This Iowa/SDSU game might have been worse than our 3-2 game

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
My heart will always tell you that any Croom Error game will be the worst brand of football ever played, but the Iowa game this past weekend was special.

The "good" news is that SDSU had more offense than we did against Auburn. We can keep that crown. We were also not as "efficient". Another MSU achievement.

Our game against Auburn did have almost 2x the total yard thanks to AU of course. Compare the game logs. What a **** show.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401405062

https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=282570344

Watching this game probably finished off some of those kids in the hospital.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I will always believe

We would’ve won that game had we punted instead of going for it on 4th down late in the game. We could’ve gotten another safety. Punter and defense were dialed in that game.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
If I remember correctly, our punter had pinned Auburn inside the 10 yard line three times in that game already. The obvious decision with about 3:30 left was to punt the ball and try to do it again, get another safety or force a turnover. But Croom said he had a “gut feeling” to go for it on 4th and 15, and the play we ran had two of our receivers running into each other trying to catch the ball. And guess what? Auburn fumbled like three plays later. If we had punted, we would’ve had the ball inside the 20 but nope, we had it at about our own 40. Then we threw another interception on the next play to end it.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I watched most of the Iowa/SDSU game, and was of course in attendance for Auburn/MSU 2008. While there was no offense clearly in either game, what Iowa/SDSU was missing was pure ineptitude.

Iowa/SDSU 2022: one missed FG, one turnover on downs (by SDSU on their final possession with 15 seconds left), one interception, two fumbles, one fumble lost, two actual defensive safeties
Auburn/MSU 2008: three missed FGs (out of four attempted), three turnovers on downs (all MSU), one interception, four fumbles, three fumbles lost, safety via holding in the endzone

Iowa/SDSU, while bad offense, was bad offense against a lower tier team (a good lower tier team, but nonetheless). Auburn and MSU had no such excuse.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
If I remember correctly, our punter had pinned Auburn inside the 10 yard line three times in that game already. The obvious decision with about 3:30 left was to punt the ball and try to do it again, get another safety or force a turnover. But Croom said he had a “gut feeling” to go for it on 4th and 15, and the play we ran had two of our receivers running into each other trying to catch the ball. And guess what? Auburn fumbled like three plays later. If we had punted, we would’ve had the ball inside the 20 but nope, we had it at about our own 40. Then we threw another interception on the next play to end it.

Gotta love that Sly Croom Gulf Coast Offense

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I watched most of the Iowa/SDSU game, and was of course in attendance for Auburn/MSU 2008. While there was no offense clearly in either game, what Iowa/SDSU was missing was pure ineptitude.

Iowa/SDSU 2022: one missed FG, one turnover on downs (by SDSU on their final possession with 15 seconds left), one interception, two fumbles, one fumble lost, two actual defensive safeties
Auburn/MSU 2008: three missed FGs (out of four attempted), three turnovers on downs (all MSU), one interception, four fumbles, three fumbles lost, safety via holding in the endzone

Iowa/SDSU, while bad offense, was bad offense against a lower tier team (a good lower tier team, but nonetheless). Auburn and MSU had no such excuse.

I am pretty sure at least two of those FG misses in the 3-2 game were within 30 yards. Auburn missed like a 21 or 22 yarder. And then fumbled twice at midfield while trying to run out the clock in the 4th. Naturally we did absolutely nothing with the ball either time.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
Stolen from Twitter…

But I cant believe they made them sick kids watch that game

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login