There’s a leader in the clubhouse for Sean Payton.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Jerry will overpay for him once the Cowboys have another first round exit. I hope that’s not the case as they are the only team I can bear to watch now since the Saints blow
Here's a hot take for you Ruckus... Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy are statistically speaking the same guy, only noticeable difference is that MM could probably eat SP in a single sitting.

Both are 59 years old and got their first head coaching gigs in 2006.

They both had 1st ballot HOF QBs for the vast majority of their careers and only won 1 Superbowl with them. (McCarthy 2 seasons Favre, 11 seasons of Rodgers. Payton had 14 seasons with Brees.)

Their career records are almost identical in the regular season and playoffs. (Reg season McCarthy 156-94-2... Payton 152-89. Playoffs McCarthy 10-9 and Payton is 9-8.)

Both have had 4 losing seasons.

McCarthy has had a top 10 NFL scoring offense 13 seasons (3 times #1 including last season) and Payton has had 12 seasons of a top 10 NFL scoring offense (2 times #1.)

I guess there's a subjectivity that makes me think that SP is a considerably better coach than MM... But objectively they're virtually identical. The best arguments for Payton is that Rodgers is better than Brees, but that's marginal in my opinion, and Payton is more involved in the offense and the Cowboys offensive success under McCarthy is due to Kellen Moore.

Screenshot_20221226-113708.png

Screenshot_20221226-113904.png

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Broncos are saddled by the Wilson trade it is going to be hard for them to be in position to compete via draft and/or free agency in the next few years

Payton is going to go somewhere he can win fast
This is a good point. Someone probably isn’t taking that job if they have many options.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Broncos are saddled by the Wilson trade it is going to be hard for them to be in position to compete via draft and/or free agency in the next few years

Payton is going to go somewhere he can win fast

Payton can win with Wilson without question. He’s still only 34 years old, I have a really hard time believing he’s washed. The defense is also one of the best of the NFL.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Miami is going the wrong way too. Tyreke and Tua not looking so good anymore.
Hill looks fine. You’re right about Tua though. I don’t see Miami making a change at head coach or QB. As a dolphins fan, I want to hope Tua is the guy but I fear he’s just an average QB.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The Saints also still own his rights so whoever wants him bad enough is gonna have to trade for him.

This is why I think Denver is a dark horse. They have to hire someone who they KNOW can make it work with Wilson….to the extent that if that person can’t, then no one can. Payton is the only available guy that fits the bill, and the Saints will therefore get a higher price tag from Denver than they likely will from anyone else.

I don’t see Dallas or the Chargers firing their current coaches while both are on an upward trend in order to hire Payton. Maybe the Chargers would if they melt down over the next 3 games and miss the playoffs, but they have the inside track to the postseason now.

Another potential option is the Raiders. They have accumulated a lot of offensive talent, and McDaniel seems to have once again proven incapable of being a serviceable head coach his second go round. They may not fire him this year, but if they do they will be a serious contender.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Hill looks fine. You’re right about Tua though. I don’t see Miami making a change at head coach or QB. As a dolphins fan, I want to hope Tua is the guy but I fear he’s just an average QB.
That Miami coach is a dork. I could see his schtick wearing thin fast if he doesn’t win.

His personality seems like he’s better suited as a coordinator or position coach that wants to be the players’ buddy.

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Payton can win with Wilson without question. He’s still only 34 years old, I have a really hard time believing he’s washed. The defense is also one of the best of the NFL.
Wilson’s arm is toast.
Have seen him play this year?
Payton won’t win with Wilson.

And, I don’t know which front office is dumber, the Broncos or Browns.
BOTH made really bad moves to get their current QBs and all should be fired.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Wilson’s arm is toast.
Have seen him play this year?
Payton won’t win with Wilson.

And, I don’t know which front office is dumber, the Broncos or Browns.
BOTH made really bad moves to get their current QBs and all should be fired.

I don’t think Wilson’s arm is toast. But even if it was, Brees’ arm was toast for the last 15 years of his career. He still was prolific as could be under Payton. That is the point. The Broncos have to make it work with Wilson - he’s an untradeable, uncuttable sunk cost for the next 4 years at about $35 million per year. If Payton can’t do it, who can?

