Think UGA, Bama & Tenn in the playoff might piss people off?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
I'm thinking the next CFP poll has:

1. UGA
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Bama
7. Tenn

If Michigan, TCU & USC lose badly in their conference championship games, might we see?:

1. UGA
2. Ohio State
3. Bama
4. Tenn

I believe there is a good chance TCU & USC lose theirs, which might get Bama back in with 2 losses. Michigan is a long-shot, but imagine being responsible for choosing who goes if all 3 lose. There would be some pretty chapped-hides if 3 of 4 were SEC and to of those each with 2 losses.

Thoughts?

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Not. Going. To. Happen.

But I think you'll see Bama sneak in if those three teams lose.
OK, but who goes instead of Tenn in that scenario? You have one of the losers stay in, even if they lose badly? Michigan perhaps? If Ohio State drops 3 for the loss to a highly-ranked Michigan, why would Michigan not drop at least that much if they are handled by an unranked Purdue?

Kansas State looks damn good to me vs TCU, and Utah is the only team to have beaten USC this year.

I know it's not likely that all 3 lose, but I don't think it's far-fetched either.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
There is no way in hell that Ohio State would be in and Michigan not be after that *** whipping that happened in Columbus yesterday. Michigan and UGA are virtual locks no matter what happens in the championship games. Michigan may even take the #1 spot over from UGA on Tuesday. TCU and USC both need to win to keep Ohio State out. If they both lose, it would be OSU and probably Bama. Tennessee doesn’t really have a path after that USC loss and after they lost their QB.

Reactions: drumrcraig

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
There is no way in hell that Ohio State would be in and Michigan not be after that *** whipping that happened in Columbus yesterday. Michigan and UGA are virtual locks no matter what happens in the championship games. Michigan may even take the #1 spot over from UGA on Tuesday. TCU and USC both need to win to keep Ohio State out. If they both lose, it would be OSU and probably Bama. Tennessee doesn’t really have a path after that USC loss and after they lost their QB.
Maybe, but you really think Michigan would survive a bad loss to unranked Purdue? I doubt it. Then #2 Ohio State dropped 3 spots just by losing to then #3 Michigan. You don't think Michigan would drop a helluva lot more if they lost bad to Purdue?

• Angry
Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe, but you really think Michigan would survive a bad loss to unranked Purdue? I doubt it. Then #2 Ohio State dropped 3 spots just by losing to then #3 Michigan. You don't think Michigan would drop a helluva lot more if they lost bad to Purdue?

Of course they would, they just picked up the most impressive win of any team this season. Ohio State just lost, at home, by 3 TD’s, to Michigan. The CFP committee will not in a million years place a 12-1 Michigan, with that win, below an 11-1 Ohio State. It will never happen.

By the way, the 3 spot drop you are mentioning is in the meaningless AP and Coaches polls. New CFP poll isn’t out yet, and its the only one that matters.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
But they beat OSU, in a regular season game on the road. There is zero chance OSU would go over Michigan.

Reactions: TrueMaroonGrind

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I'm thinking the next CFP poll has:

1. UGA
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Bama
7. Tenn

If Michigan, TCU & USC lose badly in their conference championship games, might we see?:

1. UGA
2. Ohio State
3. Bama
4. Tenn

I believe there is a good chance TCU & USC lose theirs, which might get Bama back in with 2 losses. Michigan is a long-shot, but imagine being responsible for choosing who goes if all 3 lose. There would be some pretty chapped-hides if 3 of 4 were SEC and to of those each with 2 losses.

Thoughts?
If it happened, it would push the CFP playoff expansion even quicker. It's going to 12. Just a matter of time.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
One down, one-to-go for Bama. Ohio State in, Bama 1st out.

Two to go for Tenn? Tenn is now 1 spot behind Bama. With USC getting dominated & blown out, they surely must drop at least to 7 or 8, right? Unless Utah jumps from #11 all the way past current #7 Tenn, Tenn might be 1st one out if K-State handles TCU. If TCU loses close, maybe they drop to 5 ahead of Tenn. It could come down to margin of defeat if TCU loses.

K-State is no joke, They had a big lead at TCU before falling by 10. But they also played all but the first 2 drives of that game with their then backup QB, who is now their starter. This time, not @TCU and their QB will be better prepared than the first time. If they beat TCU tomorrow by a decent margin, TCU will have to drop at least to 5, probably more, depending on how bad the potential loss would be.

What then? Unless you have now #10 K-State leap-frog what is probably, as of tonight #6 Tenn, then a TCU loss puts Tenn at #5, with Michigan playing vs unranked Purdue.

Now Purdue is a real long-shot, unlike Utah was or K-State is, but crazier things have happened. I just can't imagine #2 Michigan dropping only 2 spot if Purdue upsets them. There is no way to paint that as a "good loss" like Ohio State's was vs Michigan. Does Clemson come into play if they beat NC?

I'd love to see what hell breaks loose if K-State upsets TCU & Purdue pulls a shocker over Michigan!

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
One down, one-to-go for Bama. Ohio State in, Bama 1st out.

