The weirdness of NIL

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
"Purdy is still on his rookie deal, a contract that pays him $870,000 in 2023 before jumping to $985,000 in 2024. "

I know most of you keep up with and understand all this a LOT better than than me......but something just don't seem right about this.

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You get paid 1 million dollars to return for your senior year. 130K less than if you went into the NFL but if you go to the NFL, you start the clock on the rookie contract. Depending on position you only have so many snaps before your body gives out. You might lose money one year if you go to the NFL but you will make it up on the back in. Some of these guys need better advice. Williams got 2.5 million to return. Lawrence got 37 million being drafted number one. How much money did Williams lose coming back? I am using Williams as an example. He may not have been able to go into draft due to age or class.

I just think if you are going to be drafted high, go regardless how much NIL you are offered.

Last edited:

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
"Purdy is still on his rookie deal, a contract that pays him $870,000 in 2023 before jumping to $985,000 in 2024. "

I know most of you keep up with and understand all this a LOT better than than me......but something just don't seem right about this.
Purdy is making money on endorsement deals--his name, image, and likeness--as well, so those numbers don't tell the whole story.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Late round diamonds like Purdy or Dak are uncommon situations. For a first rounder like, say, Caleb Williams, there’s no comparison.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
If you can make the money where you are, stay, it's a hit or miss when you go to next league.
NFL = Not For Long.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
You get paid 1 million dollars to return for your senior year. 130K less than if you went into the NFL but if you go to the NFL, you start the clock on the rookie contract. Depending on position you only have so many snaps before your body gives out. You might lose money one year if you go to the NFL but you will make it up on the back in. Some of these guys need better advice. Williams got 2.5 million to return. Lawrence got 37 million being drafted number one. How much money did Williams lose coming back? I am using Williams as an example. He may not have been able to go into draft due to age or class.

I just think if you are going to be drafted high, go regardless how much NIL you are offered.
The other side of that argument is if you return your NFL clock starts a year later which could get you more money in your second contract because salary caps and salaries continue to climb.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008

Let's discontinue the farce that these are college "students" and relieve them of the requirement to attend classes.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Is this thread just a rephrase of the Purdy NIL thread from a few days ago?

If so, then...this is just as good a place to repeat the absurdity of comparing Purdy's salary to a high NIL earning college player.
If this isn't a repeat of the thread from a few days ago, I'm not sure what the point of the thread is.
IMG_1456.jpeg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Again, extreme example to try and exaggerate an agenda. Purdy is in a rare situation, that will soon be rectified. Arch is a Manning, and he likely isn’t truly making 3.2M from NIL alone.

Not to mention, the extra COVID year has created a glut of these 6th year guys, who don’t want to get off the gravy train. Has nothing to do with the Arch example above, but I use that to say I think things will calm down some in a year or so.

I just can’t see a bunch of alumni wasting their money on unproven prospects like say, Malachi Nelson, much longer.

Captain Ron

Aug 22, 2012
Let's discontinue the farce that these are college "students" and relieve them of the requirement to attend classes.
All student athletes? Just the ones getting NIL deals? D2 players? Womens sports?

The whole thing is out of control. Is the governing body going to allowed to have rules and structure like with scholarship limits, or does it go down the path of “you can’t have rules on limiting earning potential.”

So should we not have limits on rosters Etc? What stops Bama from just paying 200 kids whether on scholly or not?

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Is this thread just a rephrase of the Purdy NIL thread from a few days ago?

If so, then...this is just as good a place to repeat the absurdity of comparing Purdy's salary to a high NIL earning college player.
If this isn't a repeat of the thread from a few days ago, I'm not sure what the point of the thread is.
View attachment 487940
No, I didn't even read or notice the thread the other day. The absurdity of the NIL Just jumps out at me on several levels and I'm in no way inclined to get in a typing debate with you or anyone else to make my point, but an NFL QB trying to lead his team to the Super Bowl making less salary than some unproven 18 year old QB out of high school (paid with donations) just seems convoluted to me. I have no interest in diving into the nuances that made it that way, I'm just looking at face value. Merry Christmas.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
No, I didn't even read or notice the thread the other day. The absurdity of the NIL Just jumps out at me on several levels and I'm in no way inclined to get in a typing debate with you or anyone else to make my point, but an NFL QB trying to lead his team to the Super Bowl making less salary than some unproven 18 year old QB out of high school (paid with donations) just seems convoluted to me. I have no interest in diving into the nuances that made it that way, I'm just looking at face value. Merry Christmas.
You are only wanting to observe something at a superficial level and not willing to adjust your established view despite beneficial context.
Well at least you are up front about not wanting to be informed or or see the gray area of a situation.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You’re basically choosing to be fooled by an absurd example. I’m guessing you’re also choosing to be extremely jaded and cynical about the current state of things. Understandable, for sure. But just realize it’s not as bad as you think, and people are taking advantage of that cynical viewpoint by pushing angles like the Purdy/Manning one, and folks are obviously falling for it.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

99jc

Jul 31, 2008
You’re basically choosing to be fooled by an absurd example. I’m guessing you’re also choosing to be extremely jaded and cynical about the current state of things. Understandable, for sure. But just realize it’s not as bad as you think, and people are taking advantage of that cynical viewpoint by pushing angles like the Purdy/Manning one, and folks are obviously falling for it.
the point is that even 1 case likes this shows the stupidity of the NIL!

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
the point is that even 1 case likes this shows the stupidity of the NIL!
Does it though?
People are constantly paid more than others think they are worth. Other people are constantly paid less than others think they are worth.

I think it's goofy to pay a coach $77 million to not coach, but A&M apparently considers that good business sense.
There is no singular correct path for how money 'should' be spent.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think it's goofy to pay a coach $77 million to not coach, but A&M apparently considers that good business sense.
In my opinion, ridiculous coaching salaries and all the BS that comes with that are the single biggest reason this all hit a fever pitch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login