The Lahaina , Hawaii fire

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Went to Lahaina about 28 years ago. Maui was one of the few vacation destinations that I think I would have stayed permanently and not come back home if I could have afforded it.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Went to Lahaina about 28 years ago. Maui was one of the few vacation destinations that I think I would have stayed permanently and not come back home if I could have afforded it.
I'm with you on that. Wonderful place! My buddy in Florida had a cousin there and we visited him during our visit. He used to own one of the restaurants on the water but he had retired before we got there. He had a great life story, rags to riches. We loved everything about Lahaina. It wasn't as touristy as most of the places we visited in Hawaii.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It’s our fault. We are scheduled for a 10 day trip to Hawaii in late October and supposed to spend 4 days on Maui. We went to Alaska last year and both got Covid. Turned into the trip from hell. Apparently we are bad luck or something?

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
"You can leave it all behind
Sail to Lahaina
Just like the missionaries did
So many years ago"

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I have recommended "Warren & Annabelle's" to hundreds of people over the years. It's a magic dinner theatre in Lahaina. An amazing venue.

Well, it was. Warren shared yesterday that it's gone.

Another friend lost his condo and is back in Michigan trying to figure out if he'll ever go back.

A high-school friend is stuck over there -- the golf course she was supposed to play on this week is gone and she was actually trapped and had to be evacuated. Trying to figure a way back to Mississippi.

Dozens of people killed. Tragic.

I did read that the old banyan tree may actually survive.

Just a terrible set of circumstances all around.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Only been once - stayed in Kaanapali but went down to Front Street every afternoon.
Hate to see the devastation in that area.
The Road to Hana - damn what a memorable trip that was and the early morning drive up to Haleakala was pretty amazing as well.

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
I have recommended "Warren & Annabelle's" to hundreds of people over the years. It's a magic dinner theatre in Lahaina. An amazing venue.

Well, it was. Warren shared yesterday that it's gone.

Another friend lost his condo and is back in Michigan trying to figure out if he'll ever go back.

A high-school friend is stuck over there -- the golf course she was supposed to play on this week is gone and she was actually trapped and had to be evacuated. Trying to figure a way back to Mississippi.

Dozens of people killed. Tragic.

I did read that the old banyan tree may actually survive.

Just a terrible set of circumstances all around.
Warren and Annabelle’s was the funniest and cleanest comedy show I have ever seen.

Reactions: MagicDawg

macdaddydawg

Sep 29, 2022
We spent 8 days on Maui last summer and stayed in Kaanapali but ate, shopped and marveled at the Banyan tree in Lahaina. Met so many nice hard working people. This devastation looks like Katrina. I pray for resilience!

Reactions: Ranchdawg

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
I went there in 1995 post Ironman and stayed in that village. Crazy to think it is completely gone.
I noticed there were fires on the Big Island too, wonder if Kona (Ironman World Championships host city) is affected.
Did they ever determine the cause of the fires? Winds from hurricane and power lines just doesn't jive. Not at that level on a tropical island. It rains on those islands every evening, like clockwork.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I went there in 1995 post Ironman and stayed in that village. Crazy to think it is completely gone.
I noticed there were fires on the Big Island too, wonder if Kona (Ironman World Championships host city) is affected.
Did they ever determine the cause of the fires? Winds from hurricane and power lines just doesn't jive. Not at that level on a tropical island. It rains on those islands every evening, like clockwork.
It’s the dry season there so it’s not out of the ordinary to be dry especially on that side of the island. We stayed there in 2012 in that town and I’m just at a loss of words looking at the devastation.

The other issue there especially on Maui is an invasive grass from the mainland that dries out much worse than the native grasses. It’s the perfect fuel for a fire like that and you combine it with those winds and it becomes catastrophic.

