The rest of the story on that drone show...

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I was watching the livestream of the halftime show and was so impressed that the crowd seemed to be reacting positively to the Famous Maroon Band's performance. I was confused about the moments that generated reaction, though. They seemed random.

Turns out there was a drone show literally on top of the FMB's halftime show. It was an excellent halftime program with the most complex music and drill they've presented this season. It was senior night, of course, for many of the kids on that field. And of course, none of that mattered to whomever scheduled an unrelated drone show for halftime.

Well, here's the rest of the story -- and it surely reflects well on Elva Kaye Lance and the rest of the Maroon Band staff.

Randy Dale is the director of the Ole Miss band.

rd.png

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
In my opinion, this is unsurprising from our uber-classy band leadership. #HailState

But... I think the choice by other gameday decision makers to do the drone show at halftime in a way that competed with *either* band is bad form. If you do a drone show, you can do it in a way that coordinates with and augments the live performances of the students on the field.

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
And yes, I am well aware that there are portions of the fan base who don't give a s#!+ about supporting the 400 students who commit to being at every game and practice daily to make gameday even more fun.

Reactions: MarkDallas

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
And yes, I am well aware that there are portions of the fan base who don't give a s#!+ about supporting the 400 students who commit to being at every game and practice daily to make gameday even more fun.
Look man, the band is great, I was in high school band for six years, but they're part of the dressing, not the show. At this point in the year, they're not playing anything we haven't heard before anyway. That drone show was very cool.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Omg. Are people really going to get upset about the best halftime entertainment I’ve seen out there? The drone show was awesome and blew my kids away.

People can ***** about anything. My word.

That is exactly the type of thing we need to be doing more of.

Zarbok

Dec 2, 2022
As a FMB alumni, I would not have cared and thought it was still cool. It should've been requested to be located closer to the field up be able to view both of anything.

We had 4 shows, I believe, the year I was in it and none were as complex as my HS or juco's. They even said that MSU is not a band school so nothing will be hard or require music to be memorized. Not having 100% audience attention would not have phased me. Crowd only loves pregame anyways

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Who cares about a a bunch of band geeks?

• Haha
Reactions: Fishsqeezer

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Look man, the band is great, I was in high school band for six years, but they're part of the dressing, not the show. At this point in the year, they're not playing anything we haven't heard before anyway. That drone show was very cool.
Band members at my high school weren’t necessarily the coolest, but they were generally pretty smart. Surprised you were in the band and it took you 6 years to finish high school.*

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
What's interesting about your post is, learning of the cordial relationship between the band directors. Last night, I wondered why they took the field. That explains that. However I won't tell you the crowd's reaction to the OM band as that would probably disappoint you. However I would say the OM band benefited from the drone show as the stands was mostly full during half time in anticipation of the drone show.

Anyway, I can't recall if the FMB played on their field last year. Maybe I was at the concessions as it was raining.

Did the FMB play in Oxford in 2022?

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004
The FMB are not there for the Music program. When I was in school, many of them were Engineering or Architecture students who loved playing in the band because they love music and the camaraderie.

Reactions: Dawg84

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
These type posts sure do identify the former band members or band parents.

We don’t suck!.!!!.!!.!.!!

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Their show last night was new, and it was their fifth unique show of the year. So no, they weren't playing anything that you'd seen before.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
I was in a very competitive HS marching band. And my roommate in college was a friend from HS that did FMB Drumline, playing bass, tenor, and snare.

FMB wasn’t 20% of the commitment required of our HS band. It was more of a hobby that paid for books and got to go to games. The drill and music is very basic and easy to learn. And they may add 2-3 additional game songs each year. We had several friends do FMB for multiple years and none would characterize it as “busting their @ss”.

Now Music Majors… that’s a different story and a difficult degree.

Also, we don’t play loud enough and have done 80% the same music for 20 years. I wish someone would tell Elva Kay to retire Madelon pre-game or retire herself.

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
Actually that was a complete new show the FMB did at halftime for the Egg Bowl.

BigDogFan

Oct 12, 2016
What's interesting about your post is, learning of the cordial relationship between the band directors. Last night, I wondered why they took the field. That explains that. However I won't tell you the crowd's reaction to the OM band as that would probably disappoint you. However I would say the OM band benefited from the drone show as the stands was mostly full during half time in anticipation of the drone show.

Anyway, I can't recall if the FMB played on their field last year. Maybe I was at the concessions as it was raining.

Did the FMB play in Oxford in 2022?
Yes

Reactions: Maroon13

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
I will say, hearing the band play Freebird (even if abridged and not a full 12m banger) was one of the highlights of the season these past two games.

Is it okay to yell “FREEBIRD!!!!!” at the band now?

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
Elva and Dr Sills before her have about 3 shows in their repertoire. If you are over the age of 30 and attend games regularly you have seen their shows infinite number of times.

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
I only played sports, so I was never able too play in the band, but I love listening to the band. The atmosphere of high school and college football games would be totally lacking without those guys. My two brothers both played in band in high school and college, and I can truly respect the work they put into it.
I think Medelon, by the Lance’s is pretty cool, as it reminds me of some of the traditional college fight songs that I grew up listening to.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login