The End of College Football?

patdog

May 28, 2007
And we have the first holdout to get a better NIL deal. I'm pretty much done with college sports. If I'm going to watch professional athletes, I'm watching the NFL.

Link

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
This isn't the beginning of the end but more like late middle of the end. The beginning started long ago. It topped the hill with the NIL and transfer portal so it's picking up speed on the downhill run.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The final nail in the coffin will be a player's union and subsequent obligatory strike.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I am to the point that they are going to do what they are going to do and I'm just not worry about it. I will keep supporting the Bulldog Club and going to some games.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Probably. There will be about 30-40 teams that will garner everyone's attention. The rest of us will start to resemble USM's football program or other D-II / D-III programs

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
If that kid signed the NIL his high school playing days are over.

Not necessarily true. For one, he’s anonymous so no one definitively knows who he is. But secondly, he can still maintain eligibility in certain states, namely California. That is why many are speculating that it is USC commit Malachi Nelson, who is the #2 QB in the 2023 class.

But at the end of the day, I doubt whoever it is really cares. Would you give a **** about your senior year of high school football if you were already a millionaire?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I am to the point that they are going to do what they are going to do and I'm just not worry about it. I will keep supporting the Bulldog Club and going to some games.
This. Not much will change for me.

The only time I would have ever considered paying a player was if it was baseball, and was helping subsidize his scholarship. So I certainly won't ever contribute to any NIL fund.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Probably. There will be about 30-40 teams that will garner everyone's attention. The rest of us will start to resemble USM's football program or other D-II / D-III programs
Once the playoff is expanded, it will help this tremendously. 12 is the minimum. 16 preferred. Nearly 20% of NCAA basketball teams get in, and if we had 16 in football, that's only 12%. Don't think it's too much to ask.

This would be the greatest spectacle in American sports.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Remains to be seen. Timing is important, and so far the NCAA's timing on matters has been enigmatic -- either a knee-jerk reaction or an inexplicable silence

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
And we have the first holdout to get a better NIL deal. I'm pretty much done with college sports. If I'm going to watch professional athletes, I'm watching the NFL.

Link

I’m with you….at least for college football and MBB. College football was already a pretty bad product due to lack of parity even before all the recent reforms. Now, its going to be just a joke. There will be 10-15 NFL Double-A rosters, then a bunch of teams without a prayer of competing. Expanding the playoff isn’t going to help at all….before, we stood zero chance of making a 4-team playoff. When the dust settles from all this in 5 years or so, we won’t be able to make a 12 or 16 team version either.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012

Link
Same. I hate the transfer portal with immediate
playing time more than anything.

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
Should we be surprised? This is America. Money matters. I recommend being rich. I don't recommend being poor. I was there once. It's not fun. When you're rich, you get to do a lot with the extra cash which includes maybe making your favorite college team better. So many college football recruits are poor and we depend on them for emotional satisfaction on weekends in the fall. It was only a matter of time before the insane amount of money being made on and thrown around on college sports gets distributed to a few more people.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Should we be surprised? This is America. Money matters. I recommend being rich. I don't recommend being poor. I was there once. It's not fun. When you're rich, you get to do a lot with the extra cash which includes maybe making your favorite college team better. So many college football recruits are poor and we depend on them for emotional satisfaction on weekends in the fall. It was only a matter of time before the insane amount of money being made on and thrown around on college sports gets distributed to a few more people.

No truer words have ever been posted on this site.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Same. I hate the transfer portal with immediate playing time more than anything.
Why? It benefits us more than it hurts. We will have a constant stream of ex-4 star upperclassmen flowing in from Alabama/Georgia/LSU/Texas A&M/Auburn that want more playing time. It's like how JUCO used to be, where a MS JUCO would bring in a P5 transfer then we'd keep them at home. Our advantage now is simply that we are in the SEC, and have the PT to offer. NIL is obviously a concern, but the transfer portal is a net positive.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login