The most frustrating thing about this baseball situation

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
is how it just came out of absolutely nowhere. I mean, who could have imagined that after two years of inept pitching that we’d be giving up 9 runs in midweek games? Who could’ve thought that after being one of the worst defensive teams in this program’s history last year, we’d be starting the season with multi-error games? Who could’ve guessed that after missing Hoover in consecutive years, we’d be fighting for the bottom of the barrel again?

Sure, last year’s roster had more holes than a block of Swiss cheese, but didn’t we think that going out and grabbing a couple G5 players plus a Miami kid that spent the last year injured would fix all that?

I just can’t wrap my head around this, guys. I really can’t. Cheers to all that supported another year of this

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Does our staff just go into 9th innings and just say “17 it, lose if ya want to”?

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Holy ****, what was that? Are we already out of pitchers?

Maroon Pug

Nov 5, 2022
I still do not understand the mentality of letting your RH submarine pitcher throw to 3 straight LH batters... what did you expect to happen?

Reactions: patdog

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's pretty obvious that Austin Peay is a better hitting team than we are.

I would say this is going to be a long season, but it won't be for me. I'm checking out.

I'm amazed they are this bad.

Reactions: Maroon13

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
I think its more than just players. I think we have talent on this team. Lemonis just hasn't got what it takes. We shoulda fired him last year. I would be happy if they can his a$$ tonight.
I think it can be both. I agree that we have some talent, but not nearly enough from top to bottom to even be discussing a regional hosting spot, much less Omaha.

We’ve allowed Lemonis to destroy this program, and delaying the inevitable last year now means that the next guy will be faced with a 2 year rebuild, minimum. It really was just an inexplicable decision to bring him back

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
We gave up 16 hits!
This isn’t to LSU or Florida.
It’s 17-ing Austin Peay.
16 hits.
Lemonis needs to have a For Sale sign in his yard TONIGHT.
He’s run our program into the ground!
I j kw he can’t pitch and hit for the guys but these are all his players now and either they suck, he couldn’t coach a little league team or a combo of the two.
I think it’s both.
He needs to be gone tonight!

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Austin Peay has more talent than we do. Lemonis won over 50 games two years in a row and a Natty with talent recruited by someone else. There isn't much talent beyond 4 players on this team.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The decision not to fire him pretty much showed me that our higher ups have no 17’n clue what they are doing.
This is an ignorant statement. Did you really expect Selmon to fire someone who was less than 2 years removed from winning the schools only national title? Selmon was just hired in January’23. It would have cost a ton of money to can Lemonis last year in a sport that doesn’t bring in revenue.

Selmon will fire him this year and make a good hire. MSU baseball will be fine. You can still sit in the LFL and touch yourself with the rest of the baseball bros

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
This is an ignorant statement. Did you really expect Selmon to fire someone who was less than 2 years removed from winning the schools only national title? Selmon was just hired in January’23. It would have cost a ton of money to can Lemonis last year in a sport that doesn’t bring in revenue.

Selmon will fire him this year and make a good hire. MSU baseball will be fine. You can still sit in the LFL and touch yourself with the rest of the baseball bros
Yes , I did. Did you watch us play baseball last year?

Reactions: Mjoelner and patdog

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I did. But saying our higher ups don’t know what they are doing because they didn’t fire a baseball coach is a 17ing embarrassing statement. But it’s a very MSU thing to say.
Hide and watch the ramifications of that non-decision.

Our program is and has been an embarrassment.

The dude hadn’t produced for 2 years. We finished last or next to last each year. It was obvious that it was time to make a change. We now get to watch this **** for 3 more months. Enjoy.

Dec 19, 2023

YES!

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
What is crazy is we went to Omaha then followed that with championship then asss since. Makes no sense. Like he just forgot how to coach and couldn't get anything out of the players after

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
is how it just came out of absolutely nowhere. I mean, who could have imagined that after two years of inept pitching that we’d be giving up 9 runs in midweek games? Who could’ve thought that after being one of the worst defensive teams in this program’s history last year, we’d be starting the season with multi-error games? Who could’ve guessed that after missing Hoover in consecutive years, we’d be fighting for the bottom of the barrel again?

Sure, last year’s roster had more holes than a block of Swiss cheese, but didn’t we think that going out and grabbing a couple G5 players plus a Miami kid that spent the last year injured would fix all that?

I just can’t wrap my head around this, guys. I really can’t. Cheers to all that supported another year of this
Falling Down Oops GIF by Minnesota State University Moorhead

Oct 17, 2023
I’m with you, one of the dumbest administrative decisions I can recall. He should have been fired last March.

This program will be starting from scratch. The re-build was just delayed a year.

You are wrong. We will have to build up to scratch.

Oct 17, 2023
I still do not understand the mentality of letting your RH submarine pitcher throw to 3 straight LH batters... what did you expect to happen?

Since it is something that you shouldn't do, he thought it would surprise and confuse them so that it would work.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Hide and watch the ramifications of that non-decision.

Our program is and has been an embarrassment.

The dude hadn’t produced for 2 years. We finished last or next to last each year. It was obvious that it was time to make a change. We now get to watch this **** for 3 more months. Enjoy.
You’re completely missing the point. Selmon and the “higher ups” aren’t going to be judged on the baseball program. Selmon’s tenure will depend on the success of Jeff Lebby and our football program’s success during this new NIL/expanded playoff format. That’s pretty much it. Sure, he also needs to do his best to keep momentum going with men’s basketball.

John Cohen was leading the athletic department when MSU won the school’s only national championship and yet his name is tarnished for how he handled the football program while he was here. He did his best to try and undermine the two revenue and ‘important’ sports at an SEC institution (football & MBB) while his dumbass tried his best to elevate baseball as the prominent sport. (For example, when the NIL began he only started an NIL fundraising initiative for baseball). Well on one hand you can look at like we completely sold our for that national championship, but we sacrificed other sports like football, where we are still trying to pick up the pieces from the mess he left.

Point is, our baseball fans can get all emotional and say “the higher ups don’t know what they’re doing!!” about the athletic department not doing this or that, or firing Lemonis, but ultimately MSU baseball is a top 10 program and will make a good hire when the time comes. Dudy Noble will continue to set record crowds and the fanbase will show up, it’s a part of the dna of who we are. Just don’t mistake any meaningful legacies or athletic department personnel being tied to the success of baseball because 1) we’ve built facilities and made our investment in the baseball program, it’s not going to fade away 2) it’s just not as important to the success of the athletic department as our fanbase wants it to be. 3) a simple question you need to ask yourself is in 3 years if football is thriving and baseball is suffering will Selmon have a job? Undoubtedly, yes. If it’s the opposite, will he? That’s a tougher question to answer

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login