This guy is easily offended.

wpnetdawg

May 1, 2006
In response to the shadow box, Foglesong writes:

"Academic freedom is a fundamental concept at this university, but that doesn't mean freedom from the responsibility to ensure that our graduates leave here understanding what their employers will expect of them in a professional setting - things like taking care of the employer's property, workplace appearance, and resources," the president wrote.

It sounds fairly benign to me, but architecture professor Michael Berk says in response:

"I told him that memo was the most demeaning, degrading, dismissive and mean-spirited thing that a president could do to a nationally recognized school and its faculty," said Berk.

My recommendation to Michael Berk is that he immediately request a sabbatical and spend a few months in the real world so that he understands the real meaning of being demeaned and treated in a mean-spirited manner.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Everyone should try to teach sometime in their professional lives*, but those that hide behind the veil of entitlement due to the fact that may have tenure at a university need to have a little reality slapped their direction. Corporate America would slap that chip off his shoulder.

(*-I taught for two years albeit private high school, not public university)

Porkchop.sixpack

Jan 23, 2007
I mean, not only does the guy feel that way, but he tells the President that???? Now, I understand that there are constructive ways to give negative feedback to the head of a company. But, put it like that, and the President probably looks at you and says "I'm sorry you were so unhappy about what I said. You should probably look for somewhere else to work. And so that you have proper focus during your search, I am removing you from our employment."

So, not only does Berk feel that any criticism is inappropriate, he feels completely free to criticise the President of the University. I believe in a good dialogue between employee and employer. But, damn, you do have to understand there are limits --everywhere except in academia, that is. It's all bassackwards there.

hooptydawg

Nov 1, 2007
wpnetdawg said:
My recommendation to Michael Berk is that he immediately request a sabbatical and spend a few months in the real world so that he understands the real meaning of being demeaned and treated in a mean-spirited manner.

</p>Exactly. This douche obviously could not function in the 'real world' with such hissy fits.

HotMop

May 8, 2006
I'm saying he deserves the douche of the year award.

Cue pic of Douche.

Stormrider81

May 1, 2006
and sets a bad example for his students. There's a way to do things. I'm sure some of us here may not like our boss or some of the things he/she does. But, there is a way to conduct yourself and that is not it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login