This is quite an interesting match-up tonight...

patdog

May 28, 2007
It's strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness. Pitt isn't quite as extreme on either end of the court as we are, but it'll be an interesting matchup. Could easily go either way. I think we've got to hit some 3s to win this one.

Reactions: DAWGSANDSAINTS

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
It's kinda the same story with us. We're going to have plenty of open looks. They will focus on Tolu.

If we hit shots at a reasonable rate, we should get this one. That's far from a sure thing.

Lawdawg.sixpack

Jul 22, 2012
Blake Hinson plays for Pitt. You may remember him from his year (or 2?) in Oxford.

Pitt’s center is named Federiko Federiko. He’s a gametime decision due to knee injury.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Blake Hinson plays for Pitt. You may remember him from his year (or 2?) in Oxford.

Pitt’s center is named Federiko Federiko. He’s a gametime decision due to knee injury.

I guess we better be prepared…

Patton Oswalt Eating GIF

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
It's strength vs strength and weakness vs weakness. Pitt isn't quite as extreme on either end of the court as we are, but it'll be an interesting matchup. Could easily go either way. I think we've got to hit some 3s to win this one.
I looked at their game log yesterday. They have I think 15 games of double digit threes made. Our season high for a game was 9 against Utah. We can win with only a few made threes, but we won't win if we give up a lot more than 10 of them.

Reactions: onewoof and patdog

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Hinson played two seasons at UMiss then transferred to Iowa State where he "did not participate" for two seasons. He's currently Pitt's leading scorer (15.6 ppg) and rebounder (6.2 rpg) plus he leads the team with 91 3's for the season. He's listed as a 6'-7" forward so I'm guessing Cam and DJ will be tasked with shutting him down. I feel confident that Tolu can handle their big. The key will be limiting Hinson.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
then transferred to Iowa State where he "did not participate" for two seasons.
Yeah, he had some medical stuff. The first year he couldnt play, and then the second year he quit the team a few weeks before the season started.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
We’ve gotta make some shots or we will be done in this tournament quickly. Not saying we’ve gotta have a 2004 Xavier type performance, but we haven’t even shot 25% from three since the Mizzou game (where we shot exactly 25%). We were 3-27 from three in the SEC Tournament. You can’t shoot 11% from deep and beat anybody with a pulse. We’re gonna need 4 to 6 made threes tonight, in my opinion.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Let's hope not.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Federiko Federiko is a game time decision for Pitt. He would be tasked with defending Tolu. Their D may be really weak in the paint without him.

Also funny-

Capel noted that one struggle Pitt faces in practice is that it cannot simulate Mississippi State’s size. In addition to Smith, the Bulldogs use 6-foot-7 senior forward D.J. Matthews a lot and will try to win by scoring inside. That will have to be something the Panthers adjust to as the game is played.

DJ Matthews, huh? I hesitate to predict what that would look like as a player profile.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

the last kingdom yaz GIF

Their point guard is Uhtred, Son of Uhtred. Misses a lot of games, out on raids and pillaging......

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We just need to establish making our points in the paint. When we do that everything else lines up fine, especially when we're driving to the goal.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
My worry is it’s easier to get hyped to play more intense defense than it is to suddenly become a better offensive team. But is postseason, let’s go!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login