The time is right for a college football draft!

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
The sport has shifted from an amateur sport to a professional sport. Let's just admit it and set up a draft so the playing field returns to pre-Saban status.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Hell Yeah. Let's make kids go to school where they don't want to.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
That's the most awful idea ever. That's the beauty of college athletics - choice (based on spots available, of course).

We already have some free agency that should even the field a little (transfer portal immediate eligibility).

We need to quit focusing on Saban, and start focusing on MSU's niche, along with expanding the playoff. Expanding the playoff would Saban-proof the sport forever (for all the future Sabans) by giving everyone that 'chance', even if they get destroyed living out that chance opportunity.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
The sport has shifted from an amateur sport to a professional sport. Let's just admit it and set up a draft so the playing field returns to pre-Saban status.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

We can hate on Bama and Saban (and rightly so), but keep in mind they have also made MSU a ton of money.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Hell Yeah. Let's make kids go to school where they don't want to.

I understand your point and I don't disagree.

But, the grumpy old fart in me says - hey, they asked for this. They wanted to be paid like professionals and make this not about school. So, just like NFL players have limited control over where they get drafted, I would have no problem having the same setup with college.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah... who cares if a school has a degree in the major you want or that your family can't travel across the country to watch your games?***

Dammit, you play football, so your life choices were forfeit as soon as you put on that chin strap. We have to create a system that makes sure the 1.2% of you that are going to go to the NFL are spread evenly across 133 programs regardless of the effect it has on the other 98.8%.

Sounds great***

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I've brainstormed an SEC draft before, but you would have to make exceptions for local and legacy players, keep it to just a couple of rounds, and also make allowances for good students wanting a certain major. Some kind of draft to spread the most elite talent around is feasible, but not one that resembles the NFL draft.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I understand your point and I don't disagree.

But, the grumpy old fart in me says - hey, they asked for this. They wanted to be paid like professionals and make this not about school. So, just like NFL players have limited control over where they get drafted, I would have no problem having the same setup with college.
I've seen a couple of cynical idiots throw around the idea of making sports a club team and basically de-coupling the scholarship, and pay market value. At that point, I'd see no reason to have a team affiliated with a school at all, and most college sports would simply cease to exist. But, it's the only way to do it if you want a draft.

It's just not a good idea at all.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
With the first pick in Round 1, the Mississippi State Bulldogs select Arch Manning, Quarterback, Isidore Newman School. **

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I've brainstormed an SEC draft before, but you would have to make exceptions for local and legacy players, keep it to just a couple of rounds, and also make allowances for good students wanting a certain major. Some kind of draft to spread the most elite talent around is feasible, but not one that resembles the NFL draft.
Yeah it'd have to be conference-dependent, thus regionally organized. Then you'd also have to define 4 major semi-equal conferences, the winner of which goes to the playoff, or something to that effect.

My days of watching college sports would be over. This would end the basic appeal of it.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Yeah it'd have to be conference-dependent, thus regionally organized. Then you'd also have to define 4 major semi-equal conferences, the winner of which goes to the playoff, or something to that effect.

My days of watching college sports would be over. This would end the basic appeal of it.

Really? Out of all the changes going on, a draft that makes the Mississippi State-type schools more equal in talent to the more prestigious ones would be the tipping point for you?

Even if it were only 3 rounds, with teams being able to sign and lockdown in state and legacy players before it? You would see more parity and likely more localization than you see now with an in-state accommodation.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
With the first pick in Round 1, the Mississippi State Bulldogs select Arch Manning, Quarterback, Isidore Newman School. **

I can’t wait until State and Ole Miss fans use “we were tanking for draft position” as an excuse for losing the Egg Bowl.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Really? Out of all the changes going on, a draft that makes the Mississippi State-type schools more equal in talent to the more prestigious ones would be the tipping point for you?

Even if it were only 3 rounds, with teams being able to sign and lockdown in state and legacy players before it? You would see more parity and likely more localization than you see now with an in-state accommodation.
It's still amateur at this point. Transferring without sitting is something that should have happened years ago, and benefits us. NIL is outside the school. Players still have choices, if they want to choose a school for NIL or anything else, go for it.

A draft truly professionalizes it. And you'd have to pay those guys directly since they didn't have a choice.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
No it wouldn't! Saban would still buy the best talent and win, win, win. Player go where the money is paid and can afford travel for family. With the present system Saban is better off than ever before. He's trading up with every player that enters the portal. If you think expanding the playoffs will fix the problem then you don't understand the problem.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
Most already go where the money is paid. It is Disneyesque to think these kids are set on one school.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Can't do it. It would never be allowed to take the one choice these kids do have.

I've written about the solution before. You have to remove football scholarships based on the previous years finish. Distribute them to other sports. That is the only fair way to try and bring about some parity.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Won't work for several reasons...

The logistics would be enormous. The players would hate it. Parents would hate it. And most of all, the current blue bloods would never let it happen.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Can't do it. It would never be allowed to take the one choice these kids do have.

I've written about the solution before. You have to remove football scholarships based on the previous years finish. Distribute them to other sports. That is the only fair way to try and bring about some parity.

I like that idea. Make the playoffs, you only get 80 scholarships next year. Win the title, you play the next 2 years with just 75. Or something along those lines.

Of course with NIL, people can just be "walk-ons" and get paid enough to pay for school, so maybe it's time for hard roster limits.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
That is the idea. Your NIL issue might happen, but why give up the 40 to 80 thousand dollars that you get with a scholarship. Great players will get a NIL with a full schollie at another school. Still an issue people don't consider is there is limited positions to play on one team. Only one can play QB, etc. The other thing about NIL is they are going to level theselves out at some point. The best recruits are going to be commanding 4 year guaranteed NILs at some point. The NIL providers will get burned and become more cautious. I mean if my kid was a 5 star, thats what I would demand. If I move schools it stays in effect. There are going to be people taking that chance because it is proven if you can get a Cam Newton or Vince Young, you can win a championship. I mean Bama or Ohio State won't do it, but an second tier school just might.

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
The time is right to eliminate all athletic scholarships and return to club play.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login