The worst part about firing Howland will be

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
This is 💯 accurate…

That we'll have to hire a terrible coach before Cohen hires a good one**

“Mother Brain” will indubitably outthink himself with an awful hire, and we will have to cross our fingers that he/she/it tanks it early. WAY early.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
On top of the frustrating losses, at a certain point you also have to hold Howland accountable for not being able to get the fans to buy in.

In one sense it’s kinda impressive that we’ve won as much as we have with some of the worst fan support in the SEC. But a big part of the reason our fan support sucks is Howland’s constant inability to win big games or sustain any kind of momentum.

Masal32

May 12, 2018
GO GET GREGG MARSHALL RIGHT NOw

That dude is poison. Would be a total embarrassment for this University to hire him. Any coach will do honestly, except him. All three teams that have beaten us would be doing wonders with this team. Just get somebody.

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
Gregg Marshall built Wichita State all the way up to the #1 team in the country for an entire regular season and the overall #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. Do you have any clue just how 17ing impossible that accomplishment is? If he's poison than bring on the poison. Every rose has its thorn but it ain't nothing but a good time so talk dirty to me Gregg Marshall.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
He hired Lemonis or do you just want to overlook that because it doesn’t fit your narrative.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
He hired Lemonis or do you just want to overlook that because it doesn’t fit your narrative.

I think his point is that its always Cohens 2nd hire that does really well and his 1st hire is usually botched in some form. Lemonis was cohens 2nd hire for baseball.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012

He also hired Leach. And while I will be the first to admit that I am lukewarm at best to that move, it would be hard to argue that despite some disappointments along the way, this team took a pretty big leap from last year with pretty much the same players.

Coaching selections are always a crap shoot. Gregg Marshall would seem like a slam dunk because he won a lot of games at Wichita. But how would it look on the recruiting trail for him now given the allegations that drove him out last year. Would the guys that played for him before, play for him now? That’s what you have to weigh when you hire that guy and I don’t know how you calculate the risk associated with that.

It is a given that Howland is a short timer at this point. If I’m Cohen and think this year is it, I’m asking a lot of questions and keeping a keen eye on Richie Riley at South Alabama and AW Hamilton at Eastern KY, two seemingly up and comers. I don’t know much about their preferred style of play, but if either are comfortable with the pace and space approach that Oats is using, that would be worth trying to at least generate some excitement around the program.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Everyone clamoring for Marshall isn’t taking into account those allegations that got him canned.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
He didn’t botch the first hire, that guy self destructed on his own and let’s not forget the players he brought in that were a vital part of winning the National championship. Look I get it, Cohen is a little old fashioned and behind the times and lacks a lot to be desired but sometimes you’ve got to give him a little credit.

kb549

Oct 6, 2014
I went to a midweek game Howland’s first or second year. Coming through Starkville right about tip off and got some tickets from a scalper. Wound up being in the seats directly behind the team bench. Like 1st row. Had to be player’s family tickets. Anyway, I could overhear basically everything Howland was saying to the assistants when he wasn’t yelling to the players on the court. Some of the things he said and asked the assistants left me bewildered. He was incredibly unprepared and not as mentally in the game as he should have been for what we were paying him. It was one of the last games I’ve been to. It was apparent to me that night, that this is his retirement fund. Bank as much as possible for as little effort as possible and ride it until he walks out with a buyout.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Everyone clamoring for Marshall isn’t taking into account those allegations that got him canned.

Yeah, this isn't a Bruce Pearl or a Larry Eustachy situation. If five years go by and the investigation into him turns up nothing, maybe he would be worth a shot. But right now, it's a bad gamble.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008

Cohen gets 100% credit for the Lemonis hire. I’m sure Cohen thanks God every night that hire worked out as well as it has. Because let’s not act like that hire wasn’t mostly luck. Lemonis, most likely, wasn’t in Cohen’s top 3, especially considering what he was saying to the media and to boosters. When Lemonis was hired most of our fan base said “who?”

But at the end of the day it’s worked out better than anyone expected, so Cohen gets and deserves all the credit.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login