Reactions: She Mate Me

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Maui and Lahaina was a special 3 day side trip for my wife and I back in 2009 when the MSU baseball team traveled to Oahu to take on the Rainbow Warriors in a 4 game series. I imagine some of you were there as well. Maui wasn't on the schedule, but we added it and a couple days on the Big Island also. I bought a nice sun dress for my wife in downtown Lahaina among the harbor area outdoor shoppes. I don't think they are there any more. Neither is my hotel which was on the beach. Hard to fathom that type of fire in paradise with all the beauty up against the West Maui Mountain Range. So sad to know many residents died of smoke inhalation before they could even determine what the danger was. Many could not even make it to the water to jump in and save themselves. Happened so fast.....within a matter of a few minutes. That was John Cohen's first year as head coach and he initially did not want to take his team on that trip. Felt it was too big a distraction in his effort to turn the program in the direction he wanted. With all the money and deposits received, he really had no choice....... or to make a bunch of supporters mad at him. I hope Lemonis can turn it around and later take a return trip to the islands and play a little better than Cohen's team did. Prayers sent to all the Maui and Hawaiin island residents. God be with you in this horrific disaster.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Think about how boats could spray water from the ocean to the island. Hopefully they add several dozen to a fleet after this

Belegal

Dec 5, 2015
Pilgrim- wife & I scheduled to go to Hawaii Oct 21 with Terry Smith group out of Tupelo- are you a part of that group? Do you plan to try & still go? I would direct message you but don’t know how - getting old!!

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
D. E. W. Very similar to what happened in Nashville, but Rods of God I believe, on Christmas Day when the CIA’s underground comm center was taken out. There’s pics floating around of the D. E. W. starting the fire in HI.

Reactions: Belegal

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
D. E. W. Very similar to what happened in Nashville, but Rods of God I believe, on Christmas Day when the CIA’s underground comm center was taken out. There’s pics floating around of the D. E. W. starting the fire in HI.

WTF are you talking about?

Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
@57stratdawg

It’s just really frustrating and heartbreaking to see that some things could have been done,’ says author of 2014 report

Smoke and flames filled the air on Lahaina’s touristy Front Street on Maui on Tuesday. ALAN DICKAR/ASSOCIATED PRESS

By Dan FroschFollow

and Jim CarltonFollow

Updated Aug. 12,

Nearly a decade before a wildfire destroyed the coastal Maui town of Lahaina this week, killing at least 80 people, a report by Hawaiian fire researchers warned that the area was at extremely high risk of burning.

Another report, in 2020, tied fires to winds from a passing hurricane—similar to the ones that fanned the Lahaina blaze.

And the state’s electric utility had for years worried about wildfire risk in the area. It even flew drones to monitor conditions.

Yet local authorities said in the aftermath of this week’s devastation that though they knew wildfires were becoming more frequent in Hawaii, they weren’t prepared for one to roar through Lahaina.

The fire hit the coastal town so quickly and caught officials so off-guard that emergency sirens didn’t sound. Many panicked residents were unable to flee on the town’s one clogged highway and took boats or swam to safety, if they were able to escape at all.

In 2014, a wildfire-protection plan for the area was written by the Hawaii Wildfire Management Organization, a nonprofit that works with government agencies. It warned that Lahaina was among Maui’s most fire-prone areas because of its proximity to parched grasslands, steep terrain and frequent winds.

The plan, which involved Maui and state officials, laid out a multitude of mitigation measures that needed to be undertaken to shield the area around Lahaina from fires. They included thinning vegetation near populated areas, improving wildfire-response capabilities and working with landowners and utilities to help reduce fire risk on their property.

Some of the recommendations from the 2014 plan, which was devised after more than a half-dozen community meetings, were implemented, like brush thinning efforts and public education for landowners, said the report’s lead author, Elizabeth Pickett. But others, such as ramping up emergency-response capacity, have been stymied by a lack of funding, logistical hurdles in rugged terrain and competing priorities, said Pickett, co-executive director of the wildfire nonprofit.

“We’ve been hammering this home, and it’s just really frustrating and heartbreaking to see that some things could have been done, but we couldn’t find money,” she said. “We are living through what happens when there’s a lag and everyone’s still catching up.”

Representatives for the Hawaii state and Maui county governments didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Asked at a press conference Thursday why the state wasn’t more prepared, Hawaii Gov. Josh Green said, “We’ve never experienced a wildfire that affected a city like this before.”

He said officials were particularly surprised that Hurricane Dora, which passed by Hawaii this week, caused winds as strong as 60 miles an hour, driving the blaze into Lahaina faster than emergency responders and residents could keep up.

