The season so far hasn't been good...

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
but it hasn't been worth of firing a first year coach yet either. Let it play out a bit. What we have done so far isn't that far off what we have done under the three previous coaches.

This is logical, just looking at results. Mullen certainly didn't do anything in big games, save a couple early season 2014. However, this year feels different because the LSU and Alabama teams that we laid and egg against aren't very good and our defense doesn't have a pulse. We've forever been able to count on a salty defense to help give us a chance and we don't seem to have any salt in the shaker this year.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
This is logical, just looking at results. Mullen certainly didn't do anything in big games, save a couple early season 2014. However, this year feels different because the LSU and Alabama teams that we laid and egg against aren't very good and our defense doesn't have a pulse. We've forever been able to count on a salty defense to help give us a chance and we don't seem to have any salt in the shaker this year.
If i'ts as bad as many say it will become quite evident in the results, that's what really matters, the results.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If it's as bad as I think it is we will not win a single SEC game. I think that would be enough to fire Arnett. We will just have to wait and see if they can get it rolling. If not why delay the inevitable?? Edited to add: do I think they will fire him ? No. This staff is a good ol boy staff hand assembled and they will be given 3 years to get it right or drive it in the ground

Last edited:
Reactions: knock him out john

patdog

May 28, 2007
If i'ts as bad as many say it will become quite evident in the results, that's what really matters, the results.
So far, it's been every bit as bad as many of us say. That's not to say it can't get better as the season goes on. We still have 3 winnable SEC games, even though we'll be the underdog in all 3. I still don't think we'll lose all 3 and hope we can win 2.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
but it hasn't been worthy of firing a first year coach yet either. Let it play out a bit. What we have done so far isn't that far off what we have done under the three previous coaches.
You are right if we don't have a forward look. A good Leach or Mullen team very well has the same record we have today.

My problem is we have no identity, are trying to fit square pegs in round holes, and have a real real bad defense that has the HCs guys on it (should be little transition on that side).

Major red flags we got a dud HC. Can he get better? Of course. Could he developed into our next Mullen? It's possible. But the fans didn't ask for a rebuild while being patient with a green coach that no other SEC would be interested in hiring as HC at that point in his career. We deserve a better effort don't we?

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Don’t kid yourself, results aren’t enough for some of these people. We may very well end up with a losing season but even seven or eight wins won’t be enough to satisfy some of those who have complained all through the Leach years.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
The Kool Aid that many were drinking during the offseason was laced with LSD. Many who drank it were totally delusional.

All this "this team was ready made for 10 wins" was just BS. We were faced with a difficult situation due to the death of a coach at a very inopportune time. Our QB was able to have some success in a very, very unique situation and even trying to keep the ship afloat with the same personnel would have been a challenge. Spurrier, Hollingshead, Miller...none of them are Leach and all would have tried to put their stamp on the offense in their own way. Could it have worked better than what we are seeing now? Who knows. Chances are probably not.

Then we have the folks saying what about Deion, look what he's doing. It's totally different. He brought in his own SON at QB who has been playing for him for half a decade as well as a 5 star multipurpose player and several 4 stars on the offensive side of the ball. We don't even have close to the skill talent that he brought in to run his system.

If Arnett had kept the status quo and the offense still stunk, we'd be in the same situation. The bottom line is MSU has to croot better, and we damn sure better find the damn coach who is going to do it or we will be falling further to the bottom in the SEC.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The Kool Aid that many were drinking during the offseason was laced with LSD. Many who drank it were totally delusional.

All this "this team was ready made for 10 wins" was just BS. We were faced with a difficult situation due to the death of a coach at a very inopportune time. Our QB was able to have some success in a very, very unique situation and even trying to keep the ship afloat with the same personnel would have been a challenge. Spurrier, Hollingshead, Miller...none of them are Leach and all would have tried to put their stamp on the offense in their own way. Could it have worked better than what we are seeing now? Who knows. Chances are probably not.

Then we have the folks saying what about Deion, look what he's doing. It's totally different. He brought in his own SON at QB who has been playing for him for half a decade as well as a 5 star multipurpose player and several 4 stars on the offensive side of the ball. We don't even have close to the skill talent that he brought in to run his system.

If Arnett had kept the status quo and the offense still stunk, we'd be in the same situation. The bottom line is MSU has to croot better, and we damn sure better find the damn coach who is going to do it or we will be falling further to the bottom in the SEC.
Fact: we have more talent and maturity than how we are playing.

Fact: fans would have been more understanding if we had kept the current system in place, rather than changing it with a bunch of veteran players, at least for one year.

Fact: the defense is MUCH worse than previous years, but the talent did not drop as much as the play. We have sought after players.

As far as Colorado, who can ever even know how the talent compares, unless we play. I imagine we could win that game, even with our current coaching staff. So that means nothing.

This whole lil ole moo u stuff is FALSE. That's 2006 type excuses and it honestly wasn't even true back then. We had players then too but the idiot staff didn't know what they were doing then either.

