The wine is reducing down with the short ribs

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Seared them off. Added onions, tomato paste and a whole garlic clove cut in half. Beef stock, thyme and a cinnamon stick going in after the wine reduces by half. I’m guessing 2.5 - 3 hours in the oven. Probably serve these over some homemade polenta made with a little extra heavy cream cause - tis the season.. Garnish with fresh parsley (clearly).

What kind of hamburger helper are yall eyeing for Christmas Eve?

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Seared them off. Added onions, tomato paste and a whole garlic clove cut in half. Beef stock, thyme and a cinnamon stick going in after the wine reduces by half. I’m guessing 2.5 - 3 hours in the oven. Probably serve these over some homemade polenta made with a little extra heavy cream cause - tis the season.. Garnish with fresh parsley (clearly).

We are feasting on stomach bile at the moment. 4 out of 5 of the immediate family are down with it. Only the 6 yr old is standing.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Interesting addition with the cinnamon stick.

We are probably getting a Steak at the Beau Rivage because the in-laws don’t cook at all.

For my side of the family this week I reverse seared a 10 pound prime rib and it was divine. Pics below.

Attachments

• ADCFE0CF-BC91-41AE-B682-59577E8D2CD2.jpeg
    ADCFE0CF-BC91-41AE-B682-59577E8D2CD2.jpeg
    516.3 KB · Views: 14

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I love short ribs but the wife, not so much, so I rarely cook them. We’re doing the big meal tomorrow. I have a 13 lb ribeye loin to go on the egg tomorrow morning, squash casserole, twice baked taters, bacon wrapped green beans, stuffed mushrooms, and whatever anyone else brings. Au jus and Horsey sauce for the prime rib and some garlic bread to sop the gravy.

Augustus McCrae

Aug 25, 2012

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Interesting addition with the cinnamon stick.

We are probably getting a Steak at the Beau Rivage because the in-laws don’t cook at all.

For my side of the family this week I reverse seared a 10 pound prime rib and it was divine. Pics below.
Can’t hide money. I passed when I saw the sticker at my grocer. 9.16#er for $238.

I got the rump roast with a pack of Lipton onion soup.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have learned through the years buying and cooking steaks that you generally get what you pay for. Pay for prime and you’ll always get good meat. Skimp and buy choice and it’s probably 60-40 good to bad meat.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I got it at Costco for 165. You can feed an army with that big of a roast
I’m a Costco guy myself. I haven’t seen un-trimmed tenderloins my last few visits though. I’m nervous they’ve caught on, because buying those use to yield 8 great steaks and a pound of trimmings (kabobs, chili, etc.). If you have a meat grinder basically everything could be turned into hamburgers.

They have trimmed tenderloins though. 2X the price per LB though.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
I have learned through the years buying and cooking steaks that you generally get what you pay for. Pay for prime and you’ll always get good meat. Skimp and buy choice and it’s probably 60-40 good to bad meat.
Generally agree but this argument hits a ceiling somewhere below $238 for a 4 bone standing rib roast.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
Got a ham on the smoker. Sweet tater souffle, squash casserole, green bean casserole, Waldorf salad, deviled eggs, homemade yeast rolls and half a case of wine of various types.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
Publix has bone in rib roast for 5.79 lb if you live near one. Local Big Star in Tupelo just tweeted out half off all hams and turkeys till closing tonight.
Never paid attention to the Prime vs Choice when buying a rib roast but I’ve never had a bad one if I get the temp right at med rare and let it rest for 20 minutes before slicing.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Chicken and sausage gumbo was cooked all
day today. We had a terrific meal after church. Ham on the smoker tomorrow.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Never paid attention to the Prime vs Choice when buying a rib roast but I’ve never had a bad one if I get the temp right at med rare and let it rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
I've cut back on red meat but when I do, I do the tenderloins and pay $2 more per LB for prime even though I'm not an expert and don't know if I'm wasting $ for the Prime. I get my steaks from Kroger. I'm a damn good cook but not an expert on cows and what creates the differences between prime / choice.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
For steaks, Prime is worth the extra money at least to me. What make it Prime is the amount of marbling, aka fat, in the meat. Fat is flavor. $268 for a 4 lber is ridiculous unless it’s Wagyu. Butcher shop in Pensacola had bone in Rib Roast Wagyu for $43 per pound, it’s epic if you ever get the chance. I’ll splurge sometime for 2-4 but I ain’t paying that to feed 8-10 like today.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
For steaks, Prime is worth the extra money at least to me. What make it Prime is the amount of marbling, aka fat, in the meat. Fat is flavor. $268 for a 4 lber is ridiculous unless it’s Wagyu. Butcher shop in Pensacola had bone in Rib Roast Wagyu for $43 per pound, it’s epic if you ever get the chance. I’ll splurge sometime for 2-4 but I ain’t paying that to feed 8-10 like today.
$43 per pound for bone in would make me faint at the register.

GTAdawg

Sep 11, 2010
I smoked a boneless 6lb prime rib roast, Walmart choice cut, at 250 degrees on my two burner Weber gas grill today until it hit 120 degrees internal, then rested for ~20 minutes while temp rose to 130. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, tyhme, and rosemary. Basted with butter. Would have had you convinced you were eating at a high dollar steak house. I even impressed myself.

Reactions: 57stratdawg

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Can’t hide money. I passed when I saw the sticker at my grocer. 9.16#er for $238.

I got the rump roast with a pack of Lipton onion soup.
Find someone that sends cows to processor. We usually buy by 1/2 cow but split a 1/2 with friends this year. We are paying $3.00 per pound plus processing fee - ribeye, ground, filet strip all costs the same. So, a 9 lb ribeye loin would be $25 or less including fee.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007

I like to cook some bacon or pancetta before searing the short ribs in the grease from it. Then add the bacon back right at the end.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login