The ZombieKissinger Bracket Tragedy

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
OK. I'm ranked 748 out of ~22.6million ESPN brackets right now. Obviously, tons of people of could've had one pick go another way and improve their bracket, but I live near WSU, and I chose to put them in the Final Four for the heck of it. Over UConn. Who I think is probably the best team, even though I picked Bama to win it all. If I'd gone the traditional UConn route, I'd be at 1160 points and tied for 3rd place in the country. The only silver lining is that the person in 1st place with 1180 has the same picks I do (Bama over Purdue in the finals), but this has to be the best bracket of my lifetime

1711940163635.png
1711940224918.png

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
OK. I'm ranked 748 out of ~22.6million ESPN brackets right now. Obviously, tons of people of could've had one pick go another way and improve their bracket, but I live near WSU, and I chose to put them in the Final Four for the heck of it. Over UConn. Who I think is probably the best team, even though I picked Bama to win it all. If I'd gone the traditional UConn route, I'd be at 1160 points and tied for 3rd place in the country. The only silver lining is that the person in 1st place with 1180 has the same picks I do (Bama over Purdue in the finals), but this has to be the best bracket of my lifetime

View attachment 549734
View attachment 549735
I picked several teams based on being personal favorites in the early rounds, family pool 16 people, was losing early in the tournament. I got 3 out of 4 right for the final four so I have a good chance of winning if UConn beats Purdue. can’t let favorites/bias get in the way.

Jans messed up my bracket a bit too, but I had Bama in the final four. I didn’t watch nc state play once this year. I can’t imagine too many people had them in the final four. they could have been a dark horse sleeper though, just didn’t get to see them play.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'm happy. You should be satisfied, too. We rarely get moments that Big as fans.

Ignore the detractors.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020

View attachment 549734
View attachment 549735
Those are some really good picks, NC state, Yale, Alabama

17itdawg

Sep 30, 2022
That is really impressive. You've got some good picks. Luck, watching too much basketball, or some combination of the two?

I got in the top 1,000 in the country once. I was barely in it I think I was 988 or 989. Hard to remember exactly since it was 2009. It was my senior year of college, and I watched way too much college basketball plus I got really, really 17ing lucky with some upsets.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
That is really impressive. You've got some good picks. Luck, watching too much basketball, or some combination of the two?

I got in the top 1,000 in the country once. I was barely in it I think I was 988 or 989. Hard to remember exactly since it was 2009. It was my senior year of college, and I watched way too much college basketball plus I got really, really 17ing lucky with some upsets.
It was mostly luck and personal bias. I watched every state game and two Gonzaga games, and that’s it, but I did check the top 25 scores most days.

The bias played in with me having Bama win it because they were the team we looked most helpless against all year. I thought Auburn’s BS in the SEC tournament wouldn’t fly in the NCAA. I didn’t trust Iowa State, but the WSU thing was because I live in WA. I would’ve picked UConn to win, but I had that in one of my three other brackets. I biased toward the ACC and thought NC State might make a run. I wish Oregon had won that OT game with Creighton, but PAC 12 didn’t do well

kired

Aug 22, 2008
How much thought did you put into your bracket - or just plain luck? Yale over Auburn, did you pick that just because you wanted Auburn to lose? NC State in the final 4, Clemson over Baylor?

Just curious as I'm someone who watches almost zero college basketball outside of our games. I've won a couple of bracket groups over the years and it was always pure luck on picks - but nothing like this obviously. Was there any reasoning behind your upset picks or just got lucky?

eta: nevermind, just saw your other post

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012

Damn dude - My best bracket on ESPN is better than 98.9% of brackets, and it is ranked 293,643 with 830 points. Your bracket is insane.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
How much thought did you put into your bracket - or just plain luck? Yale over Auburn, did you pick that just because you wanted Auburn to lose? NC State in the final 4, Clemson over Baylor?

Just curious as I'm someone who watches almost zero college basketball outside of our games. I've won a couple of bracket groups over the years and it was always pure luck on picks - but nothing like this obviously. Was there any reasoning behind your upset picks or just got lucky?

eta: nevermind, just saw your other post
Yeah, my general bracket approach though is to make a more traditional one for small pools, but when I’m doing something national where there’s 30 million entrants, you have to go a little crazy. I mix traditional with crazy because I feel like if you just do UConn winning, you’re competing with 10 million others than have them winning. Bama winning probably narrows it to a few hundred thousand. I usually have a couple traditional teams making the Final Four then add a couple less traditional. Does result in some bad years, though

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login