"This is the guy we went after from day one."

patdog

May 28, 2007
This is like signing a 2* recruit from Hot Coffee, MS. We're all gonna be excited that we found a "diamond in the rough, the next Brett Favre or Jerry Rice." And occasionally, we're right. But more often we find out why he only had 2 stars.

DogStuckAtUM

Aug 5, 2021
Cat Rainbow GIF

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I'm sure that is true. Because you'll notice we do everything on the cheap. No buyout for a OLB coach.

#weareMillsaps.

Reactions: 85Bears and patdog

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
The fact that we hired Lebby, I can get behind. Young, energetic, offensive minded head coach that will call his own plays. Been a very good offensive coordinator. So I can appreciate his hire. What I don't understand is the ineptitude of this University. What is the plan with a first year head coach at a major "?" university. Is someone wanting him to fail before he gets started? Why is it so hard to hire a good defensive coordinator? Mullen had problems hiring and/or keeping one, Morehead couldn't find one, Leach found a hidden gem, Arnett had to take over play calling on defense from his. Why can't we spend money on hiring a decent defensive coordinator?

Lebby is behind the eight ball already. He's gonna have to score 40 points to keep us competitive.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The fact that we hired Lebby, I can get behind. Young, energetic, offensive minded head coach that will call his own plays. Been a very good offensive coordinator. So I can appreciate his hire. What I don't understand is the ineptitude of this University. What is the plan with a first year head coach at a major "?" university. Is someone wanting him to fail before he gets started? Why is it so hard to hire a good defensive coordinator? Mullen had problems hiring and/or keeping one, Morehead couldn't find one, Leach found a hidden gem, Arnett had to take over play calling on defense from his. Why can't we spend money on hiring a decent defensive coordinator?

Lebby is behind the eight ball already. He's gonna have to score 40 points to keep us competitive.
None of this makes sense. Mullen found a lot of good DCs, mostly from the G5. Leach got Arnett from the G5 (and he was actually headed to Syracuse).

Lebby chose his guy, not the university.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009

Mullen was the best CEO this university has ever had. He evaluated and hired lots of guys who ended up getting "bigger" jobs than MSU. The problem was he was hard to work for. Really hard. That's also why he was successful here. I wish he was as hard on himself as he was on our DCs. That would have helped late in the season when he was sniffing around other gigs.

Honestly, as good as he was at evaluating coaching talent (minus the weird Sirmon hire), I'd consider him for an AD at a lower-level school.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Well, anytime you hire a coordinator for HC, I would think it's a lot of work to assemble the first staff. There is the story that Byrne allowed Mullen to hire his staff but at some point things ran long and Byrne ordered Mullen to hire Hudspeth.

Anyways, as to why we didn't hire Durkin or steal another sitting DC.... I have suspicions. Those are the same reasons we don't sign any 5 stars, few 4 stars and have classes full of 3 stars.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
None of this makes sense. Mullen found a lot of good DCs, mostly from the G5. Leach got Arnett from the G5 (and he was actually headed to Syracuse).

Lebby chose his guy, not the university.
Matt Brock - 23
-----------------
Arnett - 22
-----------------
Shoop - 19
-----------------
Grantham - 17
Sirmon - 16
Diaz-15
Collins - 14
Diaz - 10
Torbush - 09
------------------
Ellis Johnson 06

Money played a key part in the changing of a lot of these DC's along with Mullen being an *** to work for. Money isn't the issue currently. Hiring Alabama's linebackers coach isn't the key to turning around a struggling football program. Whether it makes sense to you or not, I don't care. There's a reason we have who we have at DC for 2024 and it's not because we got the guy we set out to get after the hiring of our Head Coach.

We had to hire a second DC after hiring the Alabama LB's coach. Wonder why? In two years, I'd bet at least one and maybe both DC's aren't here.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Mullen was the best CEO this university has ever had. He evaluated and hired lots of guys who ended up getting "bigger" jobs than MSU. The problem was he was hard to work for. Really hard. That's also why he was successful here. I wish he was as hard on himself as he was on our DCs. That would have helped late in the season when he was sniffing around other gigs.

Honestly, as good as he was at evaluating coaching talent (minus the weird Sirmon hire), I'd consider him for an AD at a lower-level school.
You’re also describing John Cohen.

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022
I wish he was as hard on himself as he was on our DCs. That would have helped late in the season when he was sniffing around other gigs.
it's my privilege to extend to you a laurel... and hearty thumbs up for this, one of the truest statements ever on the board. He, and by extension we, had all the potential in the world when he was focused.

laurel and hearty handshake.jpg

Reactions: aTotal360

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
He left for the same job at Florida. He was the "lateral move" guy. I wouldn't have minded seeing him again here though.
Rosey and Bo Bounds confirmed that Psycho Geoff was waiting for more of a blue blood position to open up. And that tells you all you need to know in this day and age of college football. Those guys, more than ever, want to go where the talent is, and that's the blue blood teams. We are not going to be able to attract the big names anymore. We have to go against the grain and hire people like Leach, and our coordinators are going to have to come from the G5.

I hope Lebby is a guy like that, just young. Leach was young when he was first hired too.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I'm going to go out on a dangerously thin limb and say that if Lebby ends up being a solid coach, then this hire will be looked back on as a good hire.

I like it a lot better than I liked the Barbay hire from Day 1.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login