The Mike Leach haters need to chill

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
No coach is perfect by any means, but some of you would burn the program down and start over twice a year if you were in charge.

We have a good stable program. We had a bad game where everything that could go the other team's way pretty much did. Our gameplan on D was poor to not sell out to stop the run, but to act like Mike Leach has no idea what he's doing is just ridiculous.

We're in the hardest conference in the history of college football and he's come in here and has had as much early success as any other coach we've had and we're clearly ascending. Have you guys not seen Sawyer Robertson? That guy is about to be amazing. Chris Parson in this year's signing class looks to be a stud too. We're always going to be tough as well.

It's year 3 and things are pretty good. It's life in the SEC. Frustating as hell of a loss, but UK is not a garbage football team.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It's year three and things are good? LOL
It's year three and nothing has changed is what you really mean.
Do you really think we are not in a better place than where we were in Leach started? I would likely agree with you that leach is not going to raise the bar from where Mullen had it but he stopped our program from the slide Joe had it on. After the LSU game, several on this board had us 0-3 in the last 3 games we played. It’s ok to be pissed about the game last night but don’t act like we got Croom as the head coach again.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I’ve been one that has been on Leach’s side the past 3 years and have defended him saying he needs his guys and time and it will work. I really thought he could elevate the program from just winning 6-7 games to 8-9 with a special year every couple of years. I’m starting to waver on him elevating the program. It looks like we will go 7-5 again this year. Next year he will have the schedule and the team to have a great year and he needs to go 9-3 next year

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Do you really think we are not in a better place than where we were in Leach started? I would likely agree with you that leach is not going to raise the bar from where Mullen had it but he stopped our program from the slide Joe had it on. After the LSU game, several on this board had us 0-3 in the last 3 games we played. It’s ok to be pissed about the game last night but don’t act like we got Croom as the head coach again.
I think we're exactly like last year except we played two teams that had no QB, and poor defensive schemes, one of which turned it over inside our 30 a couple times. We haven't stopped the run nearly as well, nor do we have a pass rush. We returned the whole team basically and it's the same as last year. Will is missing wide open guys still. OL blocking is confused a lot still. Penalties are still a problem.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

We're certainly not any worse off, but the idea that we're in a definitively better place overall is at least debatable. I was no huge fan of Moorehead, and it drove me nuts when he refused to put together an offensive scheme that catered towards Fitz in 2018. That said, a lot of posters sure are quick to crucify him over a 6-7 2019 season in which he was mostly starting a true freshman QB, but then turn around and talk about how many years Leach needs to get his air raid fully installed.

Either way, I need to see the rest of this season play out before making a call one way or another, but if it turns out the way I'm expecting... i.e. 8-5 or 7-6 depending upon whether we actually decide to show up for the bowl game this year or not, that's pretty much just maintaining the Mullen/Moorhead status quo as far as I'm concerned. Nothing more, nothing less

Reactions: patdog

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I am proud Will Rogers is a Bulldog and think he's a fine young man. He's the kind guy who will do well in life and make some lucky young lady a great husband and father to their children. Having said that , Leach is a "system" coach and when teams defend his "system" well we need a QB who can make things happen outside the system...Will is just not that guy. ALSO I know I know Leach should make adjustments but those adjustments will simply be within the "system's" playbook. Leach is exactly the guy we hired and complaints should be aimed at the employer who hired him and not the employee who's doing what he was hired to do IMO. Fire away .

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
I am proud Will Rogers is a Bulldog and think he's a fine young man. He's the kind guy who will do well in life and make some lucky young lady a great husband and father to their children. Having said that , Leach is a "system" coach and when teams defend his "system" well we need a QB who can make things happen outside the system...Will is just not that guy. ALSO I know I know Leach should make adjustments but those adjustments will simply be within the "system's" playbook. Leach is exactly the guy we hired and complaints should be aimed at the employer who hired him and not the employee who's doing what he was hired to do IMO. Fire away .
Unfortunately, deaf ears at the top.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We're certainly not any worse off, but the idea that we're in a definitively better place overall is at least debatable. I was no huge fan of Moorehead, and it drove me nuts when he refused to put together an offensive scheme that catered towards Fitz in 2018. That said, a lot of posters sure are quick to crucify him over a 6-7 2019 season in which he was mostly starting a true freshman QB, but then turn around and talk about how many years Leach needs to get his air raid fully installed.

