The most amazing, convoluted SEC football career that never was

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
My dad was highly recruited by State and Ole Miss in the mid 1950s. He was personally signed by Wade Walker as the first signee of the class. The story of his recruitment visit to Ole Miss and the Egg Bowl is fascinating and will delight many State fans.

Unfortunately, the call of military academy recruiters lured him away from Starkville. Twice. With lifelong regret.

Last July, my brother and I spent about 50 minutes talking to my dad about his college football recruitment experience.

He had one of most convoluted recruiting experiences you could imagine. Raised in poor, at times abusive environment. Took responsibility for his family at an early age despite disadvantaged circumstances. Top recruit for Mississippi State, and for Ole Miss, but never played at either. Why?

Here's the story. Enjoy.

I wish I knew a way to get him an honorary jersey of some kind. Bench pass. Something. He has spent the last 70 years cheering like crazy for the school that loved him more than he was mature enough to realize in his complicated youth.

#collegefootball #MississippiState #Mississippi #football #recruiting

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I know it's long. But there are interesting firsthand experiences about being recruited on campus at OM.

Listen to the story of how he rode to Starkville on the bus with the OM team, then arrived on campus and was taken to Coach Walker's office. Walker wanted to talk to him privately on gameday. Gave him a sideline pass for State. He decided to sit on the State sideline. He gave his sideline pass for OM to a friend of his who had climbed a tree by the south end zone! He did not ride the bus back to Oxford. :D

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login