I don't necessarily have a problem with that depending on whose fault it is that we consistently dump to the RB on third and long. Is that Roger not having vision? Our WRs not getting open? Rogers not having the arm strength to get it in the windows available? I'm perfectly fine with trading off the ability to make some throws in exchange for having somebody that's more accurate and has a better command of the offense, but not if that means we are throwing behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and long.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
The incoming QB recruit at least signals a possible new direction for Leach’s offense. Mobility has to be in the toolbox given the quality of defensive lineman in this conference. Maybe Will can take another step in reading disguised coverage next year but he is certainly physically limited.
Leach seems to put a lot of heat on his receivers for these bad performances so I think they are also a big part of the issue. It’s hard to see what they are doing on the TV feed but we know that virtually all of them have had some key drops. The offense has to get better across the board.

Reactions: cytubb

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

You can hear a little frustration in Leach’s press conferences that we aren’t attempting to push the ball down field more with deep passes.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I feel like some of y'all never played much football. There's plenty of time in preseason practices to make yourself the clear starting QB.

Obviously Will has done that and his in game performances make it obvious why. I doubt there is any QB controversy within that QB room. You know if your not nearly as good as the guy next to you.

He ain't losing the job this season. Others will have plenty of opportunity in the off-season to unseat him. I doubt it happens, but I feel sure Leach will play whoever gives him the best chance to win.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Not sure what your question is. Yes, Rogers has his limitations that were on full display Saturday night. But unless someone beats him out, he's our QB as long as he has eligibility left. And right now, I don't see anyone beating him out.

Reactions: She Mate Me

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012

With all the batted passes and him not seeing receivers open against better (larger) competition, I wonder if his height is his biggest limiting factor. He CAN make all the throws, but this game he held the ball forever, seemingly not seeing what he wanted to see. I also think that Leach folding up the WR chairs is indicative of them having a subpar night. I'd love to see a Matt Wyatt breakdown of our unsuccessful drives to know what really happened.

patdog

May 28, 2007
With all the batted passes and him not seeing receivers open against better (larger) competition, I wonder if his height is his biggest limiting factor. He CAN make all the throws, but this game he held the ball forever, seemingly not seeing what he wanted to see. I also think that Leach folding up the WR chairs is indicative of them having a subpar night. I'd love to see a Matt Wyatt breakdown of our unsuccessful drives to know what really happened.
He's listed at 6'2". The average NFL starting QB is 6'3". Height shouldn't be a huge issue. I think it's more pocket awareness than anything.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
He's listed at 6'2". The average NFL starting QB is 6'3". Height shouldn't be a huge issue. I think it's more pocket awareness than anything.
His internal timer was for sure off. I mean our OL went all turnstile a few times, but several times he held it FOREVER in the pocket. Find a receiver, or run, or throw it away.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
You can hear a little frustration in Leach’s press conferences that we aren’t attempting to push the ball down field more with deep passes.
This my frustration with Leach. If he's frustrated about it then he has to do something about it not just complain. Either work with Rogers to get him pushing it down field more or find a QB that will.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Will doesn't have an internal clock and he has real trouble reading the field/trusting his judgement/Whatthe17ever after the ball is snapped.

You can tell Leach is frustrated with Roger's decision making or lack there of --- hope to hell somebody in the QB room can challenge for the position next year. You have to believe Leach is going to start the person he thinks gives the team the best chance to win games. I think Will does have the respect of the team - he's certainly been battling with them for a while now -- and that counts for something.

I know folks want to see a mobile QB, but it takes a strong, decisive passer to really make this offense work. Will should be there by now.

He threw maybe 5 passes over 10 yards that were truly "accurate" on Saturday night. Three of them went for touchdowns. I realize he cannot be perfect on every throw, but he throws late and behind receivers way to much.

Nobody likes turnovers, but you'd rather him throw an interception trying to get the ball down field than see him hold on to the ball too long and fumble it away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doubledawgblitz

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I hope that we have a true competition at the spot next fall. Sawyer should be ready and competent enough to truly push Will if he is the heir apparent. I would like to see him play about half of the East Tennessee game. If he is all that he was billed to be, it's time for him to step up and take the spot.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
I think Leach is all in on Rogers. Just don't see him benching him. I don't necessarily have a problem with that depending on whose fault it is that we consistently dump to the RB on third and long. Is that Roger not having vision? Our WRs not getting open? Rogers not having the arm strength to get it in the windows available? I'm perfectly fine with trading off the ability to make some throws in exchange for having somebody that's more accurate and has a better command of the offense, but not if that means we are throwing behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd and long.
Yup, Rogers is the only QB on the roster.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
What OL? It's not good. We don't have a legitimate T on the team. They can't block 4 with 5. Some of that is scheme too.
Hell, WR hasn't been impressive either with all the drops, but they are open more than Rogers can see. How about our trash *** special teams outside of our return guys?
At some point it becomes a coaching problem whe they don't have the players or the scheme clicking. Most of our starters are multi-year guys. We should be better than this. We've got two SEC games to show it.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I feel like some of y'all never played much football. There's plenty of time in preseason practices to make yourself the clear starting QB.

