Thinking about Jans more - in his tenure at State he has seen the following 2 scenarios...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
  1. Our only national championship coach ready to be fired 2 years after winning it
  2. Our football coach who was fired 10 months after accepting the job
I'm not saying they weren't warranted but could you question any coach that wants to restart the clock? Loyalty is the least of our selling points right now. As I said before, as long as Jans is our coach - I'm all for it. He is good at what he does.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I agree. I like Jans and I like the fact that his teams play hard. We need to get a few more scoring threats but we've gotten better each season he's been our coach.

Having said that, I also know that if he's not interested in staying here he's going to leave regardless of what we offer to pay him. All we should expect in that case is that our AD has a list of solid, qualified candidates who we can realistically get, and that we gauge their interest in small-town living.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
  1. Our only national championship coach ready to be fired 2 years after winning it

Especially when you consider…

3. The AD who hired him is now at another university.

I'm not saying they weren't warranted but could you question any coach that wants to restart the clock? Loyalty is the least of our selling points right now. As I said before, as long as Jans is our coach - I'm all for it. He is good at what he does.

Exactly

Reactions: SoulCatcher

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
So you mean we have a culture problem at our university? I'd like to know who is really pulling all the strings here, because we also ran off the AD that most everybody will try to blame, and he's been gone for a year and a half.

And we need to quit this 'small town living' nonsense, or that Starkville isn't for everybody. Well, it is for plenty when you are making the money that coaches do. It's not an excuse for Jans - he's been out and involved in the community forever and is a small town guy, and the people that say he hates Starkville are full of shlt.

Let's get to the real issues here.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I highly doubt lack of loyalty is a concern here. Those other coaches were fired/is on the hot seat for valid reasons.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Especially when you consider…

3. The AD who hired him is now at another university.

Exactly
It's been pretty well documented that Cohen had little to do with Jans getting hired. The folks who pulled those strings are still here.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
1. That’s legit dumbassery by a fan base.
2. Real recognizes real. I’m sure he new Arnett needed to go before the dans did.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

bsquared24

Jul 11, 2009
I just do not understand you folks who think we should be rid of Jans because he isn't loyal enough to not look around. As DS correctly says MSU certainly isn't loyal to its coaches, when they have a couple of bad years everyone wants them gone, it is unfair to not expect that in return. And I think the loyalty pushers miss the reality that is modern sports (pro, college, hs) that coaching is more like dating, not marriage. Neither side buys completely in and knows this could be something good, but in all likelihood it will fall apart in the end. No matter how great your fanbase is or how much money you have or even how successful you've been coaches that stay more than 5 years are the exception.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I just do not understand you folks who think we should be rid of Jans because he isn't loyal enough to not look around. As DS correctly says MSU certainly isn't loyal to its coaches, when they have a couple of bad years everyone wants them gone, it is unfair to not expect that in return. And I think the loyalty pushers miss the reality that is modern sports (pro, college, hs) that coaching is more like dating, not marriage. Neither side buys completely in and knows this could be something good, but in all likelihood it will fall apart in the end. No matter how great your fanbase is or how much money you have or even how successful you've been coaches that stay more than 5 years are the exception.
I've not seen a broad sentiment wanting to be rid of Jans.

Reactions: knock him out john

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
1. But he wasn't fired 2 years after winning it. We showed some loyalty and let him keep his job.
2. The Arnett situation was tough. Plus, everything from his plan to his personality was a total 180 from what was expected.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
It's been pretty well documented that Cohen had little to do with Jans getting hired. The folks who pulled those strings are still here.
Huh. Didn’t realize that.

But is that setup that existed when Cohen was here the same way now that Selmon is here?

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
This is big boy college athletics. Loyalty is not part of the equation. The top two concerns for good coaches and highly recruited players are (1) money and (2) a chance to win a championship. Number two leads to more of number one.

Reactions: dgsmith15

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The real issues here are our bipolar fans. Oh wait that's every fanbase for every school
Well, let's see. We have less alumni, less money, less students, less everything, than every other school. So that means, if we continue to do what every other school does, or use that as an excuse, we will remain exactly where we are.

