These kind of MSU wins frighten and confuse me

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
If you cut the penalties in half yesterday it's a massive blowout. The only way they stayed in the game was because we kept extending possessions for them; to be faaaaaiiiir, some of those flags were pretty weak calls and terribly one-sided.

Reactions: Dawgg and WilCoDawg

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
If you cut the penalties in half yesterday it's a massive blowout. The only way they stayed in the game was because we kept extending possessions for them; to be faaaaaiiiir, some of those flags were pretty weak calls and terribly one-sided.
The targeting call was absolute BS!

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
No it wasn't. That was textbook targeting. You cannot launch yourself and make contact anywhere near the head.
I’ll have to watch it again, then. First time through, I didn’t see a launch nor did he hit with the crown of his helmet…

patdog

May 28, 2007
@patdog - I just rewatched and you are correct. Absolute definition of targeting. My first run through was at about 1:00 AM after an evening of heavy drinking and good eating with friends.
Ha. You’re definitely excused then. Live, it didn’t look like anything so it’s easy to see how the refs missed it. But on replay, it was pretty clear.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
Between the blocked FG-TD, our long home run TD and Texas A&M's timely drops, I feel like we used up three seasons' worth of good fortune Saturday.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Ha. You’re definitely excused then. Live, it didn’t look like anything so it’s easy to see how the refs missed it. But on replay, it was pretty clear.
I know that was text book definition since he jumped and their helmets made contact, but is that really what was intended by the rule? Haven't rewatched so maybe I'm misremembering it, but at the time, it looked like he jumped and then as he landed their helmets made incidental contact. So basically the exact opposite of targeting in the sense that he wasn't aiming/targeting the QB. Didn't launch into the QB, just jumped to bat at a ball and then landed.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
just when i get myself out THEY PULL ME BACK IN

Deer lord this team looked like playoof material
I mean, that was a solid win, but it was a win at home over a team that lost to App St. and squeaked by Arkansas and beat Miami by less in Kyle Stadium than Middle Tenn State beat them in Miami. In the SEC west, that's a win you just have to have to not have a ****** season. I'm expecting a similar game against Arkansas and Ole Miss and a harder game at UK (even though I don't think UK is that good, I think being on the road is going to make it difficult for us).

Reactions: patdog

randystewart

Jan 14, 2009
I know that was text book definition since he jumped and their helmets made contact, but is that really what was intended by the rule? Haven't rewatched so maybe I'm misremembering it, but at the time, it looked like he jumped and then as he landed their helmets made incidental contact. So basically the exact opposite of targeting in the sense that he wasn't aiming/targeting the QB. Didn't launch into the QB, just jumped to bat at a ball and then landed.
I tend to agree here. There was nothing "forcible" about the contact he made. He started to jump to bat a pass and then landed face mask to face mask in a very soft manner. I get people saying it was "the definition of targeting" but that is exactly why the definition needs to change. Targeting is meant for dirty plays and there was nothing dirty about that at all

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
just when i get myself out THEY PULL ME BACK IN

Deer lord this team looked like playoof material
I'm honestly not sure what's confusing. If you watched that game we were clearly the better team.

What I never really understood coming into the season was the hype around TAMU and Arkansas and even Kentucky. None of those teams coming in seemed separated from us, but everybody outside Starkville acted like they were significantly better preseason.

Glad I was right to be confused by that assessment.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login