The Recruiting isnt falling off it seems...

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023
Even with the **** show with this pitching staff, we still are getting top recruits to sign their commitment letters. NINE high school pitchers in the 23' class. 24' class even better.

Screenshot_20230429_231206.jpg

Screenshot_20230429_231149.jpg

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
You play like you practice. While admittedly, I haven't seen us practice, it would be a logical assumption either we're not practicing well or we're practicing the wrong things. Most of the bad stuff I've seen on the field are little league level mistakes.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think it’s pretty clear that talent isn’t an issue. Developing that talent is and that “culture” that every program talks about doesn’t seem to be very strong
What??? Talent (pitching talent) is 100% the issue.

Blame whoever you want for it, but that's the issue.

Reactions: pmack3641

patdog

May 28, 2007
I think it’s pretty clear that talent isn’t an issue. Developing that talent is and that “culture” that every program talks about doesn’t seem to be very strong
I think it's pretty clear that Perfect Game recruiting rankings are worthless, and more than likely rigged. All of our problems can't be explained by lack of talent, lack of coaching, and bad culture alone. It takes a perfect storm to be this bad.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
again I say, we dont have talent other teams do, or we think we do. We dont have 1 infielder that would start on most any other SEC roster.

Again I got lambasted by a poster here for talking about Cannizarrio. Not only did he find talent, he got it to campus. This crew hasnt been able to do the same.

We've been able to get Jordan and Hines to campus, both projected to be high draft guys out of high school. Thats about it. And then of course we beg guys like Hancock to come back and slap a C on his chest, when he's been nothing but average his entire career.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Baseball player rankings are a big chunk of fake news. The draft guys don't generally come to college (except at Vandy). The rest is a guess for the most part. A top five class might be a top 25 class in reality.
Then, we also have the lack of development piece. We've lost a huge part of two classes. Some weren't good some didn't develop.
This staff is bad. This staff should be fired. Gotro is the only one that can possibly stay, but doubt he would coach with a 3rd staff here.

Reactions: patdog

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Our Staff Sucks at Evaluation AND Development. Prove me Wrong. What have they done good since the Natty?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I rather have average guys who will get coached up by good coaches than a lot of talent with crappy coaching.

Reactions: Susanp62

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
So recruiting hasn't dropped off. Does that means 6-9 SEC wins again next year?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Ask me how I know you have never coached sports.
I am not saying this as a coach. I am saying this as a fan. State is playing crappy baseball. State is the second worst team in the SEC and could end up being in last place overall. State is leading in errors. All due to coaching. State has talent but they still suck because of coaching. Like I said I would rather see a well coach average talented team than this **** show.

Reactions: Susanp62

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You’re wrong. Our pitching talent sucks.
We lead the SEC in errors. That's not pitching. I do agree about pitching. They suck. We have talent but they are not well coached. State is proof that you can the best fan base, best stadium and top Knoch talent but if your coaches suck you are going to suck.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We lead the SEC in errors. That's not pitching. I do agree about pitching. They suck. We have talent but they are not well coached. State is proof that you can the best fan base, best stadium and top Knoch talent but if your coaches suck you are going to suck.
Same coaches won a national title. They can coach.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
just about everyone at this level can coach. So that’s a cop out.

Average coaches can win games even championships if the talent is enough.

good and great coaches can get the most out of their talent. Even over achieve.

so far lemonis seems like he belongs in the former, not the latter.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
What else do we lead in in addition to errors? Walks? Being swept? Run ruled? And attendance records.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We’re also 11th in runs scored. This team just sucks in so many ways it’s hard to believe. The coaching and development suck. But the evaluation and recruiting are the biggest reason we’re where we are.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I see two issues on the team: the pitching staff is awful and we’re soft. Our staff talent level is not where it should be, and injuries have made that worse.

But, we have no fight either. If we have someone get hit - we’re just taking it. The program has lost its edge and it‘s showing up in the W/L column.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I see two issues on the team: the pitching staff is awful and we’re soft. Our staff talent level is not where it should be, and injuries have made that worse.

But, we have no fight either. If we have someone get hit - we’re just taking it. The program has lost its edge and it‘s showing up in the W/L column.
Not disagreeing, but I do question if that is a real thing. High talent teams are generally not soft, while low talent teams are. But if you don’t have pitching, you don’t have a chance. So how do we really know?

I go back to that 2017 team. They didn’t have much pitching, but nobody would say they are soft. Was the difference Brent Rooker? Or was it this hard-to-measure soft/hard-ness?

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I think it's pretty clear that Perfect Game recruiting rankings are worthless, and more than likely rigged. All of our problems can't be explained by lack of talent, lack of coaching, and bad culture alone. It takes a perfect storm to be this bad.
Is it true that to get the PG rankings, that kids have to pay to go to their camps? If true, that seems like a shady AF situation.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What??? Talent (pitching talent) is 100% the issue.

Blame whoever you want for it, but that's the issue.

Pretty much agree. We have about 8 SEC caliber pitchers on the roster….out of 19-20 total.

So by sheer percentage, thats less than half of guys we could even rely on just to start with, which really ain’t good. Then you look at those 8 guys….3 of them (Kohn, Auger, Simmons) are on the shelf with TJ. One of them is Cade Smith, who was recruited and committed by the previous regime. Two more - Dohm and Nixon - were portal guys. Then finally you have Lo and Loftin who are both true freshmen.

So in total, in Year 5 we have something like 20 pitchers, only 2 of which were recruited by the current staff out of HS who we can count on for just average production….and they are both freshmen with consistency issues. That’s just a recipe for disaster….and we’re seeing it. If you miss on an entire pitching class like we did in 2021, even with the portal there is almost no margin for error in terms of your next 1-2 years as far as recruiting and development of pitchers. And we’ve had lots and lots of error.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msuirondawgs

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
After sleeping it off and a long walk in the woods with a bow, I feel better about this team. Mind you, not “good”, but “better”. This weekend stung like the other weekends, but UT did the same thing to Vandy that they did to us. They run-ruled them.
Auburn showed out in USCe and almost swept them. Bama gave LSWho all they wanted as well. Our pitching is still awful and fielding is Dixie Youth level, but there’s life in this team. Give them a few hits from the defib and see what happens.
***this is all coming from a self-professed Eeyore Bulldog fan***

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login