Sounds to me like we need a training program for our bipolar fans.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Except Scenario #1 didn’t actually happen. We kept Lemonis. And Scenario #2 was pretty much known by everyone to be an interim coach without the title.

None of it really matters though. Arkansas is a higher ceiling program than MSU. By a lot. One of only three SEC programs to win a national championship since the tournament field expanded to 64 teams. If he actually was approached, he’d be foolish not to at least hear them out. No one should harbor ill will towards him for that. It also could have just been a leverage play for an extension, or it could have just been a smokescreen put out by Arkansas folks to cover up the Calipari courtship. I personally don’t really care. In today’s environment where nobody’s commitment extends beyond the next season anyway, any impact to recruiting is way overblown.

If he has 1-2 more years like the past 2, there’s a very high chance he will be gone, so enjoy it while it lasts and then get ready for the next guy.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Coaching is a fickle profession. One of reasons I never pursued coaching. You either win or you are moving or your schools has accepted they suck. It's apart of it. And if you win you are always looking for best way to win big and hit the jackpot. It's business. Fans get too tied up into a coaches loyalty in my opinion. Even guys who went to state weren't loyal. All of us don't work for state either so why should they be held to it. All these other coaches have no ties to msu except a pay check. Vic was different because his daughter graduated from state so he still has a tie here. But Jan's does not. Lemonis dad went to state but sounds like before coming to coach he really wasn't tied in. So it is what it is. It's a big money job. You win or get let go. If the coach wants a better job it is what it is. Better is relative so don't get caught up in maroon colored glasses.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You fail to mention something else that he should have seen with #1 and #2. He should have seen that both did not live up to expectations and failed miserably in a short period of time. One was terminated immediately when it was apparent and the other sits on a bucket now because the seat under him is so hot this year and hopefully that was eye opening for Jans.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Except Scenario #1 didn’t actually happen. We kept Lemonis. And Scenario #2 was pretty much known by everyone to be an interim coach without the title.

None of it really matters though. Arkansas is a higher ceiling program than MSU. By a lot. One of only three SEC programs to win a national championship since the tournament field expanded to 64 teams. If he actually was approached, he’d be foolish not to at least hear them out. No one should harbor ill will towards him for that. It also could have just been a leverage play for an extension, or it could have just been a smokescreen put out by Arkansas folks to cover up the Calipari courtship. I personally don’t really care. In today’s environment where nobody’s commitment extends beyond the next season anyway, any impact to recruiting is way overblown.

If he has 1-2 more years like the past 2, there’s a very high chance he will be gone, so enjoy it while it lasts and then get ready for the next guy.
I bet #1 could have happened if Selmon wasn't 3 months into the job.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
You didn't realize it, because it's not true.

Eh. I don’t know.

The impression I got from Drebin is that Cohen actually really was the smartest man in the room and delegated (or detached himself from the process some because he was pursuing an exit strategy granting limited autonomy to those with the necessary capital experience).

Reactions: lanceharbor7

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Is anybody really claiming that? It sucks that it got out that he was interviewing, and it would be nice if Jans were not willing to look after two years unless it were to go to a blue blood, but it's just not that big of a deal.

Our AD knows he has to really keep on top of his basketball coach candidate list. If he's competent, he was already doing that for the big two and baseball. The only thing that changes is fans know we aren't in a situation we were in with Mullen in football and Ole Miss is in with Kiffin in football, where they may have higher aspirations but there are very few programs that would be able to pull them away. There are lots of programs on Arkansas's level, so we probably aren't going to get lucky and keep jans for four or five years because the right job doesn't open up.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I agree. I like Jans and I like the fact that his teams play hard. We need to get a few more scoring threats but we've gotten better each season he's been our coach.

Having said that, I also know that if he's not interested in staying here he's going to leave regardless of what we offer to pay him. All we should expect in that case is that our AD has a list of solid, qualified candidates who we can realistically get, and that we gauge their interest in small-town living.

If we're being honest, we were only better this year because of Josh Hubbard.

And he is only at State because Ole Miss fired Kermit.

I'm not giving Jans a lot of credit there.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
I get what you’re saying but I’m having a tough time believing Jans is looking around at other sports and comparing himself and his job security.

