The problem I have with this offense is…

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
It seems like it requires complete perfection to work correctly. Our play calling also seems extremely predictable. Everyone in Baton Rouge knew when we were going to run it. I did like how we ran that bubble screen behind the blitz but I only remember seeing it once. How many teams can play at peak perfection for 4 quarters?

Also, with such a ball control offense it puts a ton of emphasis on the offense to come away with points on every drive. This will cause even more problems against tempo offenses.

What are the rest of the packs thoughts on this? I’m not bashing at all, just pointing out a few things I noticed as an arm chair coach.

(My username is not a knock at CML btw)

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
You have to have everyone executing when you run an offense with nothing to keep
the defense off balance that has been the same for 30 years.

Capt Croom

Sep 18, 2022
You have to have everyone executing when you run an offense with nothing to keep
the defense off balance that has been the same for 30 years.

Even our running plays didn’t offer any real threat. LSU brought pressure it seemed like every play and it shown.

Aug 8, 2022
Those passes are hard to catch when they hit you in the hands..........we catch those crossing routes throughout the game and things are different.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
The only disagreement I have is that I don’t think there’s pressure on Leach’s air raid to score on every drive or even most possessions. Here’s what can’t happen, though. After our opening TD on Saturday…

Drive 2: 4 plays, 8 yds, TO on downs
Drive 3: 4 plays, 9 yds, TO on downs
Drive 4: 6 plays, 20 yds
Drive 5: 6 plays, -2 yds

That’s 35 total yards on our next four drives, including two turnovers thanks to poor 4th down play calls that never had a chance.

So again, we cannot seem to help ourselves from going through these long lulls on offense when we play decent teams, and say what you want, but I think just one more first half TD would’ve broken LSU’s spirit Sat night. Unfortunately, we couldn’t get it done, so instead of being up 20-0 at the half and getting the ball back, it was a much closer 13-7 contest, and LSU had the momentum. One thing that Leach got right is that this offense just isn’t consistent, and it’s hard for it to be consistent against a good defense when they know exactly what you’re going to run 80% of the time.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
We run 5 plays. When they don't work, the only answer is to run those 5 plays better.
Then, when your QB can't even check to the right play or checks to the same play over and over because you only have 5 plays, it's easy to defend by teams with good athletes on defense.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
It seems to me that every time we play a team with a strong defense, they end up pinning their ears back and coming for us the entire second half. We never seem to have an answer for that. Our offensive line is solid but they can't block 7 guys. A mobile QB that could roll right or left to buy more time is the only option to continue executing our offense (passing downfield) in that situation. I'm not sure why the screen or dump pass doesn't work well to counter the second half blitz but it just doesn't for some reason.

Ole Miss did this to us last year, LSU this year, the list goes on.

GhostOfJackie

Apr 20, 2009
Those passes are hard to catch when they hit you in the hands..........we catch those crossing routes throughout the game and things are different.

Are they? We dropped what 3-4 crossing routes all game? I don't think those 3-4 catches for anywhere from 5-12 yards each would have made a big difference when they are bringing 7 the entire second half. We're just not going to move the ball against good defenses unless they have boneheaded coaches.

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
I mean thinking back to texas tech when it was running like clockwork, it seems like the ball was gone most times around 3 seconds or under. It was quicker pace from play to play, I realize you have to adjust that some in the SEC to control clock. When will doesn’t throw it within 4 seconds we’re 17ed.

It doesn’t seem like our guys are testing people deep to stretch it some, and get the safeties out of there. I think will is as competent as any of those tech qb’s, it’s just not running right at this point. We seem to do much better when it’s more up tempo, but we don’t do that much.

Agree with hadad that you have to get your 4 best receivers out there at the same time. do I think he will do that…..nope.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
It seems to me that every time we play a team with a strong defense, they end up pinning their ears back and coming for us the entire second half. We never seem to have an answer for that. Our offensive line is solid but they can't block 7 guys. A mobile QB that could roll right or left to buy more time is the only option to continue executing our offense (passing downfield) in that situation. I'm not sure why the screen or dump pass doesn't work well to counter the second half blitz but it just doesn't for some reason.

Ole Miss did this to us last year, LSU this year, the list goes on.

I respectfully disagree. Kam Jones got whipped alot. Didn't notice if Albert Reese or Percy Lewis got in, but it's hard to believe if they didn't.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I mean thinking back to texas tech when it was running like clockwork, it seems like the ball was gone most times around 3 seconds or under. It was quicker pace from play to play, I realize you have to adjust that some in the SEC to control clock. When will doesn’t throw it within 4 seconds we’re 17ed.

It doesn’t seem like our guys are testing people deep to stretch it some, and get the safeties out of there. I think will is as competent as any of those tech qb’s, it’s just not running right at this point. We seem to do much better when it’s more up tempo, but we don’t do that much.

Agree with hadad that you have to get your 4 best receivers out there at the same time. do I think he will do that…..nope.