Last edited:

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

And it’s a $31.2 million dead cap hit if they cut him in 2026, so realistically they can’t do anything with him until 2027, when the dead cap hit drops to about $12 million.

For better or worse, it’s gonna be Wilson under center for a long *** time in the Mile High City. So for their sake, they’re gonna need the perfect marriage between QB and HC/OC moving forward.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I saw an article the other day that said the Texans are a good possibility too. I’d be OK with that.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Unless he is playing better with a new coach, he will be cut in 2025 and we will take the Cap hit. Very stupid to renew his deal before the season by the Broncos. He had 2 years left on his contract.

Do you mean 2026? That is the earliest he can be released based on the contract, and its a $31 million hit. Even if Denver somehow found another QB on the cheap before then, there’s no way they’d cut him and take that hit. They would keep him as a backup if nothing else.

ETA: They can technically cut him in March of 2024 before the 5th league day of the year in order to save on his 2025 salary, but they’d still owe him all of his 2024 salary while he played for somebody else. 2023 and 2024 are fully guaranteed for him. If they cut him before the 5th league day of 2024, that would be a total dead cap hit of $85 million, and a real cash hit of $35 million. Ain’t happening.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Jerry will overpay for him once the Cowboys have another first round exit. I hope that’s not the case as they are the only team I can bear to watch now since the Saints blow
I'm convinced no coach can get The Boys Back as long as Jerugh's running the show. The Saints too are my other NFL Team. Aren't The Boys the richest franchise? No excuse for the SB Drought they've been under this long.. Except the GM Sucks Balls.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm convinced no coach can get The Boys Back as long as Jerugh's running the show. The Saints too are my other NFL Team. Aren't The Boys the richest franchise? No excuse for the SB Drought they've been under this long.. Except the GM Sucks Balls.
I think the only pitch he can make to Peyton is that he trusts him enough to go hands off. I wouldn't trust that promise if I were Payton. But if I got a big enough contract guarantee, I'd be fine with it. THe problem with Denver is if he wants to compete for a championship, he is betting everything on being able to get Wilson back to form. I just assumed Wilson was falling off a cliff because he depended a lot on athleticism; is it really coaching that is the problem?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That Miami coach is a dork. I could see his schtick wearing thin fast if he doesn’t win.

His personality seems like he’s better suited as a coordinator or position coach that wants to be the players’ buddy.
I agree he’s dorky. I was not a fan of the hire and obviously to jury is still out… however, he’s done pretty amazing work with the offense. Miami had had a pretty putrid offense the last several years. The defense regression can be somewhat explained by 2 pretty big injuries in the secondary. All that to say, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with him this year.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
Do you mean 2026? That is the earliest he can be released based on the contract, and its a $31 million hit. Even if Denver somehow found another QB on the cheap before then, there’s no way they’d cut him and take that hit. They would keep him as a backup if nothing else.

ETA: They can technically cut him in March of 2024 before the 5th league day of the year in order to save on his 2025 salary, but they’d still owe him all of his 2024 salary while he played for somebody else. 2023 and 2024 are fully guaranteed for him. If they cut him before the 5th league day of 2024, that would be a total dead cap hit of $85 million, and a real cash hit of $35 million. Ain’t happening.
Would take the 2025 hit of $49M. But hey they aren't ready yet. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35329430/broncos-brass-believes-russell-wilson-say-qb-fixed

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I just assumed Wilson was falling off a cliff because he depended a lot on athleticism; is it really coaching that is the problem?

There are many factors, but there’s not much evidence that any of RW’s athleticism is gone. He hasn’t run a whole lot in recent years, but his yards per rush was better than last year. There were a lot of injuries with Wilson himself and his receivers. But above all, the offense was just a total mess with no rhythm or purpose, which is on Hackett. Its rare that you see a coaching hire so bad that a guy isn’t even allowed to finish his first season, but this was it. Hackett was arguably the worst ever head coaching hire in the NFL. He’s that bad.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Yeah, if he’s cut in 2025, that’s the hit they take. But what you’re missing is that his 2025 salary fully guarantees in March of 2024. So, all they’d gain from cutting him in 2025 is a roster spot. They still have to take a $50 million hit to the cap and pay him his entire 2025 salary. So at that point he’s not going to get cut unless he is physically incapable of playing football. Makes zero sense.

DC9A0517-54F2-4573-B4BC-51E12CAED5D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login