Two to go for Tenn? Tenn is now 1 spot behind Bama. With USC getting dominated & blown out, they surely must drop at least to 7 or 8, right? Unless Utah jumps from #11 all the way past current #7 Tenn, Tenn would be 1st one out if K-State handles TCU.

K-State is no joke, They had a big lead at TCU before falling by 10. But they also played all but the first 2 drives of that game with their then backup QB, who is now their starter. This time, not @TCU and their QB will be better prepared than the first time. If they beat TCU tomorrow by a decent margin, TCU will have to drop at least to 5, probably more, depending on how bad the potential loss would be.

What then? Unless you have now #10 K-State leap-frog what is probably, as of tonight #6 Tenn, then a TCU loss puts Tenn at #5, with Michigan playing vs unranked Purdue.

Now Purdue is a real long-shot, unlike Utah was or K-State is, but crazier things have happened. I just can't imagine #2 Michigan dropping only 2 spot if Purdue upsets them. There is no way to paint that as a "good loss" like Ohio State's was vs Michigan. Does Clemson come into play if they beat NC?

I'd love to see what hell breaks loose if K-State upsets TCU & Purdue pulls a shocker over Michigan!

Nothing has changed for Michigan. They are in no matter what. Bama is in if TCU loses. 3 teams are set and its down to Bama / TCU for the final spot. That is all the drama that is left.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Nothing has changed for Michigan. They are in no matter what. Bama is in if TCU loses. 3 teams are set and its down to Bama / TCU for the final spot. That is all the drama that is left.
So, let's just spitball here just for the hell-of-it. DO you really think Michigan drops only 2 spots if unranked, 8-4 Purdue beats them by say 2 or more TD's?

As unlikely as it is that Purdue could beat Michigan, there must be some upset margin of victory over Michigan that would change your opinion on that, right? What would it be? You can't be that sure Michigan would survive a convincing loss to an unranked, 4-loss team, can you?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So, let's just spitball here just for the hell-of-it. DO you really think Michigan drops only 2 spots if unranked, 8-4 Purdue beats them by say 2 or more TD's?

As unlikely as it is that Purdue could beat Michigan, there must be some upset margin of victory over Michigan that would change your opinion on that, right? What would it be? You can't be that sure Michigan would survive a convincing loss to an unranked, 4-loss team, can you?

At an absolute minimum, they’d have to lose worse than they beat Ohio State (22 points), so I wouldn’t even consider discussing them being out unless you start getting to around a 4 to 5 TD defeat. Even then, I still think they are probably in.

A couple of case studies - in 2001 Nebraska still got into the BCS title game (not the final 4 but actually the final two) with a 26 point loss to Colorado in the last game of the season before the title game. To be fair, that Colorado team was ranked and finished 10-3. In 2014, Ohio State famously got into the first CFP in spite of a 2 TD defeat at HOME to a 6-6 Virginia Tech. And they won it, too. So, there is certainly precedent for great teams overcoming one stinker performance and still getting a chance to play for the ultimate prize. In Michigan’s case, they have by far the prettiest pelt on the wall of any team with their win over OSU, so its going to take an awful lot to make the committee totally disregard that. I think if the rankings were based on resume alone and no eye test, they would already be ranked above UGA.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
At an absolute minimum, they’d have to lose worse than they beat Ohio State (22 points), so I wouldn’t even consider discussing them being out unless you start getting to around a 4 to 5 TD defeat. Even then, I still think they are probably in.

A couple of case studies - in 2001 Nebraska still got into the BCS title game (not the final 4 but actually the final two) with a 26 point loss to Colorado in the last game of the season before the title game. To be fair, that Colorado team was ranked and finished 10-3. In 2014, Ohio State famously got into the first CFP in spite of a 2 TD defeat at HOME to a 6-6 Virginia Tech. And they won it, too. So, there is certainly precedent for great teams overcoming one stinker performance and still getting a chance to play for the ultimate prize. In Michigan’s case, they have by far the prettiest pelt on the wall of any team with their win over OSU, so its going to take an awful lot to make the committee totally disregard that. I think if the rankings were based on resume alone and no eye test, they would already be ranked above UGA.
Well, I hope we get to see, because I think it would be time to bring the popcorn!

One thing about Michigan, though, Even though they had great wins vs Ohio State & Penn State, the rest of their schedule was lousy-to-mediocre at best. 6 wins vs teams with losing records, another 3 vs decidedly mediocre teams, and one win (Illinois) where they needed a FG at the end to take a 2-point win.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Well, we didn't get the convincing win from K-State it looked like we might get, but it is still interesting. 2 of 4 lost.

Gonna be fun if Purdue manages to whip Michigan!

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I think gA and UM is safe. USC is gone. Now it comes down to how bad the committee wants a all SEC vs Big 10 playoff.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Gotta think just after the USC butt-whooping it was:
1. UGA
2. Michigan
3. TCU
4. Ohio State
5. Bama
6. Tenn

After TCU close loss, if they drop 2 it's Bama. If they drop one, still TCU at #4.

Too bad K-State let them back in late. A 2-3 score win would have been very interesting.

With the OT result it seems certain now, if not before that Tenn is dead-in-the-water. TCU would either be #4 or #5 going into the Michigan-Purdue game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login