This the biggest issue. Our OLine will never be able to block the top half of the SEC defenses. For whatever reason, Will/the offense, can't/or won't get the ball downfield quickly. If this can't be corrected by the TAMU game, it's going to be a long year.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We do a poor job of getting snaps for our playmakers, much less getting them the ball. But hey, the 3rd string guys have a lot of targets.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
It seems like it requires complete perfection to work correctly. Our play calling also seems extremely predictable
btw)

Against teams as athletic as LSU, yes. There was no WR separation on most plays v LSU. On one long 3rd conversion in the 2ndQ. The scoring drive I believe. Will had a blitzer in his face and had to release the ball way early. He threw the ball well before the WR even made his break. The ball was exactly where it needed to be and WR got his head around at the last second to grab it. Other times in the game, Will was under so much pressure the timing was off just slightly and the wr didn't get his head around or the ball wasn't quite where the wr was or the DB just had us blanketed.

Anyways.... you get the idea. I agree.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Are they? We dropped what 3-4 crossing routes all game? I don't think those 3-4 catches for anywhere from 5-12 yards each would have made a big difference when they are bringing 7 the entire second half. We're just not going to move the ball against good defenses unless they have boneheaded coaches.
It was sarcasm, and yes, those 3-4 catches would have meant a good bit.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

Bingo. When Will gets to looking all over the place, and doing those 'fakes' or whatever it is he does, we get in trouble (against good defenses).

That said, easier said than done when the WRs aren't open and the defense is whipping your line.

Aug 8, 2022
It was sarcasm, and yes, those 3-4 catches would have meant a good bit.

The plays i'm thinking of were ones where there was nothing but green grass in front of them. 100% game changers. Hopefully Rogers picks up his guys and they don't grow frustrated with one another.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It seems like it requires complete perfection to work correctly

Isn't this the case with any offense regardless of scheme, when they are facing a more talented defense? Really the only thing that helps even it out is when you have a guy like Dak or Fitz that can make something happen with his legs when everything else doesn't work.

I'll support Leach as long as he's here. But I think don't think he's going to ever have that big season like he did at TT and Washington St simply because he'll face too many SEC defenses each year that are on another level than what he faced at those schools. His typical QB isn't going to have that extra skillset to make a big play with his legs when everything doesn't go perfect and we need him to improvise. I expect he'll have basically the same results Mullen did except minus the 2014 season.

I don't see him ever having us in contention for the SECW late in the season. I know that's rare for us regardless of who's coaching - but it's what we all want to see.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
This is a really dumb take. Croom's offense, and Moorhead's offense, were what you describe. Leach's offense is not like that. Croom/Moorhead could not move the ball vs. air. Leach's offense has worked against dang near everybody except the super talented teams, just like Mullen's. And Mullen's offense was also simple like Leach's. The difference in Mullen and Leach is that Mullen didn't have a 'system', just an idea, and could use any players. Leach's is more of a system that needs certain players. But the results are the same most likely. How high we go with either depends on the level of talent we get.

The offense didn't work against LSU Saturday because they out-talented us. But we still COULD have won the game had we eliminated the mistakes. That is the reason you employ a system offense, to narrow that talent gap. We almost did it.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I respectfully disagree. Kam Jones got whipped alot. Didn't notice if Albert Reese or Percy Lewis got in, but it's hard to believe if they didn't.

The Arizona DE beat Kam Jones quite a bit too... He appears to be the weak spot on the OL.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
You aren't wrong: Rankings

The players on the field decide the game. LSU has a lot of talent. Every week lower tier teams play tough through the first half of games only to see their lead go away in the second half. We had opportunities but we failed and the rest is history. The punt fumble was a back breaker.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
It's because he's out of position. He's not winning on the outside against tall corners. It hasn't and won't ever happen. I'm also not enamored with him like our fanbase is though.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The play that frustrated me the most was on a crucial 3rd down. LSU had 2 DL left of the LT and 4 DL right of the C with a MLB shaded right of center. We had a 3 gap hole on the OL and all I could think of is the whoop whoop counter play where the RB turned his shoulder pads right then countered left or the delayed QB draw would have gashed them for at least 10. I realize LSU would probably not run that against Nick or Dak but it pains me to look at it. I believe we threw an incomplete pass to Williams there.

In our current offense a quick handoff would have worked. But no we commit to the delay option run scheme when everyone on that defense and everyone watching knows Will ain’t keeping it. When a defense doesn’t have to respect the QB pulling it, they are going to commit all seven to the RB.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
We we brought the house we didn't get to Daniels that much and he could burn us for 20 yards running. Keeping us off snd on our heels. Having a qb that can escape and run has its advantages. The game has changed and true statue pocket passers are going away. Just look how much qbs in the nfl has changed. Most of the one guys can run for first downs if needed even Brady. Wills inability to sense pressure and get out of it is his Achilles heel. Well that and the inability to throw 40-50 yards down field to go overtop of coverage. He is accurate within 25 yards but when pressured not so much.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I feel like in the Mullen offense he would be electric from the slot. Imagine him on a screen or a jet sweep. To the house. Get him the ball in space

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login