Either way, I need to see the rest of this season play out before making a call one way or another, but if it turns out the way I'm expecting... i.e. 8-5 or 7-6 depending upon whether we actually decide to show up for the bowl game this year or not, that's pretty much just maintaining the Mullen/Moorhead status quo as far as I'm concerned. Nothing more, nothing less
No….it’s not debatable.

It’s times like this where you really find out which posters actually know up from down.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Disagree regarding Moorhead. Things were trending in a bad direction. I don’t care what recruiting rankings say, joe’s classes were terrible. Very few did anything for state. The discipline was terrible. Leach didn’t even remotely take over the same level of program that Joe did.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012

The win loss record with Morehead was only one part of the story. He had completely lost control of the team. There were reports of players showing up late for practice and meetings with no consequences. And it came to a head with our starting QB getting his jaw broken by our starting LB. If Morehead had stayed, the next year would’ve been a disaster and the program would have gone into steep decline.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I thought that it was a mistake when we hired Leach and I still feel that way. I never thought that his system had any chance of ever having real success in the big, fast, physical, SEC. I also felt like we were just the final short termer program on the way to retirement. I don’t see much in the way of desire and full focus for success. When games don’t go good ( like last night ) he just seems to exude that “oh well” attitude both during and after the game. He seems more interested in being seen as quirky and oddly philosophical than demonstrating the focus that someone making roughly $5M should show. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I feel like he is just milking us for a few extra million on the way out the coaching door. State and Alabama both lost yesterday. Which program do you think is doing the most right now to fix what went wrong yesterday? That’s what I thought. Teams tend in take on the personality of their Coach. In our case do you see that as an encouraging factor for us? Me neither. I hope I am wrong on all accounts. I want to be wrong. I want us to be successful. I just think an incomplete system and mediocre effort produces less then stellar results in Coaching and almost any other endeavor.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Disagree regarding Moorhead. Things were trending in a bad direction. I don’t care what recruiting rankings say, joe’s classes were terrible. Very few did anything for state. The discipline was terrible. Leach didn’t even remotely take over the same level of program that Joe did.
The fan base has a short term memory on this. Moorhead's tenure was dubious from the moment he first took the podium. You could see he didn't fit and quickly proved he wasn't ready to be an HC in the SEC.

Leach's hire wasn't so much about Leach, as much as it was to "stop the bleeding"...plus ot was as safe a hire as you could get given who was out there

Reactions: 3000lbchicken

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Leach’s culture cleansing is indisputable. I’ll give you that.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I think we're exactly like last year except we played two teams that had no QB, and poor defensive schemes, one of which turned it over inside our 30 a couple times. We haven't stopped the run nearly as well, nor do we have a pass rush. We returned the whole team basically and it's the same as last year. Will is missing wide open guys still. OL blocking is confused a lot still. Penalties are still a problem.
The defense just isn’t geared to do what Arnett wants to do. We need at least two of Forbes and two flexible safeties plus five excellent LBs. The guys get singled up a lot because of the aggressive defense and they get exposed. Recruiting on defense has to get better. The offensive recruiting is coming along.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006
No coach is perfect by any means, but some of you would burn the program down and start over twice a year if you were in charge.

We have a good stable program. We had a bad game where everything that could go the other team's way pretty much did. Our gameplan on D was poor to not sell out to stop the run, but to act like Mike Leach has no idea what he's doing is just ridiculous.

We're in the hardest conference in the history of college football and he's come in here and has had as much early success as any other coach we've had and we're clearly ascending. Have you guys not seen Sawyer Robertson? That guy is about to be amazing. Chris Parson in this year's signing class looks to be a stud too. We're always going to be tough as well.

It's year 3 and things are pretty good. It's life in the SEC. Frustating as hell of a loss, but UK is not a garbage football team.
Our gameplan on D was poor? We gave up 1, 2, 3? points the first half. Our gameplan on offense was ****.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The defense just isn’t geared to do what Arnett wants to do. We need at least two of Forbes and two flexible safeties plus five excellent LBs. The guys get singled up a lot because of the aggressive defense and they get exposed. Recruiting on defense has to get better. The offensive recruiting is coming along.
We also need some beast playing on the line in a 3 man front. We won't hsve a Simmons or sweat. Or even close to that. That's why we get exposed.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login