This is college football (sigh)

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I think it's funny to watch programs get silly with money. Like man go for it. Drop in $200M and still not get to the upper tier. Make it $500M. Still not get a return.

It's like watching gambling addicts give money away to families of athletes. Redistribution of wealth without ever once hitting the jackpot.

But keep on throwing money in the machine. You'll surely hit it one day ....

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Can we just all agree to ignore Elon and keep calling it Twitter? It's not even referred to as X. It's X, formerly known as Twitter. Like the Artist Formerly Known as Prince.
I refuse to even update the app.

Reactions: patdog

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
On the one hand, college sports is being ruined. On the other hand, Ole Miss is being undercut.
Confused Amazon Studios GIF by Amazon Prime Video

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Can we just all agree to ignore Elon and keep calling it Twitter? It's not even referred to as X. It's X, formerly known as Twitter. Like the Artist Formerly Known as Prince.
My reasons for quitting using it, have nothing to do with Musk. It is the second largest collection of mindless, stupid in the world... number one is TikTok.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It’s all in what you want to get out of it. I see very little politics in my feed. It’s all sports and farming related.
I was getting the things I wanted and it kept trying to force feed me other stuff, so I just got tired of saying I don't want to follow this. I'm sure I didn't set it up properly but my life goes on.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
This is America. It's good to be rich. College football is just catching up.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I’d like to know how much TAMU has spent in NIL over the last 2 seasons. I guarantee they haven’t gotten a return on that “investment”.
LOL One of my best friends was a BIG time Aggie so I used to keep up with their spending a bit not only in athletics but also in academics. Quite frankly, although many of their alumni have been super successful, I have rarely ever seen the school itself make "investments" which produced a huge return. Aggies gonna Aggie.

Reactions: TXDawg.sixpack

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
But I thought the Square, The Walk of Champions, Chicken on a Stick at Exxon, was enough to attract top talent?
You mean like Alabama claimed everyone wanted to play there because of their history while their bagmen were out working the high schools? College Football has been a joke for years but now it is out in the open for all to see.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bidding wars and stealing players. The portal and NIL will be the death of a lot of programs.

OM vs OSU bidding
The only thing different is the immediate eligibility of the transfer portal.

These bidding wars have been going on for years. Of course, you had the small threat of the NCAA screwing you over, but still.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

These bidding wars have been going on for years. Of course, you had the small threat of the NCAA screwing you over, but still.
Correction, some programs had a treat of the NCAA screwing them over while the blue bloods were free to enjoy their status.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022

While I agree the immediate eligibility is the main issue ruining college sports there are people who would never get involved in recruiting that are now making it rain***.

It's similar to how many people now gamble on sports betting vs the past. It's a whole lot easier to do both and well we like easy.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
A&M went all in one year on NIL and got their *** bit. They have backed way off from it. Ole Miss and Ohio State are going all in on NIL and portal. Getting 4- and 5-star guys out of the porta on paper looks great but why are these 4 and 5 stars in the portal. If they were worth a **** the schools, they are leaving would not let them leave. Some of them turn out to be good but I suspect more turn out to be not worth the money than ones who pan out.

Personally, I feel better about getting a G5 guy out of the portal because most likely he turned out to be better than expected and is trying to get to a P5. I don't think NIL is being wasted on those guys. They are hungry. A P5 guy leaving one P5 school to go to another I just ask myself why? I question their motives.

Reactions: BossDawg78

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I was getting the things I wanted and it kept trying to force feed me other stuff, so I just got tired of saying I don't want to follow this. I'm sure I didn't set it up properly but my life goes on.
Someone here told me you have to stay on the "following" tab instead of the "for you" Makes all the difference in the world. Only reason I have it is because it's the best way to keep up with my kids schools. Ads are the only things I see not related to Tupelo schools, msu, or stl cardinals.

BossDawg78

Jan 25, 2015
IF OM has a large-ish NIL, I just assume it's being funded by corrupt politicians and/or lawyers.
You know it is. They get stupid when it comes to recruiting. They'll drop their mortgage, car payments, etc. if it means it's going to some star-studded high schooler. They quite literally worship these recruits, and I mean that.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
What a douche for Lame to be complaining about spending NIL money to get recruits. Whiney *****.

BR2Madison

Dec 20, 2013
Just wait until a college team goes on strike 5 minutes before kickoff. Don’t laugh. It’ll happen. Just wait.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
Just wait until a college team goes on strike 5 minutes before kickoff. Don’t laugh. It’ll happen. Just wait.
As long as it's not us or our opponent, I'll find out about it from this message board. For 11 of our 12 games, I'll just turn the TV to another channel. Or even go outside! If it's the 1 game per year I bother to go to, I'll just go back to the tailgate and enjoy a few more hours with friends. And yes, players will go on strike. Probably not a whole team, but I could easily see 5-10 key players coordinate a strike before a key game.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login