This was, of course, a shock to see a hurricane and its winds and trade winds cause collateral damage, which was the spread of fire,” he said.

But that risk was known too.

The fire danger from passing hurricanes in Hawaii was documented in a 2020 report by researchers at the University of Hawaii and the East-West Center, which tied a 2018 outbreak of fires on both Maui and Oahu to winds from Hurricane Lane.

Like Hurricane Dora, Hurricane Lane passed the islands to the south, but sparked four fires—three on West Maui and one on Oahu—which blackened about 3,000 acres.

Over the past decade, an average of 20,000 acres have burned annually in Hawaii, more than quadruple the pace from a century ago, according to the Pacific Fire Exchange, a wildfire research group.

One of the main causes has been the proliferation of non-native grass and shrubs, the group said.

The researchers in the 2020 hurricane report said the fires tied to Lane ignited in areas dominated by non-native grasses, which are exceptionally flammable and have proliferated in recent years, now covering one-quarter of the state.

Non-native grasses blanketed the sloped terrain around Lahaina.

Jennifer Potter, a former state public utility commissioner who lives on Maui, said she began hearing growing concern from community members about fire activity on the island beginning in 2019. That same year, Hawaiian Electric, the state’s main utility, said it would fly drones over areas including West Maui to identify utility lines prone to wildfires.

Documents show Hawaiian Electric submitted a request for funding in 2022 from the public utilities commission to help offset the $189.7 million it said it needed to bolster its power grid across the state, including wildfire-prevention measures. The request is still being processed.

A spokesman for the utility didn’t respond to requests for comment.

“There was absolutely knowledge within the state and within the electric industry that fire was a huge, huge concern on the island of Maui, and even more so than any of the other islands,” Potter said. “I don’t think it’s fair to say we’ve never seen this coming.”

Residents of Lahaina said they didn’t see the fire coming just hours before it reached their town Tuesday.

Around 9 a.m. local time that day, Maui officials said the wildfire outside Lahaina had been 100% contained. By midafternoon, however, it had grown out of control, driven by winds as strong as 60 miles an hour.

Maui Fire Chief Brad Ventura said at the Thursday press conference that the speed of the blaze made it difficult for officials to warn residents of the dangers.

“The fire that day moved so quickly, that from where it started in the brush to where it moved into the neighborhood, communications back to those who make [emergency] notifications were physically nearly impossible,” he said.

Some Lahaina residents said they received emergency alerts, but many didn’t. The fire disabled cellular service in the city, as well as power and water.

Hawaii has what it says is one of the world’s largest siren systems to warn people of all kinds of events, including wildfires and hurricanes. Maui County has 80. State records don’t indicate that the sirens sounded in Lahaina, according to the Associated Press.

“Normally there’d be, like, a hurricane siren or something. None of that stuff went off,” said Kevin Campbell, who escaped Lahaina with his pregnant wife, Tasha.

When he tried to persuade friends to leave, he said, some argued that it was pointless for them to go. The single-lane Honoapi’ilani Highway, the main road out of town, was jammed with cars. Portions of it were closed because of downed power lines from the earlier windstorms.

Some residents and tourists abandoned their gridlocked cars on foot, while others rammed vehicles through gates, fled by boat, or waited out the fire in the ocean, witnesses said.

“It was so damn fast, by the time I realized, it was like a rainstorm of red sparks going sideways,” said Jo Ann Hayashi, who spent hours wading in the water of Lahaina Harbor to escape the flames.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Sounds like a downed power line might have caused this. I’ve never understood why electric utilities keep the power on up until failure during hurricanes. I get the desire to keep hospitals on as long as possible, but the chance of almost total outages approaches 100% during a hurricane. Seems like a scheduled shutdown as conditions reach tropical storm conditions would be overall much safer for everyone.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Ok, I think I get where you are going with this.
Found this: HERE

Seems similar to the beginning of the fires in Canada. Various locations just promptly started burning over thousands of acres leading to millions of acres destroyed. Up in Smoke

Not saying I agree with the conspiracy theories, but it is very interesting.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login