This is pretty bad

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
tWonderful publicity, isn't it? Our dysfunction (just a sample of it) is laid bare for all to see. This doesn't happen at UPC, so far as we know.
The couple that I know weren't mentioned. And what may have occurred was somewhat different than I was told or they evidently knew or heard....but it sounds as though there may be some secret power-grabbing by certain board members and secrets being kept from others. This is UGLY....makes you wonder if a few BOT members were trying to control everything. Knew there was arm-twisting regarding Caslen, but had no clue about how bad it was nor the trip by certain board members to meet him. Makes it sound like there was no serious consideration of any other candidate. Makes you wonder what really happened regarding the treatment of Darla Moore.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022
The lawmakers are upset over $10 million loaned to the athletic department out of regular funds to buy out a football coach's contract and a secret plane trip they took to meet with a candidate for university president who flamed out after 22 months on the job.

I thought the Athletic Department was flushed with cash?

I hope they are kicked out/Fired along with Tanner, he had a hand on this giving out extension to Muschamp and upping his buyout...

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I thought the Muschamp buyout money was put up by a donor?
That's what I heard and the article did say that it wasn't with public funds. A donor would get a 100% tax write-off by giving to the University and then the University loaning that money to the AD department. When the AD department repays it, the donor's money can then be used to fund University projects, whether they be facilities, establishing department chairs, scholarships, etc...

Reactions: York cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
That's what I heard and the article did say that it wasn't with public funds. A donor would get a 100% tax write-off by giving to the University and then the University loaning that money to the AD department. When the AD department repays it, the donor's money can then be used to fund University projects, whether they be facilities, establishing department chairs, scholarships, etc...

Why would they be upset then if the $10 million were given to the University with the understanding that it would be loaned to the AD for the purpose of the buyout?

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Why would they be upset then if the $10 million were given to the University with the understanding that it would be loaned to the AD for the purpose of the buyout?
Politics. Something to thrash hay over. Our board has been divided for a while....if that isn't obvious by now and I doubt that it has been resolved as one member stated. Regardless of what tacit understanding that there may have been as to how the money was initially to be used, the lending of the money is an arrow in one side's quiver.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18IsTheMan

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I thought the Muschamp buyout money was put up by a donor?
Ohhhhh, no. This ain't Texas. This ain't LSU. This ain't Oklahoma State. Rumors of our affluence from beneficence are just that - and always have been. We've had some nice gifts, but we are not awash in sugar daddies. People need to disabuse themselves of the fantasies.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Ohhhhh, no. This ain't Texas. This ain't LSU. This ain't Oklahoma State. Rumors of our affluence from beneficence are just that - and always have been. We've had some nice gifts, but we are not awash in sugar daddies. People need to disabuse themselves of the fantasies.
We have some....more than a few. But you are right nothing like Texas, Oklahoma State, Michigan, TOSU, Stanford, SoCal, UCLA, etc...etc...have. And most of the ones we have prefer to give to the University in general or for an athelitic facility.

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
This bit of information is getting interestinger and interestinger. It seems our BOT and political confluences along with internal power plays has been
worse than I'd imagined. More to be revealed I'm sure.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
So how come no one is running against them? The school and state should be publicizing these reelection bids and asking for others to come forward if they'd like to be a part of shaping USC. We should actively be searching for replacements all the time - without opposition there is no reason for any of these BOT members to examine their work and what they may be doing wrong.

Reactions: CWW

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
This bit of information is getting interestinger and interestinger. It seems our BOT and political confluences along with internal power plays has been
worse than I'd imagined. More to be revealed I'm sure.
I just hope it doesn't get any uglier than it already is....we don't need to give SACS another reason to come back on campus to investigate whether we should keep our accreditation.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
So how come no one is running against them? The school and state should be publicizing these reelection bids and asking for others to come forward if they'd like to be a part of shaping USC. We should actively be searching for replacements all the time - without opposition there is no reason for any of these BOT members to examine their work and what they may be doing wrong.
Not sure anyone without political connections could get past the screening commission (which is comprised of the SC House and Senate). But I guess anyone can submit an application.

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
"Four trustees who supported Caslen flew to Florida on a university plane to secretly meet him"

So do we know who they are and who authorized the use of the university plane?

There needs to be protocols and an approval process that is documented and transparent. What a mess.

