The worlds smallest Bucees has opened.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just out side that photo is a Dollar General.

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I believe there is one under construction (or soon to be under construction) on I-10 near Gulfport.

Hoping for one off I-20 in Purl or Brandon.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That one I might actually go to. I've driven past those things and there's no way I'm putting up with that carnage for a glorified Stuckeys.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
That one I might actually go to. I've driven past those things and there's no way I'm putting up with that carnage for a glorified Stuckeys.

Not even close. Stuckey's is/was the Dollar Tree of gas stations. There's not a better, more private stall to drop a deuce than at a Bucee's.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I felt the exact same until I went in the one in Loxley a couple months ago. Walked out an hour and a half later and still didn't see everything. We bought Bucees coffee, bunch of wine (wife said it was cheaper that what we pay in Starkville), brisket sandwiches, several BBQ rubs, etc etc. I'll go back when I've got more time to explore

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I finally went in my first one last month. Like you, I avoided it because of the crowds. The only one I really ever drove past in the one off 10 in Alabama. But i finally stopped at one in Georgia (not sure the town, somewhere south of Atlanta). It’s basically a mini wal mart. I don’t think I’ll ever make it a habit of stopping at one but it was not as bad as I expected. The brisket sandwich was good but the smoked turkey sandwich was excellent.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
After having visited Buccee's several times.....

I have the following opinion. It is certainly a sight to behold and I encourage anyone to check it out at least once. But it is not a must stop destination every time you drive by one. Just stopping for gas perhaps but visiting the store just winds up spending way more time that I want on the road and dropping $30 bucks on stuff that is OK but nothing to write home about. The food is plentiful and quick but mediocre at best and a bit overpriced. The restrooms are par excellence I will admit but they are strategically placed so that you must walk through the store to get to (I don't blame them for that). They do have some good snacks but most of the stuff is just regular old touristy souvenirs. It seems to me like most of the hype is just people feeding off others frenzy. Don't get me wrong, it is an experience but for the most part you wind up staying longer than you want to stay and spending more than you want to pay.

About one full buckee's experience a year is plenty for me.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I would not stop at the one in Loxley (I think? whatever one is north of gulf shores basically) during the summer, but in general they are a good place to stop. Bathrooms are clean and even when they are crowded (as long as it's not Loxley in summer crowded), they're plenty fast to get in and out of. If you're on the road and need food, the brisket sandwich and smoked turkey sandwich are solid and don't leave you feeling as disgusted as fast food meals, even if they aren't exactly light/healthy.

I will agree with thekimmer that a lot of what is in the store is just touristy stuff. The one on I-10 in Mississippi is going to be in a pretty sparsely populated area, and I'm curious as to whether they will stock that store more like a dollar general (not in terms of quality; just meaning marketing it more to locals as basically a dollar general alternative to basic needs), as I assume they won't get the tourist traffic that the one in Loxley gets. Even the one in Loxley has some basic store (and even home goods) that don't seem to be overpriced or aimed at tourists, but I'm curious as to who actually takes time to browse it while traveling to vacation, and what locals are willing to put up with the summer crowds to go in there.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I would not stop at the one in Loxley (I think? whatever one is north of gulf shores basically) during the summer, but in general they are a good place to stop. Bathrooms are clean and even when they are crowded (as long as it's not Loxley in summer crowded), they're plenty fast to get in and out of. If you're on the road and need food, the brisket sandwich and smoked turkey sandwich are solid and don't leave you feeling as disgusted as fast food meals, even if they aren't exactly light/healthy.

I will agree with thekimmer that a lot of what is in the store is just touristy stuff. The one on I-10 in Mississippi is going to be in a pretty sparsely populated area, and I'm curious as to whether they will stock that store more like a dollar general (not in terms of quality; just meaning marketing it more to locals as basically a dollar general alternative to basic needs), as I assume they won't get the tourist traffic that the one in Loxley gets. Even the one in Loxley has some basic store (and even home goods) that don't seem to be overpriced or aimed at tourists, but I'm curious as to who actually takes time to browse it while traveling to vacation, and what locals are willing to put up with the summer crowds to go in there.

First one I went to was the one in Temple TX on a trip to Austin. I enjoyed it and was amazed at the number of people moving through there. It was a crowd but it wasn't overbearing. Since my girlfriend had never been to one, we decided to stop at the Loxley one on the way to Pensacola last year and it was ridiculous. You could barely move around the aisles it was so packed with people.

We've since stopped at the one in Leeds, AL several times and had pleasant experiences at that one.

Feb 15, 2007
On our 11 hour drive to Florida, we stop at the one in Calhoun and Macon and let the 4 and 2 year old run around. They knock over the all the stuffed beavers, then hide in the clothes racks while I pick up after them. 2/10. Would not recommend.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login