the fullback position

B

Bulldoghair

this position seems to be a real concern. we have 2 scholly players, yet walk ons are the front runners. my thoughts on the reason this is a big problem for us has to do with the evolution of the spread in high school football. almost every hs team in my area runs the spread and thus doesnt use a traditional fullback. although in croom offense this is a very important position i look for this to always be an issue because of the lack of fullbacks to recruit in high school. anyone agree?

saddawg

Jun 25, 2006
I also agree that when everybody else goes back to the 'bone, Croom will go to the spread. Seriously, yes, you are right. Although there are still fullback type kids in HS, but lots are playing LB and guard.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I think that's a good point. What I think Croom is going to have to do is find guys that were RB's/TE's in high school and then bulk them up into FB's. I think the benefit of that is you're bringing in players that are used to carrying the ball and catching the ball, but at the same time we are going to have to teach them how to block. A perfect guy for us would have been Bobby Peterson at JA. I think he's walking on at Ole Miss, and probably was an Ole Miss fan growing up.

Although, that said we have found some good ones. Eric Hoskins was going to be a great FB, but I'm not sure that he will ever be the same again after he got hurt in Arkansas. Now that Devon Edwards has some kind of a neck injury, I have no idea if he will ever be able to come back either. Stockett has great size, but I have no idea what kind of player he is, and at any rate he is inexperienced. Hart can be pretty good, but he has to be more consistent. He was great in the LB. I have no idea why he won't step it up all the time. Then I think we are getting a walk-on from DeSoto Central named West Almond, who will be a little bit of a project. I know Arnil Stallworth switched to FB, but he seems small for a FB.</p>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login