There is no way I would want to be a college coach in the current environment...

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think every coach who turned down Bama were fools. If there were others. So, what if you fail. You are being fired with a pocket fool of Jack but if you are successful, you have a pocket full of jack and a hand full of rings. They were all cowards. They must have felt insecure about their ability to win. They guy from Washington showed balls.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
I think every coach who turned down Bama were fools. If there were others. So, what if you fail. You are being fired with a pocket fool of Jack but if you are successful, you have a pocket full of jack and a hand full of rings. They were all cowards. They must have felt insecure about their ability to win. They guy from Washington showed balls.
You never want to be the person that replaces Saban. You want to be the person that replaces the person that replaced Saban.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You never want to be the person that replaces Saban. You want to be the person that replaces the person that replaced Saban.
You may not get another opportunity. You going to win at Bama, you may not win enough for them and would fire you but hell you be able to find another HC job, but you may never get another opportunity to coach at a school like Bama and a butt load of money. I stick by what I say. They were foolish not to take the job. They were cowards.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
except maybe for one season. The amount of work you have to do to keep your current roster plus still recruit would make me go insane. I'd be running to the NFL if I could.

I wouldn't want to be a coach in the previous era either...social media era.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Which coaches turned down Alabama?

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
17 that. I'll coach Bama for what they're paying. Fire me after a year or two? Oh darn. I'll go sit on my 1,500 acres I bought with 15 million in the bank and not have a care in the world.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
The way it's going now you gotta be both a coach and a salesman. Also you are at the mercy of how wealthy your alumni base is and how willing they are to throw gobs of cash at players every year. Also, your investments have no obligations to fulfill and can abandon your school for the next offer with zero repercussions.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
except maybe for one season. The amount of work you have to do to keep your current roster plus still recruit would make me go insane. I'd be running to the NFL if I could.
Perpetual unrestricted free agency is not tenable. And we didn’t need this lesson to learn that. Somebody(s) are asleep at the wheel.

Reactions: patdog and HRMSU

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Some people are built for pressure and thrive on it. I am a worrier and a pessimist by nature.

I like calm and relaxed in my old age but I would be a college coach tomorrow if I got paid millions. Do it as long as I could and then go live a life without concern of work any longer. Sounds good to me.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Supposedly Sarkisian and Norvell.
According to who? Their agents?

Go ahead and add Lanning to the list….after all….he released the statement that he was “staying at Oregon!!!” after rumors began to surface.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Supposedly Sarkisian and Norvell.
Sark has a better job.

Norvell never had a shot. The power brokers at Bama saw his photo from his playing days at Central Arkansas and a Boss Hogg looking fella in Tuscaloosa used his veto on Norvell.

1000012632.jpg

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login