Obviously Will has done that and his in game performances make it obvious why. I doubt there is any QB controversy within that QB room. You know if your not nearly as good as the guy next to you.

He ain't losing the job this season. Others will have plenty of opportunity in the off-season to unseat him. I doubt it happens, but I feel sure Leach will play whoever gives him the best chance to win.
Never played organized football and I was thinking the same thing. People seem to think Leach is totally against his QB scrambling and / or taking off when warranted and I ain't buying that. He knows Will's limitations are liabilities and I bet others have a chance to take over if they get the job done during next year's practicies.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Fact of the matter is, sawyer and Locke are both really good but neither are ready. Will is very limited but he’s got experience in the system. parson is going to be great.

it would not shock me to see Leach pull in a grad transfer q b who,played in a similar spread passing attack. He got Minshew from e c s u and he was one of the best q bs in the country running the air raid, stepped right in and led the team to an 11-2 season. He had great pocket presence and a good arm. Not Michael Vick but it was very hard to sack him and he never got rattled under pressure. He could run ten yards for they pylon and would without hesitation.

you bring that in here and we are going to win a bunch of games.

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
I hope that we have a true competition at the spot next fall. Sawyer should be ready and competent enough to truly push Will if he is the heir apparent. I would like to see him play about half of the East Tennessee game. If he is all that he was billed to be, it's time for him to step up and take the spot.
If Rogers decides to hang around for two more years, and if neither Robertson nor Locke takes a significant step forward during Spring practice, then look for them both to be gone. And I couldn't blame them. If they don't have a firm enough grasp of the offense by now, and assuming neither can beat out Rogers for the job, then they should be gone. And it might happen immediately after the end of the season. I expect the QB room to look much different by the start of next season.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Upgrade the O-line, D-line, special teams, and get one wr who'd start for a top-tier SEC team and we wouldn't have this thread about Rogers. Rogers is good enough. Find some guy around 220 with speed and teach him how to be a linebacker.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Rogers is good enough for us to win 9 games this year. Possibly 10.

Has he made some mistakes? Sure but most of them are when the o line has issues.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Leach will never have a problem getting q bs , i am not concerned about a possible transfer. Typically you are going to see third year players step in, Sawyer could do it. Locke is probably the most talented q b we have. His high school records in Texas are impressive.
graham Harrell started as a sophomore, not many others.
look at Stetson Bennett, that’s about the mobility and arm strength we need to really raise the ceiling.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I don't expect Sawyer or Locke to go anywhere. I'm sure when they signed they anticipated starting their junior year barring something catastrophic. Sawyer could be the man before halftime against Georgia. They were both Leach fans so I'm sure they know not to expect to start before then. Locke is a true freshman. Sawyer is a redshirt freshman. You need to stop sniffing glue if you think they expect to play.

CoastDawg18

Mar 3, 2008
QB is not an elephant in the room. Will is the QB. There is nothing to discuss. He will be the QB next year. We aren’t getting a portal QB to replace him. There’s always a chance he could be outplayed in the offseason and lose his starting job, but that essentially never happens in the situation we will have with a multi-year starter returning that knows the system and has good production. He is the QB.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
QB is not an elephant in the room. Will is the QB. There is nothing to discuss. He will be the QB next year. We aren’t getting a portal QB to replace him. There’s always a chance he could be outplayed in the offseason and lose his starting job, but that essentially never happens in the situation we will have with a multi-year starter returning that knows the system and has good production. He is the QB.

Stop with this madness!!!

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
The one possibility that ya'll seemed to have forgotten is the fact that maybe Rogers can run but chooses not too due to the injury factor. In his mind, he signed on to be a throwing QB in the Air Raid, not a tackling dummy for SEC players. Some guys play to pay for their college education and get a degree with a chance to play in the NFL without a list of injuries. Just another take on the issue.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The one possibility that ya'll seemed to have forgotten is the fact that maybe Rogers can run but chooses not too due to the injury factor. In his mind, he signed on to be a throwing QB in the Air Raid, not a tackling dummy for SEC players. Some guys play to pay for their college education and get a degree with a chance to play in the NFL without a list of injuries. Just another take on the issue.

I think he's more athletic than many here see or give him credit for. I hope his awareness in the pocket improves, but he certainly didn't look unathletic on that run late in the game. Tom Brady has never looked as athletic running as Will did there.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Agreed, I think h
I think he's more athletic than many here see or give him credit for. I hope his awareness in the pocket improves, but he certainly didn't look unathletic on that run late in the game. Tom Brady has never looked as athletic running as Will did there.

It's possible that his physical displays are mentally limited not physically. And that might be by design.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login