All that said.....I do think that Arnett can improve, he's got the ability. But he's got to quit with the ego and what he thinks he wants it to be, and go with what it is. He's got to run his defense and be more involved, you can delegate but you can't just be hands off. He also needs to get back to his personality and get more involved in games. And he's got to let Barbay do what he wants, because it's obvious Barbay has awakened to what needs to happen on offense. To sum it up, Arnett needs to get back to his strengths and let that guide him, rather than try and be some mythical coaching figure he sees in his head.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
College football is about a lot more than two positions, and from an overall roster point of view, 247 would disagree with this.

Deion signed 21 freshmen and 51 transfers that average out to a 87.2 rating. Meanwhile, State’s last 4 classes have virtually the exact same rating.

With that said, you’re also not wrong that the situations are entirely different because Colorado has a dynamic QB and team ready to battle every week. We don’t have either

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
So far, it's been every bit as bad as many of us say. That's not to say it can't get better as the season goes on. We still have 3 winnable SEC games, even though we'll be the underdog in all 3. I still don't think we'll lose all 3 and hope we can win 2.
I think all of them are winnable, but some are more than others.

patdog

May 28, 2007

No question about that. This was ALWAYS a 7-5 plus/minus one win team, even if Leach was still with us and coaching.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Be Happy No Worries GIF

• Haha
Reactions: Ranchdawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
but it hasn't been worthy of firing a first year coach yet either. Let it play out a bit. What we have done so far isn't that far off what we have done under the three previous coaches.
I will wait and see how we react as a team and coaching staff. We have fallen as low as we have ever been. I have seen some things we can build with and on. I don't expect we won't stumble. I want to know if we can improve the team and coaching. I'm not holding much hope. We need to start Saturday, and we don't have to look invincible for me to be happy. We have to not look like a trainwreck.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I will wait and see how we react as a team and coaching staff. We have fallen as low as we have ever been. I have seen some things we can build with and on. I don't expect we won't stumble. I want to know if we can improve the team and coaching. I'm not holding much hope. We need to start Saturday, and we don't have to look invincible for me to be happy. We have to not look like a trainwreck.
We have been lower, MUCH lower. tech and 10 comes to mind, there are many others.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Fact: we have more talent and maturity than how we are playing.

Fact: fans would have been more understanding if we had kept the current system in place, rather than changing it with a bunch of veteran players, at least for one year.

Fact: the defense is MUCH worse than previous years, but the talent did not drop as much as the play. We have sought after players.

As far as Colorado, who can ever even know how the talent compares, unless we play. I imagine we could win that game, even with our current coaching staff. So that means nothing.

This whole lil ole moo u stuff is FALSE. That's 2006 type excuses and it honestly wasn't even true back then. We had players then too but the idiot staff didn't know what they were doing then either.

All that said.....I do think that Arnett can improve, he's got the ability. But he's got to quit with the ego and what he thinks he wants it to be, and go with what it is. He's got to run his defense and be more involved, you can delegate but you can't just be hands off. He also needs to get back to his personality and get more involved in games. And he's got to let Barbay do what he wants, because it's obvious Barbay has awakened to what needs to happen on offense. To sum it up, Arnett needs to get back to his strengths and let that guide him, rather than try and be some mythical coaching figure he sees in his head.
Does Arnette give the impression of self-importance? He doesn’t seem that way to me.

Reactions: drexeldog23

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I haven't read other responses - only read the top post. The problem is there were expectations this season. And we have yet to put a full game together. We have looked pedestrian to bad defensively in all 5 games. We have looked decent on offense in 1 game.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Agreed. But the issues are very clear. Coaching. OL, DL, and QB. Being slow everywhere isn't helping either.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
7 total yards in one half against a bottom half of the NCAA defense?!?! On the defense side 24 points ginen up in that half.

Don't worry! All is well****

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm not in favor of firing the guy right now. But this is way, way, way far of from what we've been doing previously. We are straight up incompetent on the defensive side of the ball. While we lost some talent there, we returned a good bit of experience and have some good players. I understand there have been injuries, but there's more to it than that.

On offense, we're trying to put square pegs in round holes. We're playing a QB that can't do what his coaches are asking him to do. We're playing at least two OL out of position and have two offensive line coaches muddying the water. We're playing a defensive lineman at TE because the grad transfer TE we brought in can't block and hasn't been targeted for a pass once. We've got a couple of skill guys that we had to beg out of the portal with NIL deals who still aren't getting the volume of touches they should be getting. We've got one skill guy (Walley) who isn't even seeing the field for some reason.

If we aren't bowl eligible you have to move on because saying "this year hasn't been good" is a gross misrepresentation of the truth. This season has been a charlie foxtrot.

