The flyout that ended TCU's season is a HR 97% of the time in MLB

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I saw that earlier. Is that one orange dot on the 4 on the 410 in center field. How could that be a single? Perfect bounce off the wall.

Reactions: onewoof

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I saw that earlier. Is that one orange dot on the 4 on the 410 in center field. How could that be a single? Perfect bounce off the wall.
May have had men in front of him that had to hold up and make sure it wasn’t caught.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
thing is, I think we have all seen better athletic catches than the UF centerfielder made on that play, including 1 this season I can remember by our LF who we just flipped out of the portal

Reactions: patdog

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
If I am reading this graphic correctly, it also shows that that hit is 100% never an out...that def. hurts.

Reactions: onewoof

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
If I am reading this graphic correctly, it also shows that that hit is 100% never an out...that def. hurts.

I didn’t watch the game. Was it just a great play with OF leaping over or flying into the wall? Wind knock it down? Routine catch at the warning track?

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I didn’t watch the game. Was it just a great play with OF leaping over or flying into the wall? Wind knock it down? Routine catch at the warning track?

Here's the play they are calling heroic and one of the "greatest catches ever"

After the CF missed this one earlier in the game

I can't find the video but another catch by the UF CF and he was turned backwards on a normal line drive to CF and had to reach awkwardly to catch it.

kired

Aug 22, 2008

I can't find the video but another catch by the UF CF and he was turned backwards on a normal line drive to CF and had to reach awkwardly to catch it.

The CF who made the 9th inning catch had come in as a pinch runner top of the 9th. Think the original CF had moved over to left.

It was a great catch but he was playing really deep and a few steps over to right field side. It was perfect positioning for no doubles defense - nothing gets over your head, and he was just deep enough that it didn't get over his head.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

So it was basically a “TD Ameritrade claims another one” situation then. Got it.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if the launch angle / velocity of this ball was less than the one the Oregon State guy hit at the end of our game in 2013 that Renfroe easily caught at the track.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I honestly would expect any CF to make that catch. Maybe I'm crazy

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
This is what hurts analytics in my mind. That was a good catch and I would expect most college and all major league centerfielders to make that catch. It just has so much irrelevant data in that analysis. What it shows is that those parameters = an out at that field and since that is where they were playing what would happen at every other park is not relevant.

I played one summer in Alaska. We were at Kenai and played a double header. I hit 6 balls that would have been homeruns. However there was a 20+ mph breeze blowing in and it was 65 degrees. I actually hit 6 flyball outs. I was the only player to hit any balls deep into the outfield that day. The only thing that matters in that situation is the now.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
That was a good catch and I would expect most college and all major league centerfielders to make that catch.

That statement is a better worded way of what I was trying to say. I just can't say that was a "great" catch based on this.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
This is what hurts analytics in my mind. That was a good catch and I would expect most college and all major league centerfielders to make that catch. It just has so much irrelevant data in that analysis. What it shows is that those parameters = an out at that field and since that is where they were playing what would happen at every other park is not relevant.

I played one summer in Alaska. We were at Kenai and played a double header. I hit 6 balls that would have been homeruns. However there was a 20+ mph breeze blowing in and it was 65 degrees. I actually hit 6 flyball outs. I was the only player to hit any balls deep into the outfield that day. The only thing that matters in that situation is the now.
Bruce, you're talking about when baseball was fun to watch. This stadium looks excellent, and the field seems fantastic, but they turned it into a long ball graveyard. I don't know precisely exactly what's going on, but the ball seems never to reach the fence in the power alleys.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Bruce, you're talking about when baseball was fun to watch. This stadium looks excellent, and the field seems fantastic, but they turned it into a long ball graveyard. I don't know precisely exactly what's going on, but the ball seems never to reach the fence in the power alleys.

I kinda disagree. You have to murder the ball to hit it out of the yard…., which means you can’t just hulk your way to a title. The game wasn’t meant to be a giant home run derby to determine the best teams. Well rounded teams who pitch well, have timely hitting, hit for some power when needed, and play good defense should be the ones standing at the end.

CWS is about the last vestige of decent baseball out there in my opinion.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login