This is now Zac Selmon’s athletic dept…

Oct 3, 2008
Last night was different. This feels like when Greg Byrne took our athletic dept & football program out of the dark ages. We caught up for a while, but have fallen behind. Last night was a message to the fan base, recruits, & media that we are going to compete in big-time college athletics. Our survival in the new SEC and new Power 2 depend on it.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Guy named Reggie. Played for the Yankees and at Oklahoma 👀

Former New York Yankees assistant coach and University of Oklahoma alumnus Reggie Willits joined the OU baseball program as volunteer assistant coach in January 2022. He coaches the outfielders and serves as offensive coordinator, developing the team’s offensive game plan.

Willits, who played at Oklahoma from 2002-03, was a member of the Yankees organization from 2015-21, including the 2018-21 seasons as the major league first base coach and outfield instructor. He also served as the club’s baserunning coordinator. During his stint with the Yankees, the team averaged 98 wins per season and reached the MLB postseason in all four years.

A former major league outfielder, Willits joined the Yankees organization as a minor league outfield and baserunning coordinator in 2015 and was promoted to major league first base coach and outfield instructor in 2018.

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
As offensive as we’ve been the last two seasons you could argue it takes some level of coordination to pull it off

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Last night was different. This feels like when Greg Byrne took our athletic dept & football program out of the dark ages. We caught up for a while, but have fallen behind. Last night was a message to the fan base, recruits, & media that we are going to compete in big-time college athletics. Our survival in the new SEC and new Power 2 depend on it.

As far as Selmon goes let's see how baseball plays out.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
not saying he doesn't care about baseball, but its pretty obvious he is making football the top priority around here. As it should be. He wont be judged by what he does with the baseball program.

He already has been judged on baseball, once.

He saw that team play the entire season last season, he was named AD a month before the season started. He saw them finish 9-21 in conference (27-26 overall) and not make the conference tournament for the 2nd year in a row. All he had to do was look back to the previous year and see they had the same 9-21 conference record and (26-30 overall). That's 18-42 and no conference tournament for 2 years (53-56 overall). That's unheard of around here so believe me he was judged by many. I can't say for certain Cohen would have done anything either though since he carries his testicles around in a hand made hemp sack hand knitted by his wife.

Irondawg75

Oct 4, 2023
He already has been judged on baseball, once.

He saw that team play the entire season last season, he was named AD a month before the season started. He saw them finish 9-21 in conference (27-26 overall) and not make the conference tournament for the 2nd year in a row. All he had to do was look back to the previous year and see they had the same 9-21 conference record and (26-30 overall). That's 18-42 and no conference tournament for 2 years (53-56 overall). That's unheard of around here so believe me he was judged by many. I can't say for certain Cohen would have done anything either though since he carries his testicles around in a hand made hemp sack hand knitted by his wife.
The point I’m making is as long as football and basketball are winning at a high level, that’s all that matters. He’ll never be fired because the baseball team isn’t winning.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
got the assistant AD and the assistant coach from OK before they join the SEC.

lets get some of their recruits now as well

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
The point I’m making is as long as football and basketball are winning at a high level, that’s all that matters. He’ll never be fired because the baseball team isn’t winning.
Fooball and basketball both have a hall pass for next 2 seasons. Baseball doesn't win this season, for the 3rd in a row, he will have to do something because no more hall passes for "The Bucket".

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It matters to a large portion of our fanbase whether you want to accept that or not........
That's a given, but it will have absolutely no positive bearing on whether we survive as an athletic program in a top league or not. Its only impact will be negative as it draws resources from what DOES matter.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
In the SEC, it absolutely does. Five of the last six national champions are SEC teams and if Arkansas knew how to catch a fly ball it would be six in a row.
And that does not matter one bit when it comes to whether we remain in a big league. No league makes decisions on membership based on baseball. It isn't even a consideration.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
And that does not matter one bit when it comes to whether we remain in a big league. No league makes decisions on membership based on baseball. It isn't even a consideration.
Then to hell with it then. Let's just leave the league because you're going to be disappointed if you think we're ever going to challenge the big boys in this league and have prolonged success in the sec in football. Oh yeah, our most successful stint in this league has been since the arrival of CDM. Since that time, we're 52-70 in the league.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Then to hell with it then. Let's just leave the league because you're going to be disappointed if you think we're ever going to challenge the big boys in this league and have prolonged success in the sec in football. Oh yeah, our most successful stint in this league has been since the arrival of CDM. Since that time, we're 52-70 in the league.
Actually we won it once, and won a division once. I'm just talking about staying in the big time league. FOOTBALL and a minor assist from men's basketball, those are the only two sports that matter, and they are what pays for everything else. Baseball does not figure into those decisions. We have to stay at least relevant in football. That does not mean winning titles. We can't let football become an afterthought. Putting too many resources into sports that won't help us stay where we are is not a thing we need to be doing. Things have changed, the next 10 years are going to be critical.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
We certainly need to remain competitive and improve our standing but I don’t get the fear of getting booted out of the SEC. Is there a precedent for teams getting removed from conferences against their will? Mississippi State is profitable and competitive and we produce talent that has benefited other organizations in both professional and college athletics. I don’t think we look as incompetent to the business folks as we do to fans who don’t know shite.

Reactions: DawgsNCowboys87

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
not saying he doesn't care about baseball, but its pretty obvious he is making football the top priority around here. As it should be. He wont be judged by what he does with the baseball program.
Number one, football should be the top priority; it pays the bills.

Number two, Selmon is going to prioritize football because he's a football guy - he played D1 and comes from football royalty.

Hiring John Cohen for AD was a huge setback for us. Selmon's spent most of his first year just playing catch-up. I wasn't happy that he kept Lemonis around, but I understand.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
We certainly need to remain competitive and improve our standing but I don’t get the fear of getting booted out of the SEC. Is there a precedent for teams getting removed from conferences against their will? Mississippi State is profitable and competitive and we produce talent that has benefited other organizations in both professional and college athletics. I don’t think we look as incompetent to the business folks as we do to fans who don’t know shite.
Of course there isn't. It's over the top cynicism. We'll all be dead and buried before this ever becomes a real consideration.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login