The Official “I could see VMI making some noise this year” Reaction Thread

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We said the same thing about Long Beach last season, but I don't think they made any noise.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Sadly, I'm normally able to quickly write off a single bad game, but I'm afraid this game simply exposed a large number of very large deficiencies in this team.

I hope I'm very wrong.

skydawg1

Jul 31, 2007
#2 ranked Tennessee is 0-2. So.....worst opening weekend goes to UT, not us. Whew!! (Hogs also down 8-4 in the sixt)

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
We said the same thing about Long Beach last season, but I don't think they made any noise.
Long Beach was a whole hell of a lot better than VMI. Losing to the Dirtbags is somewhat understandable, although losing 2 to them at home shouldn't have happened. Talent wise, Long Beach vs VMI is like a Junior College is to T-Ball

Reactions: 60sdog

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
So Saturday we were at the point of almost run ruling them to losing the game. Am i right?

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
We better hope our starting pitching transfer from Memphis State can throw strikes today and be consistent this season.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Did we even practice fielding, like really practice it? I think if we did we just went through the motions from what I'm seeing

I think we spent 95% of the time in the batting cage

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
What is Foxhall doing in Fall ball? This is a mystery to me that we are not ready to pitch. 13 runs is plenty of offense. This one is on you Foxy!

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
VMI will make noise against bottom feeder teams. Proved that today.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
How much money did we spend on The New Dude? How much do we pay Lemonis and staff? That’s a lot of money to suck in year 5.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Pitching is obviously going to be a work in progress (at best) for the time being…..there’s no single solution there yet. But the most obvious problem that needs to be fixed immediately is catcher. 11 stolen bases in a game can’t happen at any level above little league.

We need to platoon DH Chance and Hancock, and try Highfill or anyone else at catcher who can throw out baserunners. Don’t really care how badly they hit. As bad as we pitched yesterday, we still win if the walks didn’t automatically turn into doubles.

Reactions: She Mate Me

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Pitching is obviously going to be a work in progress (at best) for the time being…..there’s no single solution there yet. But the most obvious problem that needs to be fixed immediately is catcher. 11 stolen bases in a game can’t happen at any level above little league.

We need to platoon DH Chance and Hancock, and try Highfill or anyone else at catcher who can throw out baserunners. Don’t really care how badly they hit. As bad as we pitched yesterday, we still win if the walks didn’t automatically turn into doubles.
Yeah, 11 stolen bases is no bueno. That's a nine year old USSSA baseball stat line.

Reactions: onewoof

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Yeah, 11 stolen bases is no bueno. That's a nine year old USSSA baseball stat line.

And we will face MUCH better running teams, and much better coaching than VMI.

It's an unbelievable stat. How can you not know your catcher is an absolute no go in terms of holding runners??

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Grumpy Cat GIF

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
And we will face MUCH better running teams, and much better coaching than VMI.

It's an unbelievable stat. How can you not know your catcher is an absolute no go in terms of holding runners??

I think the coaching staff knew. Probably just one of those deals where you give the 5th year senior captain a shot before the true freshmen just out of respect. It lasted all of 2 games it seems like.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I think the coaching staff knew. Probably just one of those deals where you give the 5th year senior captain a shot before the true freshmen just out of respect. It lasted all of 2 games it seems like.

I could see this being true.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe. But they sure didn’t do him any favors by putting him in a situation they had to know he couldn’t succeed in. He’s a good player, but he’s not a catcher.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe. But they sure didn’t do him any favors by putting him in a situation they had to know he couldn’t succeed in. He’s a good player, but he’s not a catcher.

Well, against VMI, it honestly shouldn’t have mattered. Plenty of opportunities were blown elsewhere, too. And Highfill really may not be ready, either, guess we’ll see. But if he can hit .200 and throw out 40-50% of runners, he has to play every day. But he might not be able to do that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login