I am one of Arnett's biggest fans - love the guy. Desperately want him to be the guy. But you can't let us fall off like this and then keep riding with him. You just can't - there's too much at stake.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's all relative. Mullen almost beat lsu his first year after we were used to getting blasted. We looked pretty good against a Florida team that year that win the natty the year before, Alabama 2009 season won the natty against Texas. This is not same kind of bama team. He also took over from croom and a terrible team. Arnett inherited a 9 win team that he was apart of with lots of returning players. An old team. He made decision to change offense and it's his defense that jumped off a ledge. So not even close to the same. And it was our DA president that promoted an inexperienced guy

DavisWadeDawg

Oct 2, 2023
I'm not in favor of firing the guy right now. But this is way, way, way far of from what we've been doing previously. We are straight up incompetent on the defensive side of the ball. While we lost some talent there, we returned a good bit of experience and have some good players. I understand there have been injuries, but there's more to it than that.

On offense, we're trying to put square pegs in round holes. We're playing a QB that can't do what his coaches are asking him to do. We're playing at least two OL out of position and have two offensive line coaches muddying the water. We're playing a defensive lineman at TE because the grad transfer TE we brought in can't block and hasn't been targeted for a pass once. We've got a couple of skill guys that we had to beg out of the portal with NIL deals who still aren't getting the volume of touches they should be getting. We've got one skill guy (Walley) who isn't even seeing the field for some reason.

If we aren't bowl eligible you have to move on because saying "this year hasn't been good" is a gross misrepresentation of the truth. This season has been a charlie foxtrot.

I am one of Arnett's biggest fans - love the guy. Desperately want him to be the guy. But you can't let us fall off like this and then keep riding with him. You just can't - there's too much at stake.
Does Arnett give John Smith vibes (former one year Arkansas coach in 2012)? Is it that bad...yet?

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Does Arnett give John Smith vibes (former one year Arkansas coach in 2012)? Is it that bad...yet?
It doesn't feel that bad to me yet, mostly because that dude was a train wreck in more ways than one. Part of me still has at least a little flicker of hope with Arnett that he figures something out.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Don’t kid yourself, results aren’t enough for some of these people. We may very well end up with a losing season but even seven or eight wins won’t be enough to satisfy some of those who have complained all through the Leach years.
I don't think there is a single person on this board that wouldn't be ecstatic with 7 or 8 wins this season.

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012
If it's as bad as I think it is we will not win a single SEC game. I think that would be enough to fire Arnett. We will just have to wait and see if they can get it rolling. If not why delay the inevitable?? Edited to add: do I think they will fire him ? No. This staff is a good ol boy staff hand assembled and they will be given 3 years to get it right or drive it in the ground
If State does not win one SEC game, State needs to move on.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I don't think there is a single person on this board that wouldn't be ecstatic with 7 or 8 wins this season.
Well some think nine wins was boring so I have no reason to believe seven or eight wins would be good enough for them. We aren’t talking about reasonable people. Some of these mofos think we should be copying service academies for Pete’s sake. If we peeled off seven or eight wins they would be dooming and glooming about how it should have been so much better and CZA needs to be fired to ensure future success. It’s all excuses for their own pathetic lack of support. They do diddly squat to support the program now and they never will.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well some think nine wins was boring so I have no reason to believe seven or eight wins would be good enough for them. We aren’t talking about reasonable people. Some of these mofos think we should be copying service academies for Pete’s sake. If we peeled off seven or eight wins they would be dooming and glooming about how it should have been so much better and CZA needs to be fired to ensure future success. It’s all excuses for their own pathetic lack of support. They do diddly squat to support the program now and they never will.
I'll tell you what. If we peel off seven or eight wins you can come here and dunk on everyone. Until then, your take here is stupid.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I'll tell you what. If we peel off seven or eight wins you can come here and dunk on everyone. Until then, your take here is stupid.
Nah, complaining about nine wins is stupid. I get your black-pilled schtick but it’s frankly boring. I wouldn’t be dunking on anyone anyway though because I’m not sure that this team will win seven games. I would be happy to see them become better than they have been through the first five games though.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Nah, complaining about nine wins is stupid. I get your black-pilled schtick but it’s frankly boring. I wouldn’t be dunking on anyone anyway though because I’m not sure that this team will win seven games. I would be happy to see them become better than they have been through the first five games though.
We're not getting to seven games. Now that we agree on that, what are you bitching about?

Simmer

Jun 21, 2013
JoMo went 8-5 and 6-7 and got let go. He was 7-9 in the SEC. If we don't get past 4 wins, Selmon needs to make a serious decision.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Ah, you didn’t read. No need to rehash on a message board, it’s all up there above.
You're all over the place. You said even if we got to 7/8 wins people would still be bitching. I said if we get to 7/8 wins, come back and let 'em know. Then you say we aren't getting there. To that I say, no ****, so why are you bitching? And now you're trying to point to a different argument?

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
You're all over the place. You said even if we got to 7/8 wins people would still be bitching. I said if we get to 7/8 wins, come back and let 'em know. Then you say we aren't getting there. To that I say, no ****, so why are you bitching? And now you're trying to point to a different argument?

Can you really not follow that or are you feigning ignorance? I said people will ***** either way and I made no prediction regarding win counts. It’s not complicated fella.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login