I imagine he’s more ticked off that he took a job where the program had only been to the NCAAT 1 time in the previous 13 seasons and he went to back-to-back in his first two years, but the fanbase has show pretty weak support overall. For some reason we have a tough time fully “buying in” and showing up to sporting events that aren’t baseball the last several years. It’s bizarre. Recipe for a disaster as a SEC program.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Fan support for basketball is as high as it's been in years. It will never be what it once was for several reasons
1. Reseating of the hump killed a lot of local support
2. Tv. Every game is on tv and tv set times. So people just won't drive 2-4 hours because of games.

we do have a tendency to also lose big games that fans show up for. We won't more of those this year than past years but still dropped Kentucky and got waxed in the tournament. It is what it is. I expect if he comes back and we bring in some good players then more people will show if we are ranked or play really well in ooc. I'm once again tv plays in to that.

I think fan support is good. I care more about basketball the past two years than I have in a few years since and lost to liberty. Before that it was probably 2010 since I cared.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We have a reputation among non-MSU people as a very quick triggered and unrealistic fanbase when it comes to football and basketball. That is well deserved too. Obviously our "fans" don't agree.

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
Both coaches in this case absolutely tanked immediately following a successful season and with what was thought to be better returning talent than what was produced.

Arnett totally **** the bed by making too drastic a change of the offense and too soon, especially given the massive change in blocking schemes for the O-linemen. On top of that, he lied about it to keep top players & recruits on board.

The utter collapse under Lemonis of a baseball program of our stature and track record was mind-boggling. Sure, we lost some key players, but we weren't expecting to be as good the following year. We were exponentially worse...not even average within the SEC. How many times has that happened since Ron Polk first came on board and turned us into a consistent winner?

I think most coaches can look at the above situations and understand the desire/need to move on. You can take a step-or-2 back, but taking 6 or 7 steps back when taking 1 or 2 is reasonable to accept is not going to cut it.

Last edited:

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
But I think that's the point. It can change so quickly that restarting the clock is never a bad thing especially if you can go to a better program like Arkansas. I just didn't think he was at the point of wanting to leave yet.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Both coaches in this case absolutely tanked immediately following a successful season and with what was thought to be better returning talent than what was produced.

Arnett totally **** the bed by making too drastic a change of the offense and too soon, especially given the massive change in blocking schemes for the O-linemen. On top of that, he lied about it to keep top players & recruits on board.

The utter collapse under Lemonis of a baseball program of our stature and track record was mind-boggling. Sure, we lost some key players, but we weren't expecting to be as good the following year. We were exponentially worse...not even average within the SEC. How many times has that happened since Ron Polk first came on board and turned us into a consistent winner?

I think most coaches can look at the above situations and understand the desire/need to move on. You can take a step-or-2 back, but taking 6 or 7 steps back when taking 1 or 2 is reasonable to accept is not going to cut it.
We had a losing record under Polk my freshman year. This was after he had turned it around too.

Fishsqeezer

Jan 3, 2023
Eh. I don’t know.

The impression I got from Drebin is that Cohen actually really was the smartest man in the room and delegated (or detached himself from the process some because he was pursuing an exit strategy granting limited autonomy to those with the necessary capital experience).
That and he was an asshat with a liberal *** wife

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I bet #1 could have happened if Selmon wasn't 3 months into the job.
Why would it have been reasonable to fire the HC when it was obvious the pitching coach was the problem? Selmon did the rational thing and let the HC hire a pitching coach. It’s paid off, bigly.

Some of y’all really don’t get Selmon’s pedigree. Oklahoma could buy Alabama. Twice. And that’s his background. We didn’t hire a scrub, and we will not have him for long.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
We have a reputation among non-MSU people as a very quick triggered and unrealistic fanbase when it comes to football and basketball. That is well deserved too. Obviously our "fans" don't agree.
Yeah because they want the easy win

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
The problem is not that he would seek greener pastures. The problem is multiple people say that he is telling locals that Starkville isn't for him and it gets out that he is interviewing for other jobs while still employed. You have to do that through back channels and deny it if mentioned in public. Otherwise he is hurting himself on recruiting talent that ultimately build or destroy his resume. Pretty simple pr.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login