Reactions: vacock and CWW

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
"Four trustees who supported Caslen flew to Florida on a university plane to secretly meet him"

So do we know who they are and who authorized the use of the university plane?

There needs to be protocols and an approval process that is documented and transparent. What a mess.
The article seemed to imply they were 4 of the 5 who were questioned, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Gamecock Lincoln

Jan 18, 2022
The article seemed to imply they were 4 of the 5 who were questioned, unless I'm reading it wrong.
Sounds reasonably. The names should be made public. And someone had to authorize the use of the plane. This should be public knowledge as well.

Reactions: CWW

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Sounds reasonably. The names should be made public. And someone had to authorize the use of the plane. This should be public knowledge as well.
Not sure how many trustees it would take to authorize the use of a plane for school purposes, but I would doubt it would require a vote of the full board. Also, the Governor could authorize the use of a state plane.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
I just hope it doesn't get any uglier than it already is....we don't need to give SACS another reason to come back on campus to investigate whether we should keep our accreditation.
I believe that when institutional or organizational irregularities are revealed involuntarily, there's usually more where those came from, particularly if the corrupt inner workings have been unchecked for a long time.

okccock

Feb 16, 2022
Hopefully, it forces the Legislature to revamp the BOT. It almost sounds like some at the State House are ready to blow the whole thing up and start over.

Harpootlian can go himself... I try not to be dramatic and negative and ridiculous like so many here, but I wouldn't put it past him to have more like sabotage than reform on his mind here.

That said what a poop show.

Reminder Calsen made light of sexual assault and blamed drunk women for their role in being SA and was also technically unqualified per the terms of the position. These five can go themselves too.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

CWW

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Feb 1, 2022
Harpootlian can go himself... I try not to be dramatic and negative and ridiculous like so many here, but I wouldn't put it past him to have more like sabotage than reform on his mind here.

That said what a poop show.

Reminder Calsen made light of sexual assault and blamed drunk women for their role in being SA and was also technically unqualified per the terms of the position. These five can go themselves too.
I agree about Harpootlian…he may have gone to USC Law School…but he graduated from CU! Don’t trust a Tiger!

Gamecock Lincoln

Jan 18, 2022
Not sure how many trustees it would take to authorize the use of a plane for school purposes, but I would doubt it would require a vote of the full board. Also, the Governor could authorize the use of a state plane.
I'm sure it's didn't require full board approval but there has to be (should bej) some process of ensuring this is an appropriate business trip. And the rest of the board should have been in the loop since it involved a potential candidate.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
I believe that when institutional or organizational irregularities are revealed involuntarily, there's usually more where those came from, particularly if the corrupt inner workings have been unchecked for a long time.
Business as usual for USC for many years.

wob

Jan 20, 2022
I'm sure it's didn't require full board approval but there has to be (should bej) some process of ensuring this is an appropriate business trip. And the rest of the board should have been in the loop since it involved a potential candidate.

No way. The board is too big and too political. If they were all in the loop, the word would definitely get out, and ruin the search. I think that's what keeps happening in all of these bungled searches.

Reactions: RAtheOLcoach

Taco73

Feb 6, 2022
Hopefully, it forces the Legislature to revamp the BOT. It almost sounds like some at the State House are ready to blow the whole thing up and start over.

Let's get the BOT out of the Legislatures hands. F these guys, they do nothing but suck the marrow out of our sports. Let them all get real jobs and screw up someone else's school.

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
Let's get the BOT out of the Legislatures hands. F these guys, they do nothing but suck the marrow out of our sports. Let them all get real jobs and screw up someone else's school.
As long as we are a state institution that will never happen. The best we could hope for is something similar to Clemson's board. Clemson has 13 board members. Seven are self-perpetuating lifetime members of which if a member dies or is no longer able to serve his or her replacement is elected by the remaining eight. The other six trustees are elected by the legislature to staggered 4 year terms.

RAtheOLcoach

Jan 20, 2022
A twist tp the conventional
Hahaha. Look at the make up of our board. And then look at their socio economic status. Then with a straight face tell me my original post was a lie. If you can do that you should be able to sell my ocean front property in Arizona.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
L /
Hahaha. Look at the make up of our board. And then look at their socio economic status. Then with a straight face tell me my original post was a lie. If you can do that you should be able to sell my ocean front property in Arizona.
I’m not sure I understand who you are talking about in post #25. The members of the BOT or those wanting a change?

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login