The Emory Bellard show......

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
From the 6-3 victory over Alabama is on YouTube. Watch it, it's what MSU is capable of. Too many of you idgets are too sacred to admit that.

Reactions: msu6packspeak

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Well, as they say....even a blind squirrrel finds an acorn every now and then. Will we beat BAMA every other year? Every 2-3 years? Once in 5 years? Once every 10 years? How long has it been since we last beat them?....almost can't remember. Did probably our best coach EVER beat them?.....don't think so. Will we eventually beat them again? Probably. When? I really have no idea other than it was around 17 years before Bellard upset them in Jackson. All I know is they are the Elephant in the SEC room. So, how often should we expect a win over BAMA?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Well, as they say....even a blind squirrrel finds an acorn every now and then. Will we beat BAMA every other year? Every 2-3 years? Once in 5 years? Once every 10 years? How long has it been since we last beat them?....almost can't remember. Did probably our best coach EVER beat them?.....don't think so. Will we eventually beat them again? Probably. When? I really have no idea other than it was around 17 years before Bellard upset them in Jackson. All I know is they are the Elephant in the SEC room. So, how often should we expect a win over BAMA?
Croom beat them twice, and that was the last time

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
We beat Bama every year my sophomore through senior years. After the last win I was walking out of the stadium and some probably 80 something year old state fan grabbed me by the shirt and said “you better enjoy this” and then walked away. I think about that often.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
We beat Bama every year my sophomore through senior years. After the last win I was walking out of the stadium and some probably 80 something year old state fan grabbed me by the shirt and said “you better enjoy this” and then walked away. I think about that often.
Yep. He knew Bama wouldn't stay down forever. I miss those days.

LocalBeachBum

Dec 8, 2021
I was a freshman that year. Lol on me because I thought state had these kind of seasons every year.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
We will never beat Bama as long as Saban is coaching. After he retires/dies, maybe they’ll go through a regression and we’ll have a chance to beat them.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I wish we would only play them once every 10 years. Good chance that one year is a down year for them.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

drexeldog23

Dec 2, 2022
From the 6-3 victory over Alabama is on YouTube. Watch it, it's what MSU is capable of. Too many of you idgets are too sacred to admit that.
so we should bring back Coach Bellard ? i hate to be the one to tell you but ...

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
Close, but was 23 years, 1957. which so happened to be the year before Bryant came to Bama. We had one total win against Bryant and will probably end up with the same against Saban.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I hate to sound like a broken record but once again Bob Tyler is the guy who showed us the way to compete. That 1980 victory over Bama was made possible by the groundwork he had laid. Bellard was a good guy and a good coach but when he ran out of Tyler's recruits....not so much.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
NM. Found it.

Are you talking about the football capability or the helmet design?*****

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
As you should -- it's called "experience"

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I was thinking this week, would anyone have appreciated if State beat Bama 6-3 this year?

Every time State plays Auburn, State fans wallow about over the 3-2 game. Then again over the Arkansas game this year.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
uncle buck questions.gif

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
People asked about "what ifs" in the other thread. What if we beat Bama in 81?

We had our chances. They fumbled for two first downs in that game. We had a touchdown called back. and then of course the last play where Bond had Price open in the end zone for the win but bounced the ball of Mike McDonald's helmet throwing an interception.

I like to think it would have elevated our program, may be we don't lose to Ole Miss in the Egg bowl that year on a bul**hit interference call and end up in the Sugar Bowl.

But Bellard was a terrible recruiter so ultimately it might not have made much of a difference in the following years.

Reactions: 60sdog

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
I was thinking this week, would anyone have appreciated if State beat Bama 6-3 this year?

Every time State plays Auburn, State fans wallow about over the 3-2 game. Then again over the Arkansas game this year.
Yes. The answer is yes.

Baddog11

Aug 28, 2013
BUT wait. So many games over the years, there was no doubt in anybody’s mind we had the better team on the field. Only to have games flat out stolen by officiating crews from Birmingham.
And the rebels up north had the same problems.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I’m not sacred. I’ve defiled myself in ways that would make your hair curl.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Fitz and Aeris Williams whipped their *** in 2017, but a combination of Mullen loosing his gonads and the referee deciding that it was cool for Calvin Ridley to get open by running on the sideline for 10 yards or so doomed us. That one hurt more than any game I can remember after the performance Fitz and the rest of the team gave in that game.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Close, but was 23 years, 1957. which so happened to be the year before Bryant came to Bama. We had one total win against Bryant and will probably end up with the same against Saban.
I was 11 years old when I saw us play AL in Starkville in 1958, Bear’s first SEC game, I believe. AL was down in his first year, and State was favored, but he beat us anyway, 9-7. I will never forget, watching some of his players being run through grass drills in the north end zone of the stadium at halftime, while the rest of the Bama team was in the locker room. I later heard that those players had been singing on the bus riding over from Tuscaloosa. They were being subjected to Bear’s standard of discipline for not being serious enough about the game. Discipline has a whole lot to do with this game.

Reactions: $altyDawg

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
I hate to sound like a broken record but once again Bob Tyler is the guy who showed us the way to compete. That 1980 victory over Bama was made possible by the groundwork he had laid. Bellard was a good guy and a good coach but when he ran out of Tyler's recruits....not so much.
You’re correct. Tyler left good talent. As did Rocky before JWS came.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login